So, today was the day...

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Little update.... I think I've cured a leak! (i'm sure the car will provide me plenty more!)

I was still getting a dribble of water in boot after heavy rain (and yes, we've had heavy rain!). However, it wasn't coming in from the light seals, so was a bit confused.
Then whilst doing some cavity waxing on the back arches.

I noticed the near side was like this (this was after Cavity waxing) - We're looking in through the hole the plastic flappy vent normally occupies.

when I went to the OS, it was like this:

Now, if you look carefully, there's a hole on the "floor" of the section, but on the O/S, you can just make out a drainage hole, on the side, running parallel to the floor hole. Not so on the NS!

So, under heavy rain, water would build up here (its a drainage point for the sunroof amongst other things), drain for the floor hole into the bumper sponges, and the Side hole drains out into the bumper cavity behind the arch liner. However, as it couldn't drain out to the side hole, it would fill up, and very slowly work it's way through the seam.

Needless to say, the hole is now cleared (build of debris) and both areas thoroughly cavity waxed!

The plastic side vents then went back with some butyl tape sealing the edges for good measure.

Speaking of Butyl tape, I've got plenty to remove as I'm now running without side bumpers...

As you can see, whilst I've got a great bumper bar, I've got lots of bodywork to do! Only the roof has escaped damage.
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Another day, another update!

I mentioned a few posts ago about trying to source some washer jets. If you didn't know, they're no longer available from Volvo and snap the moment you even look at them.

Well, I've now tested using Land Rover Defender washer Jets. They're a nice double jet and they work!! Would I recommend them.... Well, sort of.. Read on!

I foolishly started with the N/S one - Oooo look at that! It's quite nice!

It's a little bit tight at the bottom, but certainly workable.

Then I went to the O/S. :angry:

It became apparent the only way to fit it, was to remove the wiper motor mechanism, because the thread for the washer jet is right in front of the motor.
Then having removed the wiper, it became apparent that to refit, you need to half install the washer jet, with enough space to move the windscreen trim piece around, because the washer jet clamps down slightly on this piece (and the rubber grommet below). Once half tightened in place, you can then refit the wiper mechanism (because the two bolts holding it are under that windscreen trim) but DON'T refit the two bolts that are on the bulkhead.

This is because you need ALL the space you can get, super slim fingers, the patience of a saint and a plentiful supply of swear words to now tighten down the nut on the washer jet.

See that nut in the middle? THAT's how little space you've got! You're also working blind and at a back-aching angle.

Once tight you can fasten everything back down...

Looks quite nice doesn't it? I had to pull a little excess tubing through to the washer jet and need to clamp it down to the bulkhead floor, as there's a chance that when the wipers are operating, the pipe could rub on the moving arms.

Now the final check.... Bonnet down!

Ooooo that's close! Is there clearance?

Just!
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm confused by the flappy vent - what the heck is it and where do I find it ?
cheers
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:I'm confused by the flappy vent - what the heck is it and where do I find it ?
cheers
The plastic vent with the flaps in it - It's hidden behind the rear bumper

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 pm

ah, that be why I didn't recognise the pics :lol: have to get himself to start removing rear bumpers, disposing of sponges and clearing out drain holes - he'll be thrilled !
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I'd say it's an absolute essential!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Here's a better picture:

So, as you can see, the plastic shelf is where the foam sponge sits, slowly absorbing water and generally adding zero use.

You can see clearly the black flappy vent and the butyl tape around the edges of it - In hindsight, probably of zero use, but hey, I've got plenty of it!
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for that, hubby's job list for Friday now reads 'remove rear bumpers from all 4 480s' (I'm good at writing lists for him) but actually I'll settle for the ES having her rear end exposed as she had a brand new bumper bar fitted about 2 years ago (lucky purchase from a well know auction site) I knew it would come in handy when I went under the GT for the garage's appraisal shortly after I bought it and spotted the lace curtains masquerading as a bar. Surprisingly, it still passes the mot every year with lace curtains no doubt getting more and more holes, whereas the ES failed on far fewer holes. I'm not sure I want to see what's behind the GT's bumper now, or rather what's not there, especially as it's held on by 'limited edition' screws. I have a feeling this is going to progress from a job for Friday into a week of bad language and mulitudinous soothing cups of coffee. Meanwhile, our latest project (white turbo) passed the mot today with just a comment that the wiper blades aren't great, so my next priority is the fact that she leaks like a sieve. I've got horrors to repair under the rear hatch seal, then a 440 seal to go on, if necessary with plastic hose inserted to plump it up. Next will be polishing the rear light clusters (thankfully intact) and making new seals which is also my department. Incidentally, someone on the auction site has listed a foam insert for a 480 rear bumper........
Sylvia

hubby has

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Hey Jifflemon,

Enjoying the updates; keep them coming! Just one question, who do I contact/beg for a pair of these?

Here's hoping....

Cheers, Jay.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:Hey Jifflemon,

Enjoying the updates; keep them coming! Just one question, who do I contact/beg for a pair of these?

Here's hoping....

Cheers, Jay.
Hey Jay! Good to see you're back - tried sending you a message via your website to see how yours was coming along, but the message bounced.

You don't have to beg - You simply drop Joep a message via Facebook, and he'll sort you out.

I simply cannot stress how good these bits are. You'd be hard pressed to tell them from OEM parts (apart from the fact volvo never sold them!). Look at these for example:

Notice how they're even marked? THAT is attention to detail!

Honestly 480 people, if you haven't ordered some stuff of Joep, do so now! Keep these bits in your personal stock, because if you don't support people like this, they stop making stuff!
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Little update from today - the interior finally went back in!

Took the opportunity to give it a good vacuum out first, then in goes the sound deadening

Then the carpet,

pausing only to give it yet another scrub and vacuum, before putting the seats in

Whilst I'm waiting for my dashboard to return from it's holiday in the netherlands, I removed the rear part of the dashboard holder, to see if I can add some strength back into the many, many broken fasteners.
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:20 pm

So, as mentioned, dashboard currently getting reinforced. Gorilla Glue seems good (not pretty though)

Took advantage of the weather and finished bleeding the brakes on the N/S of the car

And as the wheel was off the NSF....

You can see the wheel cleaner at work, doesn't really shift the wax; petrol does! But you can see how thick it is in places. God only knows what it must have done to the wheel balance

And clean!

Took the NSF arch liner out and found this lurking....

So following a degrease and a blast, was left with this

Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Would be glad of those photos of carpet removal on Jim's 'how to' thread. I have a 'last chance' opportunity to retrieve the carpet from the scrapper that gave me its half leather interior (well, most of it) It's off to the crusher shortly so I have to twist Al's arm up his back if I want it (yep, of course I do)
Sylvia

hubby has

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Shall add them in now!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 am

jifflemon wrote: Whilst I'm waiting for my dashboard to return from it's holiday in the netherlands, I removed the rear part of the dashboard holder, to see if I can add some strength back into the many, many broken fasteners.
There's a bit of delay, I am extremely busy these days with work, and was away to a small family reunion in Germany last weekend. Sorry for that. I will try and fix your dashboard this weekend and will subsequently post it back to you.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

brinkie wrote:
jifflemon wrote: Whilst I'm waiting for my dashboard to return from it's holiday in the netherlands, I removed the rear part of the dashboard holder, to see if I can add some strength back into the many, many broken fasteners.
There's a bit of delay, I am extremely busy these days with work, and was away to a small family reunion in Germany last weekend. Sorry for that. I will try and fix your dashboard this weekend and will subsequently post it back to you.
Oh don't worry, I've PLENTY of things to be doing until it's return; Life comes first, cars (and the fixing of) come second.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am

Small update - the rear bumper bar is back from blasting!

There's the tiniest bit of pitting on the steel as you can see below

Next stop is the powder coaters, with these bits....

followed by a very healthy injection of cavity wax!
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:57 pm

I tackled 'carefully' the rear bumper bar with a grinder so I could find some steel to weld on some tabs to hold the vertical bumper trim screws, most of it below the bottom row of holes was 'elsewhere'

I like to think on it as the 'super leggera' version.

outer 4" also chopped off as they were also very thin.

looks like you have a VERY solid car to work with :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm

If
Alan 480 wrote:I tackled 'carefully' the rear bumper bar with a grinder so I could find some steel to weld on some tabs to hold the vertical bumper trim screws, most of it below the bottom row of holes was 'elsewhere'

I like to think on it as the 'super leggera' version.

outer 4" also chopped off as they were also very thin.

looks like you have a VERY solid car to work with :-)
If you need any photos, measurements etc, just let me know!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm OK for now I think,

it's all back together with tabs welded on!!

bit annoying that most of teh rest of our car is fairly 'sound' :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1