Hello from a Newbie

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Oddballer
480 Newbie

Hello from a Newbie

Post by Oddballer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi, I'm Arthur.

I'm from Norwich UK, although i can often also be found in Birmingham and the Midlands.

I've Owned a 480 Celebration since March this year so thought it was about time i joined the forum! :)

I was going to post a few pictures here but seems the forum automatically thinks i'm a spammer....Nevermind!

Since getting the car and re-commissioning it - MOT, service, new Cambelt, new Water pump, suspension bushes and a few other parts i've not had much time to drive it due to my work. But, i love the fact that its a bit different and quirky....even if that comes at the price of a few leaks and malfunctioning electronics (Instrument pack to name but one :wink: ).

In the last few weeks its had some new wheels and some parts swapped over from a donor vehicle i was lucky to acquire. These include uprated shocks + lowering springs, stainless cat-back exhaust and the holy grail of great condition rear lenses!

If anyone was at Retro Rides Gathering you may have seen it there.

I look forward to meeting some of you and your 480s in the future! :D

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: Hello from a Newbie

Post by Martin Mc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Arthur and congratulations on your choice of Retro-Ride :)

It certainly sounds like you are lavishing care and attention on your car - if you post 10 times on the forum, you are then eligible to upload photos, so do reply to this, and post on other threads too.

If you are suffering from dodgy electrics, particularly dashboard woes, then might I suggest you drop a line to Brinkie ? Robert is based in the Netherlands, and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the dashboard circuitry, also offering an excellent and fast diagnosis and repair service at a very very reasonable cost - I know as I have recently availed of his service, gaining a fully functional instrument panel for the first time since I acquired my car last year.

I know you will find the threads here an invaluable resource when faced with the quirks and challenges of being a 480 owner. You will also find the membership more than happy to help out with answers to seemingly intractable problems, and with hard to get parts that are no longer in production.

Thanks for taking the time to say hello - and thanks for the heads up about Retro-Rides :) I will certainly be lurking on that website in future months, and hopefully getting involved in some of their events too.

All the best!

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Oddballer
480 Newbie

Post by Oddballer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks Martin,

I'll bear that in mind!...and i'll certainly be contacting Brinkie.

I've had a look through some posts in the forum before and had a go with the soldering iron on the pack but to no avail, so time for some expert help i think!

Cheers

Arthur

Gorgechristian
480 Newbie

Post by Gorgechristian » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi, same here! I owned 480 since 3 months. I was going to post about my ground speaker amplifier - Coasting Ground Adapter for Car sound line level flag and the amplifier datasheet source link but also I got a message that I'm a spammer! Never mind too.

Regards
Menzel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello to you both! Apologies for the teething troubles in getting you started, but hey your here now, so that's something at least!

It's worth posting a few comments just to get the post count going, that way the forum doesn't go into melt down.

Pictures - Oh we love them - Have become a bit of fun since the demise of photobucket; I've personally gone with google pictures, because I had it to hand.

Brinkie? Lord of the dashboard, thoroughly good all rounder. Well worth sending your dash on holiday.

Gorgechristian
480 Newbie

Post by Gorgechristian » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 am

No problem at all, we understand why it's happened. We can stay and enjoy here a lot to discuss so many things and I have already found so many information here. :D Thanks, VOLBO 480 Club. :)

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am

Well hello, newbie in Norwich ! We live 12 miles south and have 4 480s - I've had my 2litre since 2001. It would be great to meet up, but meanwhile if we can be of any help just let me know. Have you found the PM (private message) option yet ? It's on User Control Panel (top left) so you can use that if you just want to speak to me. We are having a meeting in 3 weeks time, starting in Northampton, we will then drive to the Lincolnshire area stopping for lunch along the way and ending up in a pub/restaurant for an evening meal. If you would like to join us, please do, even if you can only make part of the day. Full details will be posted at the end of the month, the meet is on Saturday 7th. Hopefully we will see you then. Any other newbies out there who would like to come also warmly welcome.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Menzel and welcome to this wonderful bunch of Volvo 480 fanatics. It is in general a very reliable car (*knocks on wood*) but there are numerous of little niggles that can spoil your day. Once you have everything sorted, it will be such a reward to drive. :)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Gorgechristian
480 Newbie

Post by Gorgechristian » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

Hi, Brinkie, thanks for the warm welcome!

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:34 am

Hey Arthur.

It was great meeting you at the mini meet last weekend. I'm excited to see your 480 once she's finished. Good luck fitting those wheels. I was going to retro rides but didn't get there in the end, wish I had really. Next time!

Happy wedging :hopping:
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built