About to buy 480 Turbo - advice needed plz

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Mico
480 Newbie

About to buy 480 Turbo - advice needed plz

Post by Mico » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Hey guys

I am a new one here and couldn't be happier as I am just about to drop my cash on 1995 (last year?) 480 Turbo 120ps in Paris Blue with 191 000 km on the clock.

Do you guys know of any kind of guide on how to buy a good example please? I mean something like a list of things that go wrong with these cars and one must check before buying or something?

Also, if I could ask few questions please:

1. It is hard for me to find any reviews on the car or user impressions. What this car really is like? I was thinking of buying Alfa Romeo GT (love Alfas and Italian cars in general) but I came across these and it seems to be a well cared for example and I always loved the way 480s looked (and this one is a Turbo version too!). It seems to me that 480 Turbo is a car with a soul. Are there any major things I need to know about 480 Turbo though? I mean, what are their major flaws? What I heard so far about this car is: pros - looks, great driving position, good, equipment levels, flexible and bulletproof engine, comfort, sensation of occasion when driving (which is very important for me) ; cons - fit and finish not too good, small boot, not too sporty (I guess not too powerful engine and chassis?), parts are hard to get and expensive. --> is this basically true? What would you add or change? What about the suspension? Is it fairly durable (like the engine is allegedly?)? I don't car much that it has small boot as it is only for myself - if I need to put something more luggage I will use put it on the seats (are they foldable at the back?). I am not too worried it is not too sporty (I think I read somewhere it does 0-100km/h in 9.3 secs?). I prefer to cherish the drive and look different to all other bmws, audis and so on. Basically I am looking for something that will get me a label 'he's good tastej' and not 'he's got money', and it will give me a sense of occasion every time I drive it and make me want to drive anywhere really just for the sake of driving. Are the parts really that hard to get and expensive for it? What breaks the most in these cars please?
I will be driving this car daily but low miles (I am a DJ, and have no family or pets). It will be done in south Spain so in warm climate year round and with little rain/no snow. Economy wise I am expecting for this car to return me around 10litres/100km in urban driving and around 7 litres/100km outside urban with not too quick driving around 100-110km/h (again - I want to cherish the car and driving it - not to get somewhere quickest :) )

2. The only thing I think I would like to change in this particular car I am thinking of buying is changing the wheels to something around 17 inches (18''s could be too big?). Which ones would you guys recommend going for with this model (and these that fit) please? I would like to keep the shape similar to the original ones (+maybe go for black ones).
Something like the Volve Pegasus wheels (silver or maybe black? ) ?
I mean I love the way it looks and don't want to add too much to it (tune it visually). I don't want to put any body kit on it or spoilers. I was just thinking about the wheels - I like the way they look but just a bit too small imo?
Maybe lower it a bit at the same time but ain't sure? I would have too look how much I like it with 17''s on - maybe that would do the trick? What's your opinion/experience guys?

3. The last thing I am curious about is the engine. Is it really that bulletproof? Can I improve the engine noise easily with simple KN filter and/or back exhaust? (I am not after loudness but just 'character' and engine responsiveness). The engine has 120ps and only 175Nm of torque - I am thinking that torque is a bit low? I had ford puma before, also 1.7 but no turbo but it had like 160Nm of torque so it surprises me this engine has only a little more although it is turbocharged. I think the turbo runs at 0.35 bars which is fairly low? Since it is a turbo engine, can I fairly easily get it chipped or this engine is not that prone to chipping? If you guys chipped it, what kind of power and torque increases did you get? Is the standard/factory ancillaries holding that well (I mean clutch, gearbox etc) ? - I think I would like to get it chipped but don't want to invest more money because 'the clutch will not bear the new power' and so on.

I am sorry for writing so much but I am really excited about it and can't wait to view and drive the car on saturday.
Any of your kind input here greatly appreciated.

many thanks and greets

ps. They want 2500 euros for it which I suppose is a bit steep but.... the condition of the car seems rather (really) good?
ps2. I have pics for the car on line but the forum site doesn't allow me to post any 'off-site URLs' unfo. I am more then happy to send these links to anyone if you guys wanted to see and express your opinion/advise me.

isak
480 Newbie

Re: About to buy 480 Turbo - advice needed plz

Post by isak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 am

Have fun with the Alfa!

Swanny
Started learning about 480

Post by Swanny » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Mico,

Good choice, you certainly have good taste! In my experience of owning and reading this forum, if you invest in one you will be constantly replacing parts, fault finding, complaining etc. but I've not come across anything really expensive (yet, fingers and toes crossed) and you can guarantee that if you have a problem with the car, someone else has had it already and has probably posted a solution. The most expensive thing for me was bodywork as I had to replace the 2 rear arches and repair the fron ones due to rust, but I did only pay £600 for the car. I'd say rust is a big problem, but if the bodywork looks good then this might not be a problem yet. 2000 Euros sounds steep but I'm not sure about prices in mainland Europe, it should be a good example for that price. The good news is there are always some being scrapped so there are plenty of parts around, and the guys on this forum are very helpful and generous. As for power, take some time to thoroughly read up on the forum on robou and richmod (boost ecu remaps), for under 100 Euros you can get maybe 30% power increase. I was lucky overall with my purchase, but I'm sure there are some horror stories out there, this is just my opinion of owning (18 months) and I haven't asked for my £600 back yet :D Let us know what you decide.

Swanny
480 Turbo S/R 'Matilda' - '89 red - Norfolk

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:53 pm

If you like Alfas, you'll love it.

Tempremental electrics, sometimes dodgy build quality, lots of time pulling your hair out chasing silly little faults.

BUT.
On the odd day when everything works and the sun shines, show them a B road and they are absolutely fantastic little cars.

I've always said that the 480 was Volvo's first attempt at making an Alfa Romeo.
They got it absolutely spot on first time! :D
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!