Blinky 51/480

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Re: Blinky 51/480

Post by brinkie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:32 pm

arthuy wrote:Further investigations on the speedo.

I pulled the dash out to check I had put the the cables back on correctly (I had done). Whilst I had the dash out again I took out the full beam bulb and painted it blue. I found that the blue was faded making the symbol appear white.
The symbol hasn't faded, they are white by design.
Only the first few model years had the symbol in blue.
Apparently it was too faint in blue so they made it more obvious that the full beam is on.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Cheers Robert, It is a little bit distracting but then I have other cars which is hard to tell if the symbol is on or off.

Todays work involved removing the left hand drive shaft to replace the inner boot which was leaking. I really wish I hadnt followed the haynes manual as it said to remove the ABS sensor, I now have a broken ABS sensor :angry:

The rest of the removal was ok, gave the subframe a brush down and paint whilst I was in there. Removed the rusted dust shield. I had to use a couple of bolt grips to get the bolts freed off. Strangely it looks like the diff cover has been patched up with putty, it doesn't leak but I will look for a replacement.

Other breakages 1 brake carrier to hub bolt (head chewed), screen washer jet which I leaned against.
Last edited by arthuy on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Also even more confused with regards to the VSS location. I have looked and looked and there is no sensor. I have two theories, 1st is that it doesnt have one and the speedo is determined via one of the ABS sensors (most likely the now broken one). The 2nd theory is that it has been removed for whatever reason, but even at that I cant see a bit of harness or plug anywhere near.

I have the M60 box and found a couple of photos of an M60 box and the only possible location is right on the mating side.

However on my box there is nothing there and as I said no obvious wiring.

So if anyone can help me figure out what has happened to the VSS or whether there should be I would be very happy.

Obviously the ABS sensor is hard to get so I have bought a 2nd hand hub with sensor so fingers crossed it is ok.
Last edited by arthuy on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 pm

last picture on the post above this one , the speedo sensor cable is in the black plastic trunking its a blak wire follow it . Have sent you 2 pms more details in them.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks Jim,

I thought I was going mad but have found the VSS and the loom plug so can probe it tomorrow. I know that both the starter and clutch were done at some point so hopefully they didnt damage the sensor in the process.

Got to say that this is one of the reasons I am not a fan of Renault, once I traced the cable I removed the heat shield and still wonder how you are supposed to get into it. It is almost as if the design everything to be done as box out job, I had a Renault 19 and to get the alternator out you had to drop the suspension, the alternator was 11" and the aperture before dropping the strut was 10" or something like that.

Another little thing for me to do is fix one of the caliper carriers, the retaining rings for the slider gaiters have disappeared from one of them. A couple of washers should do the job.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Spent a bit of time on the car this morning.

Rear washer jet got some attention.

The original jet or whats left of it and the land rover item. Simple case of cutting down the LR one and drilling out the volvo part. I did tape the thread out a bit to help connect the two and made sure that there was a nice clean hole through the centre.

Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Bolted the LR jet to the base of the volvo bit and used epoxy putty to build it up.

Could have left it squared but decided to put a little point on it in the style of the original.

I used the putty to join the parts and will sand it down later and paint it black so that is one problem sorted.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 pm

The front jet broke when I leaned against it yesterday.

The other LR jet is too long as it comes but could be trimmed down to clear the bonnet.

I will fit a pair of the short jets, I tried one and it can clear the plastics and hit the screen with the twin jets.

Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Managed to trim some washers to make retaining rings for the guide pin boots.

And gave the carriers a lick of paint.

Not bad for a mornings work. I did put the meter on the VSS and it is around 2ohms, the cable from the CEM is about 2Mohm and 2volts. I thought it would be a solid ground and 12volts.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Loving the work on the rear jet!

For the front I used Landrover defender jets - you can see them here

They just clear and give you quad jets.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 pm

This afternoons work was supposed to be renewing the brake pipes but the under side needed a good wire brush as I would hate to leave rust under a nice new pipe.

Whilst I had the grinder out I decided to hit the rear axle, what a mess that made.

I was going to give it a coat of hammerite but I just happen to have some epoxy mastic which I have been waiting to try out. Gave the axle a coat of the rust converter and will get the epoxy on maybe tomorrow if I get a chance.

I did have a bit of bother with the rear caliper carrier, the bolts have decided to return to their natural state making removal a bit difficult. I have a plan but will need new bolts, has anyone bought some recently or know a supplier?

I have may drop the petrol tank to get at the pipes.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:53 pm

The defender jet you fitted have a tendance to break at the base particularly when cold. I had to replace the one on my defender other wise you can squirt the car behind. you might be lucky with them sheltered belong the bonnet. Neat solution though.

Tbe little twin jets are from a Discovery 1.

I have painted the rear jet but havent got it refitted yet.

Managed to replace the cv boots on the left hand side drive shaft. much easier as the spider bearing needs to come off, both boots and be fitted from the inner side. I needs to finish cleaning up the mess left from the leak and wait for the NFP fluid arriving.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:11 pm

arthuy wrote:The defender jet you fitted have a tendance to break at the base particularly when cold. I had to replace the one on my defender other wise you can squirt the car behind. you might be lucky with them sheltered belong the bonnet. Neat solution though.
Ah so you're suggesting some sort of preheated version eh? :rofl:

In all seriousness, I don't class it as the permanent solution - It's still a little too close to the bonnet for comfort for my liking, but for now, they work.

By the way, I'm loving the lift/ramp - more pics and reviews please! Been looking at getting something similar myself.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm

I just cut the remains of the brake pipes off where they went up behind/above the fuel tank and ran the new ones along bottom edge, clipped at front and rear, saved a load of pain removing the tank, although last winter I removed the tank straps as one was goosed and made up a new one, but when in there made sure the bolt on other one was then free, in case of future needs :-)

I hop the tangle of wires in your picture is actually brake pipes and distorted by camera shot, (alongside middle box/hanging next to hoist) I only have pipes in that area, four fuel & two brake !

I'm also impressed with your 'car raising arrangement' I do have a semi pit at back of garage (under the main lifting beam for engine/car hoist) but needs a load of work to get at it as so much detritus in the way (ie two cars and lord knows what else)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 pm

The aftermarket parts for landrovers arent what they should be, I have taken brand new lamps out of the packet and the break in my hands. You dont mind paying a fair price for parts but the market is saturated with junk it is frustrating.

The picture is the brake and fuel pipes hanging down, I pulled them out of the way to clear the rust off.

The ramp was somthing I had been looking at for a long time but always dismissed them for various reasons around cost and value for money/amount of use. I have a big job to do which I need to lift a car body free of a large subframe which needs replaced. I have plenty of axle stands and jacks ( my gf used to ask why I needed 2 trolley jacks :rofl: ). Whilst i got by I do a fair bit of maintenance on my cars and you do get fed up lying on your back. With the big job and a bit of a treat I thought why not. I have had it a year now and it is on its way to paying for itself.

This lift was supplied by BH repairs and they were quite good to deal with there are others but on price this was good. The lift weighs over 400kg, will lift 2700kg to 150cm or more depending on the pads.

One side you have a bit better under side access, so worth considering which way round you place the car. I can go side on too if you like.

It really makes some jobs a lot more pleasant like brakes getting them at a good height, I couldnt get the height on axle stands. It is also a bit more stable. I find when a car is on axle stands it doesnt take much make one corner lift up when you dont want it to.

This photo shows it better, it isnt at maximum height. When it is lowered it stands about as high as as can of coke so I park the car on top of it. It is a bit restrictive but a good compromise. You can get scissor lifts which bolt down or sink in to the floor but you would need to be sure they were where you needed them. I have a few cars so need flexibility and it is nice to have the option to pull it outside.

Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:35 pm

I forgot to add, the lift is operated via hydraulics which runs off of 240v ac pump.

Goes up in seconds.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks for info, worth investigating, the SS1 is pretty low clearance so 5" for that lift is 'just' about enough clearance, SS1 meant to have 6" under the sills, but springs and age mean nearer 5 1/2" :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm

I have some 4ft planks that I use as a run on. Just cut the end at a suitable angle and use a couple to drive over which keeps the car clear of the lift.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Rear brake caliper carriers finally removed. These are the worst I have come across and none of my usual tricks worked.

Resorted to the grinder, I put a flap disc on it and took the heads off, it is less aggressive than the grinder. Once the heads were of I was able to knock the carrier out.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:10 pm

To make it easier I ground the other side of the bolt off. Popped it in the vice and gave it a sharp twist.

So the carriers are saved, buffed down and painted. Just need to source new bolts. I have checked the threads and they dont appear to be 'special' as I had read.
Last edited by arthuy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.