Back for a third helping of 480.

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Back for a third helping of 480.

Post by edie_fox » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:05 am

Hey up!

I've not been on here for about 8 years!...or, judging by my oh-so-cool username, which I cannot change :cry: ....about 20 years!

I got my first 480 in 2005 (Paris blue 1.7 ES) after seeing them when they first came out and needing one..aged 8. I got my second one, much higher milage (Red 2l ES) in 2008 and subsequently had to buy a 'sensible' car (V40) when I had to travel a million miles a week.

So, I've obviously hankered after another ever since. My love for the little beast never died, I even had an intricate tattoo of the blueprint etched onto my calf a few years ago. Yesterday my beloved (and probably the best boyfriend in the world ;) ) Drove me 200 miles to collect the new 1.7 ES he'd just bought me! (I'll register it on here later).

I was quite poorly and the excitement I wanted to project just wasn't going to happen but, as soon as I got driving, it felt brilliant to be back :D .

I'm sure some of you may have viewed her on eBay. Just an old PX to clear. FVSH, one owner, 90k and it appears she has wanted for nothing mechanically. Unfortunately, the lady wasn't so scrupulous with the body work. Usual arch issues that I am going to see if I can remedy either soon or next spring. Other than that, cosmetic cheap bits like a new light (cracked main beam), new rear headrests (non-existent and don't want to break my boys neck), possibly fix heated seats and a replacement load cover. EVERYTHING else works as it should! Drive is eassssy and there is no creaking plastic! Excellent gears. Tight and ordered. Still lots of kick when you need it. I do not get any feel of 1990 from it whatsoever. I'm quite amazed!

So, happy to be back, know next to zero about mechanics and doing the more difficult jobs myself so, hope to see some of you at a meeting some time with my, no doubt, long list and beggy face! :P

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: Back for a third helping of 480.

Post by Martin Mc » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:37 pm

COngratulations on biting the bullet once again - it is a heroic thing we are doing, keeping these beasties on the road! I've just acquired my fifth, which will need some work before getting back on the road. But I'd much rather be driving a quirky piece of motoring history than a bog standard boring box on wheels!

See you on here on a regular basis ;)

Cheers!
Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 pm

The 480's before chassis no. 567600 a.k.a. phase 1 don't have headrests on the rear seats (the reason why my wife insisted on a phase 2, for the safety of our little ones). You could try and get rear seats from a scrap 480, or even go all the way and grab leather seats from a Celebration. There's enough on the scrapyards.
Anyway, once you have the rust sorted, there's years of fun ahead. I would recommend though to get new parts for the front and rear suspension while they're still available. Once you have replaced all the springs, shocks and rubber bits (especially those around the rear axle), the cornering is superb and safe.

Cheers!

Robert.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Changing the rear seat backrests is surprisingly simple btw!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks! On closer inspection....(in daylight for the first time :wink:) I realised the seats didn't originally come with headrests for this year/model! :nuts: So, at least that brings my jobs down! I might consider exchanging the seats as you say but....I do prefer to keep things as original as possible :) The boy can sit up front....or I'll take the mutha waggon! :cry: