Annoying issue finally solved

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Annoying issue finally solved

Post by Ade » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Finally bit the bullet and decided to undertake some major front end surgery on the turbo. Clutch has been dying for a good while, haven't been able to hit the boost properly without slippage for ages.
Ever since I've had the car (some four years and 50,000 odd miles) the clutch has always juddered when engaging from a standstill (almost unbearable when manoeuvring sometimes)

I had long suspected a flywheel issue and it turns out that this suspicion was correct. The flywheel looked like it had been really hot at some point and when I got it on a mandril on a lathe, the tool only took a cut on about 45 degrees worth of the surface on the first couple of cuts! The surface must have been running out by quite a lot, surprised the car hasn't completely shaken itself to bits!
Anyway, the upshot of all this is that now the flywheel is skimmed true (very accurately, I always prefer the 'turn a mandril and don't take it out the chuck till your finished' approach) and the car has a new LUK clutch set, it's never felt better! Well chuffed :)

Finally, worth a mention is the fact that if you are considering a clutch change yourself, engine and box out together is a lot easier than you might think. I've removed and refitted many different engines and gearboxes in various cars over the years and actually the 480 was a piece of cake, whereas looking at taking the box off alone (based on lots of previous clutch experience) would have been a nightmare.

Having the engine out allows a good inspection of everything too and you can clean everything properly, do lots of other engine related jobs really easily etc etc.

I took the opportunity to remove the sump and clean and reseal it, good few cans of brake cleaner sprayed around up inside the bottom end to clean the deposits that inevitably build up. Cleaned the oil pump too and noticing better oil pressure (not that it was ever worrying me anyway but pressure is definitely up a little overall).

New flywheel end crank seal as well, daft not too really. Cambelt is fairly recent anyway so I glossed over this.
Quick inspection satisfied me, print still visible on belt, no cracks and tension good. Happy days.

Turbo surprised me too, no play whatsoever in the shaft and considering the mileage of 112,000 I thought this was remarkable. Just shows though that regular oil changes and letting the turbo run down really does pay off! I drive the car hard but always take precautions with running down and 5000 mile oil changes and now I have seen with my own eyes that it really does pay dividends.

Overall I was surprised how good everything was really, I've seen newer cars with less mileage that are in far worse condition as regards engine/drivetrain. Despite the electrics and the rust there is some true volvo quality in there somewhere!
O.C. 480 D.