Coolant leak !!!!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Coolant leak !!!!

Post by marsdinho » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi,

Didn't know if I should post a new thread or add this on to my other thread, so apologies if this is wrong.

I have a bit of an issue, it seems that I have a coolant leak somewhere....but I cant find where.

It started this week, when driving to work I noticed that my heaters had stopped working; when I got to work, I checked the coolant level and found that the tank was completely empty, I then noticed that the jubilee clip around the bottom hose of the radiator was very corroded and it fell apart in my hand upon inspection. Liquid was leaking out, so assumed it was this that was faulty.

So, I replaced the jubilee clip, this pic was taken just before tightening the clip, as you can see, the old clip had become quite rusty.

I then started to put antifreeze / coolant back in....1 ltr vanished....then a second ltr vanished.....I assumed that maybe the tank was totally empty and needed to be filled again, but just before pouring a 3rd ltr in, I looked under the car to see dripping again !!!!!!

I don't have the ability to get in under the car, just slide in on my stomach, but I couldn't locate the source of the leak. I assumed it was the jubilee clip as I had seen that leak with my own eyes!! so set about taking it off, and putting it back on again just to make sure it was nice an tight.

Once tightened, I then put some coolant back in again, after another 1.5ltrs went in found that the tank was filling up and settled just under the "max" level. I assumed I had fixed it (was even going to boast on here!)....

However, this morning I checked the level again, and found that it has gone down a couple of mm over night. Looked under the car to see a very small wet area......I had to get to work, so started driving assuming all was ok, then the heaters only blew cold, and the Oil temp started creeping up.....it got to 90 degrees when I got to work. Haven't checked yet, but I imagine that the coolant tank is empty again.

So where the hell is is leaking from ??????

What I do know:

- The drips seem to form at a few places on the tray under the engine
- When car is idle, drips are very infrequent.
- When driving, the coolant leaks very quickly.

If anyone could shed any light on whats happening, how I can fix it, if not - how much will is cost.

Could have done without this, got to spend £200 next week getting the welding done - then the MOT the week after that. :badmood:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Coolant leak !!!!

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:01 pm

step 1 remove the plastic stone guard from under the engine DO NOT lose the locating screws under any circumstances.
step 2 the dangerous bit --- Steal the wife's /gf or significant others compact mirror or buy one in the chemists they are cheap. Step3 dry all pipes and jionts with paper towelling / bog roll
step3 Refill coolant tank and start the engine up and get someone to step on the gas while you lie underneath and watch for the first appearance of drips . If there is no one use a brick !

Oh and just check under the passenger side carpet for any heater matrix leak (I dont think it is that)

report back on here the results of your efforts so we can take it to the next stage.

PS make sure car is in neutral + handbrake is on + chock wheels otherwise you wont be posting anytime soon :lol:

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Post by marsdinho » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Cheers for the response glasgowjim......any ideas as to how I get the thing home (6 miles) as its at work at the moment and if its still there at 7pm, its locked in for the weekend.

Is it a case of getting loads of cheep coolant and keep topping up on the way home, or could I just use water to get it home ????

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Post by marsdinho » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Got home by filling with water, the weird thing is, it only dropped by about 20mm the whole journey.

I've just bought some drive on ramps, so will try the steps you suggested tomorrow as daylight is running out.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:35 pm

As a matter of interest the 480 is a clever little car it wont let loss of coolant damage it . I know from exerience when the car suffered a major loss of coolant. When the water temperature sensor to the info centre shows approx 135 degrees it then changes to "water" and the engine is turned off.

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Probably the same hose with the corroded jubilee clip has a split in it

If so, try chopping (a small amount) off the hose to get rid of the damaged bit, and push it further onto the radiator connection & use a new clip to secure
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Post by marsdinho » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:05 am

Hi,

Spent most of Saturday morning doing the steps that glasgowjim suggested. Seems as though the leak is coming from the opposite end of the hose that I had already repaired, weird that both ends should go at the same time!

Anyway, I have now replaced the jubilee clip on the other end and, touch wood, all seems to be ok now.

I wont tell you how long it took me to drive up onto my ramps... :eek:

Thanks for the help.

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by gingherheed » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:01 am

I didn't know that the car will turn the engine off if the water temp reaches 135 degrees. My Turbo was cutting out and not restarting once it got hot. No coolant leak but could it be the temp sensor playing up?? Any answer welcome!!

Cheers all.

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Post by marsdinho » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi, I have a new issue now with the coolant. To be honest, I think its the same issue I've had along, just thought my earlier attempts had fixed it....but I was wrong.

Initially thought it was jubilee clips that needed replacing, sadly not the case.

Coolant is leaking out still, so I have been covering my short journeys by topping it up before hand. I haven't been using the car much recently, but this is obviously getting a bit annoying. I got it back up on my ramps and have had another look, this time I have found a hole where the coolant seems to be coming from. I have included a photo which was taken laying on my back looking up , it looks to me as if something at some point would have bunged that hole, but I now seem to be missing it !!!

As ever, would appreciate any help on identifying what the hell has happened there, and how I go about fixing it!

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Think that is the weep hole on your water pump.

The hole is supposed to be there, pretty much all automotive water pumps have one, and a leak from it indicates a knackered pump bearing.

Time for a new water pump I'm afraid :(
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

marsdinho
480 Newbie

Post by marsdinho » Tue May 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Had a look around the internet and rang a few places today.

Can get a pump for £20 - £30, but what makes it costly is the labour and the fact that it seems sensible to change the timing belt at the same time, seeing as that is on its way out as well. The timing belt wasn't bad enough to fail its MOT in March, but its slowly getting worse and will need replacing in the next few months at best.

Been quoted as little as £140 to fit, if I get the timing belt kit and water motor myself.....right through to £350 to source the bits and fit them :eek:

Hmmmm...

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue May 26, 2015 8:07 pm

to change a water pump is not a difficult job the plastic protection screen comes off and you have access. Oh you will want a gasket as well :D

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Gasket?

Thought you boys still used a corn flake box north of the border! ;)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!