Sell or Save?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

al808
480 Newbie

Sell or Save?

Post by al808 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Listers,
I'm new to the forum - let me introduce my car and dilemma.

I bought a 480es last year, having admired them since first produced. It was just to be a run-around as I have another classic car.
I paid £500 after negotiation, the car has no history to speak of, and i had read many stories about ownership before acquiring my car (mostly negative) but i gave it a punt anyway - my heart got in the way!

I have a 91 smoke silver ES 125k miles

Spent a further £500 on MOT (tie rod ends, small welding, and other bits) and now it has a year motoring ahead.

Have a few issues still, usual with the info centre - actually think its just the bulb which i have bought just not fitted.
Needs an exhaust soonish
Wheel arches and doors have rust.

It drives well and handles great - a real pleasure to drive.

Thing is i do not really need the car - and i'm wondering what to do with it.
Last week a vandal smashed the passenger window (really bummed out by this). I phoned up my insurer and in turn the glass company to replace the glass. Unfortunately I found that it's obsolete!!
Now I need to source a new window, but at the time i figured i should replace the passenger door - as its very rusty under the trim and along the bottom edge.
I have been searching for my colour for a long time and not found one. (though i have a scrapyard holding a different colour door for me with glass).
So I'm now in a position where I'm not sure if my car makes a suitable donor for an enthusiast, or whether someone slightly more dedicated than me might want to offer me something for it, take care of the cosmetic exterior. Interior is generally good.

Obviously it needs further tlc, but I'm not sure I can give it the time and effort it deserves - I don't have a garage, so it's tricky for me to do the work myself. I'd like to think that the time, effort and care I've put already isn't wasted in actually grows into something slightly more beautiful.

So question is - do i sell it, what's it worth? (bearing in mind I've spent £1200 in a year). I'm a sucker for falling in love with sentiment and ownership, and as such would really like to see it go to an enthusiast if possible. Ideally someone who can give it a respray and some attention. Any listers potentially interested?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice!
I also have a spare set of rear shocks and water pump (either with sale or happy to list these items for anyone who needs)

Thanks for listening
Al

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Sell or Save?

Post by Ulrika480 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:19 pm

A really personal decision to be honest. People will be split between cut your losses and scrap, keep forever and keep spending money on it, and getting the door fixed and car tarted up to sell at the minimum loss you can.

I've had one for 4 years and spent * a lot * (and I mean a lot) of money on it and it was in pretty good condition when I bought it. Let's be honest here - 480's just aren't in demand and the market for them has never taken off, despite us all picking them for being a bit different.

I reckon that they'll only pick up in value when they are 30 years old so it comes down to how much you like them. :cryhard:

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Keep it.

Christ, I don't need any of mine!! ;)

Love 'em all to bits though, that's the trouble... Too much character :(
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:06 pm

If you are anywhere near glasgow then the window problem is solved as I have spares of every 480 window except the windscreen. Plus I aint expensive :lol:

I even will fit it for you .

if it is the door window then thats easy to replace

there is a couple of how to's its not hard at all.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 pm

If you are near glasgow then bring it over here to 480 central and I will check the car out for you as regards rust , fix window and give you an honest opinion as to price.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Jim, you are a 480 legend!

Further extending 480 hospitality, if you are anywhere near Cambridge, the same offer applies. We'll be able to get a window from Lakes Volvo in Bedford.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks looking forward to the day we meet unfortunately I usually only venture south of the Wall to thieve a 480 and carry it off to Scotland :D

Was down in Peterborugh but the long drive north is tiring especially when you arrive at about 10 pm and have to zoom off home in your captured treasure ;)

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Alas, our 480 are still not safe from the thieving Scot.

I reckon he voted no, just so he could still pillage our treasures!!

:crazy:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

al808
480 Newbie

Post by al808 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks all for the votes of confidence, and thanks for the offers of hospitality!

I'm still in 2 minds, though i've just spotted a black 480 for sale, less milage and less rust, hey it even has all the glass in it, maybe the trip computer works?

I guess another question is - maybe the more pertinent question. Does anyone want to buy my silver car?

Jim - unfortunately I couldn't be further away than Glasgow, would love to pop in, but its a 10hour drive.

Have 9Months MOT and Tax, car runs fine, just is a bit rusty. 136k miles

Regarding the glass - thing is the door is the worst affected rust part - so i've got a red door on hold at a scrapyard, it seems futile putting in new glass where really i need a less rusty door.
Next question. how easy is a door respray (any tips?) Will 2 cans of correct option code spray paint be enough? (shoot me down if i need to repost this as a new topic)

Cheers
Al

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

2 cans should do it + 1 of laquer .

Respray is relatively easy to do but best to remove door and its a lot easier to remove and refit a door if you have a big strong friend to help . failing that use a jack with a soft covering to hold the door up to its approx position for fitting.

al808
480 Newbie

Post by al808 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks again Jim.
What lacquer do I need. Your guidance and advice much appreciated