was power steering standard ...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

VolAlex
480 Newbie

was power steering standard ...

Post by VolAlex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 pm

on the 480ES form 1994 ? And were they light like a Jag or heavier like a mercedes .
I bet I am the only member of this club that has never driven a 480 because I live abroad & because its my mothers car . She finds the steering heavy at low speeds , but she had a Nissan Micra , and then a Civic before . Maybe it needs fluid or lubrication. I don't know, it's like driving a ghost from on the other side of the Ocean, for me . A friendly ghost I hope . Today we had a flat rear tire .

Thanks
Alex

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: was power steering standard ...

Post by AcidicDavey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm

All 480s had power steering I believe.

It's not the lightest system in the world be easy enough, it would probably be heavier than a Micra in any circumstances!
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 am

P/S has always been standard on the 480. If it would not be working your mom probably wouldn't be able to drive it. It's steering is lighter as that of the VW Golf IV. I don't think it's heavy at low speeds. Anyway always steer with a rolling car, steering a standing car is bad for the steering system. The force applied to the wheels by the powered steering is much bigger then you'd think.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 am

Van wrote: Anyway always steer with a rolling car, steering a standing car is bad for the steering system. The force applied to the wheels by the powered steering is much bigger then you'd think.
Absolutely right, Van; "dry steering" will damage steering components.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20