Please give me some Encouragement!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Please give me some Encouragement!

Post by lincoln480 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi all,
After selling my 1981 Porsche 924 last week i decided to buy a 480.I've always liked the look of them & have owned 340,440 & 240 Volvos before.
On Thursday i put a £200 deposit down on a 1993 ES on a forecourt here in Lincoln.It was advertised for £1000 but i got it for £900.It's a 2 owner & 66k Car.Not mint but looks good.
Now..i've been so excited about getting it(Monday)& over the weekend i've joined the Volvo Owners Club Forum & of course this one.Thought i'd have a good read up on the car i was sooo looking forward to getting.
Having spent the last 2 days reading about dodgy electrics...pop up lights & water logged boots I'm seriously wondering if i have made a huge mistake :shock:
PLEASE PLEASE....give me some words of encouragement before i hand over the rest of the cash tomorrow.The things i've read have really started to make me think i should pull out :(
Simon.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: Please give me some Encouragement!

Post by Van » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:10 pm

You did check the car, didn't you? Had a drive, looked at the dash, opened the windows, had the lights on? But even then, you will get your fair share of issues. But I know the 924 wasn't flawless either. Even when it was designed to be a Vokswagen, I think it was a true Porsche, more so then the Macan and likes.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Van,
To be honest,no i didn't drive it.The dealer was however going to take it for an MOT for me.This it passed yesterday.
I started it up & it sounded fine.The only problem i know of is the Sunroof doesn't work.
There is a huge amount of history with the car & low mileage.
I honestly thought it would be a 'practical' Classic.

All my volvo's were so reliable,never had a problem with any of them. :(

As for the 924...a seriously underrated Car :)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 pm

The sunroof could turn out to be a very easy fix (+cheap). :D

If opens but wont close its deffo an easy fix. :?

Volvo called it a moonroof. :lol:

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Jim,
yes the dealer was honest with me & said he'd opened it,only to struggle to get it closed again so he disconnected it.
I took a walk up there this afternoon & had another look round it...i'm still in love & i'm going to go for it.
Have just been really surprised about the amount of problems they have.If i had read all that before viewing i think i might not of bothered.

Lee77
Started learning about 480

Post by Lee77 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Go for it!.. The fun of owning one outweighs the odd thing that goes wrong. You must remember, people generally only post on forums when they've got a problem to fix, so you're basically just seeing the bad points. Besides, when you buy an old car, you expect the occasional problem.. And if you're like me, enjoy tinkering about under the hood etc looking to fix it.. Brings you closer to the car..makes driving it more fun when it's all working well. I sold a modern car to buy my 480.. I haven't regretted it yet :D

yorkshire480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by yorkshire480 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Nobody here will lie to you and tell you that 480's are without their foibles. What they'll probably all tell you however is that they are incredibly enjoyable cars to own and drive and you will probably never have more fun with your clothes on.

I relish long drives and late night runs home after a gig (I'm a musician by trade) and that and the compliments my little green wedge receives are more than enough compensation for the odd 10 mins I have to spend with my hands jammed in the dashboard.

The good news is for the most part those problems that 480's have are easily fixed by most people. Parts are cheap and they're easy cars to work on.
For me it's cheap to run, practical and I'm learning all the time thanks to the good people here.

Just do it and then come back on here and post some pictures!

Having said all that I'd love a 924!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Here are two quick steps to reassure yourself in times of dilemma:

1. look here http://www.volvo-480.org/galerie.htm

2. wait for semi-darkness, park up somewhere leaving engine running, switch on the pop-ups and have a walk all the way around your car

Feel better? :D

Comparing it to your previous object of affection you can see what king of styling you like (long bonnet, sloping glass rear end, etc). 3 bags of sand is on the high side but as Lee says above the enjoyment you get out of it will outweigh the cost of running it

About reliability....errr.....I wouldn''t call any of mine reliable, at least relative to boring new Japanese stuff that you can buy on hire purchase, but the 480s have never actually failed to move on demand! It more just minor niggles that can add up and drive you mad :bla:
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Lee,Yorkshire & Jamesy,
thanks for all your words of encouragement.Your posts have been a great help to this doubting Thomas.
I shall report back tomorrow with my new purchase...............and list of problems :wink:
Seriously a BIG thank you :hopping:

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Simon
Congratulations on your purchase :)

ReadingYour post reminds me of my self when I bought a 480 some 8 or 9 month ago. Can't realy comment on the difference in driving experience 924 Vs 480 but I can say that You will enjoy the 480 :) with all it's minor issues.
Eventualy You will learn to live with it, I hope. The forum here is really good for advise and help, the other members are the best.

Good luck with the car

Chris

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm

ChrisDK wrote:Hi SimonCan't realy comment on the difference in driving experience 924 Vs 480 but I can say that You will enjoy the 480 :) with all it's minor issues.
And thats the point, the vast majority of things you read about are minor. Mine has never failed to start, nor failed to get me anywhere I wanted to go (touch wood).
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for that Chris & Captain Slow :)
I've just picked her up & driven her home.First impressions are good.Feels nimble & well put together,as you'd expect from Volvo.
Clutch is a bit notchy at low speeds(getting in gear)but that might just be me getting used to it.
Will need a radio code & just looking through the paper work i see it had a new windscreen.There was a comment from the fitters about rusty apertures which is a bit worrying.Nothing is noticeable from above.
The wheel arches have had some filler but there is a receipt for this work carried out at a garage & it looks 'okay'.
Havent worked out the information centre yet..will have a good read through t he owners handbook.
Just got to get used to FWD & power steering! lol.
Needs a good wash & then i will upload some pics :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:15 pm

If the moon roof opened up but wouldnt close then it is a cheap fix , you need 1 or 2 plastic connector "Pins" one for each side replacement is easy although counter intuitive :lol:

Allow 30 to 40 mins to do the complete job including reassembly as its your first time .

So thats one job less to worry about! :rofl:

volvo dealer will supply the radio code for free providing that you have proof of ownership eg V5

and thats another thing less to worry about . ;)

At this rate you will start breaking things deliberately just so you can fix them :D

Do you have an owners manual ?

read stuff from this link http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/volvo480/downloads.php

if you cant read german or dutch then do a goggle page translate for the laugh of a lifetime :rofl:

gee 3 solutions in 1 post I am surpassing myself this time :bla: :bla: :bla:

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm

thanks for that Jim much appreciated.I've just been giving it a good clean.Thought i'd use the waterless spray & wipe stuff lol.Keep the boot dry!
I can't put a link to pics in because i'm a newbie? But my photobucket profile is hunter1972 if anyone wants to see my new baby :)

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by AcidicDavey » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Looks good buddy, don't be put off by the bad bits of these cars, if you look after them they'll treat you well :D

Love the Hillman too!!
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

lincoln480
480 Newbie

Post by lincoln480 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

Cheers davey & thanks for sorting the pics out :)

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi there,
Hope you don't mind me adding my tuppence worth;
That 'okay' looking wheel arch with a 'bit of filler' may be a little more ominous than it seems. I have just embarked upon the task of repairing the arches on my 1990 turbo and having cut it out and removed some of the underseal I have uncovered a horror story. The boot floor was rotten, the inner wheel arch where the seat belt is anchored to and the back end of of the sill also very very very rusty. I believe that had it been tackled sooner in the cars life I would not have such a mammoth reconstruction task on my hands ( which I have started doing) :badmood:

Basically what I'm trying to say is you don't really know how much rot there is that you can't see until you have a much closer investigation. I'm not saying that yours will be anywhere near as bad as mine but don't delay on investigating and curing any rust. It will spread like cancer and before you know it you'll either have to scrap her or get welding!

And for gods sake, cut it ALL the way back to fresh, unpitted, untainted metal before welding any more in!

Hope you enjoy your 480 as much as I have. I got around 30000 miles of relatively trouble free motoring before the MOT ran out and all she needs is de rusting, all the running gear is solid and the electrics aren't that bad.

Regards

Ade
O.C. 480 D.

spree

Post by spree » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

480's are quirky and potentially quite unreliable cars fore sure but there is something awesome about them.

Mine is doing my head in right now but it only seems to make me realise how much I actually like the thing!

I think it is a car the divides opinion, makes a statement and deserves to be appreciated far more then it seems to be. Such an 80's time machine.

:wave:

alex0501
480 Newbie

Post by alex0501 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 pm

I have a spare sunroof motor if you're interested.

The 480 is such an underrated car, You'll love it! :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm

its not the motor he needs but the connector pins.