Why is this forum so dead?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ClioRSiTurbo
Started learning about 480

Why is this forum so dead?

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Same as subject... Why does there seem to be a lack of anything going on lately

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Why is this forum so dead?

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 pm

too busy answering the phone ROFL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

;)

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Lol I'll have you know I've not called in what, 2 - 3 days now ;) lol :rofl:

Fitted new black diamond pads and discs all round now, plus 2 new rear calipers as one was leaking, she brakes nicely now, just got to fully bed them in.

Got a split in my maf to turbo hose by the turbo on the elbow, been there since purchasing the car, recommendation to you or anyone, buy 'just tape' its fantastic stuff, stretchy, self curing, permanent, can deal with up to 400 psi, a lot of heat and can be used for water pipes turbo pipes etc. As Volvo don't sell the hose anymore, but it is an option I'm quite pleased with this tape...

New clutch will arrive later on today (Friday) :hopping:

Get that fitted over the weekend, and next on the shopping list is new tyres :D Yokohama advent sports 205 55 16's for £303 delivered to me, very grippy quality tyres, so hopefully that will take away some of the torque steer, going from a 45 profile to a 55... Then to buy yellow Koni's and lower her by 30mm she should handle like dream :hopping: :hopping: :D :hopping: :D :hopping: :hopping:

Just thought I'd give you an update Jim as we haven't spoken in so long ;)

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:39 am

ClioRSiTurbo wrote:Same as subject... Why does there seem to be a lack of anything going on lately
Wierd alright. When I first joined here (2008) it was a lively place.

But with 480's becoming rarer I suppose it's only natural that owners will too! In the current climate its becoming harder and harder for people to justify owning what some (not me) would term as 'novelty' cars :(

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 am

David wrote:
ClioRSiTurbo wrote:Same as subject... Why does there seem to be a lack of anything going on lately
Wierd alright. When I first joined here (2008) it was a lively place.

But with 480's becoming rarer I suppose it's only natural that owners will too! In the current climate its becoming harder and harder for people to justify owning what some (not me) would term as 'novelty' cars :(
As above. Plus as the database of forum threads where problems have been fixed increases, so does the likelyhood of finding answers to questions/problems without having to construct a post.
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Novelty car . :rofl:

Its my daily driver ,
my son and my daughter's daily driver as well.

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Ulrika480 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Could money be an issue as well for lack of traffic ?

I am just relieved mine got through the MOT ok with no expense. Have a few things I'd like to have done but can't afford them at the moment.

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm

If the forum wasn't invaded from time to time by people pinching our engines for use in other makes it'd be even quieter.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm

This forum is not dead.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

ClioRSiTurbo

Post by ClioRSiTurbo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:12 am

chriskay wrote:If the forum wasn't invaded from time to time by people pinching our engines for use in other makes it'd be even quieter.
If that's referring to me, I'm not putting the engine in my Clio now, after driving the car it's lovely and I've decided I'm keeping it...

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 am

ClioRSiTurbo wrote:
chriskay wrote:If the forum wasn't invaded from time to time by people pinching our engines for use in other makes it'd be even quieter.
If that's referring to me, I'm not putting the engine in my Clio now, after driving the car it's lovely and I've decided I'm keeping it...
No, not specifically aimed at you, just that a lot of these engines seem to end up in other cars and their owners often come here for advice.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:57 pm

glasgowjim wrote:Novelty car . :rofl:

Its my daily driver ,
my son and my daughter's daily driver as well.

Maby to you Jim but over here in Eire anybody driving anything other than the usual Eurotrash is looked upon as some kind of freak. It's very unusual to see a car here older than 10 years, such is the numberplate snobbery.

I have to say in one year owning a 480 I spent more on repairs and maintenance than in two years driving a 20 year old MR2. That doesn't mean I don't still love them its just a fact, they are neither cheap to own nor worthy of 'classic' status in most peoples eyes. As such people are buying/driving them less...I would imagine.

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 am

Summing up:
1- People who had a profound knowledge of the car and contributed in discussions and advises in the early days have published everything already. They faded away, seeing no use in reacting on ever repeating questions and/or participating in social talk.
2- The Dutch have their own forum now, very much alive. There is a lot of Dutch owners.
3- Apart from participants cars fade away.
4- The social aspect of fora have been taken over by different social media on the web.
5- Because of the lacking "community feeling" and the international character initiatives will be dead born.
But let us not be too pessimistic: As long as the database and the search function are in good order this forum is an unique finding place for anything one wants to know about the 480.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm

The forum is not dead but there are periods of activity and quiet days depending on the demands of living beyond the 480 if such a thing can be imagined :roll: .

I get to meet a number of forum members up here in Scotland, and on the forum but I am up in Scotland , if I was located in the Midlands I would meet a lot more 480 owners I am sure. As it is I have a lot of pm's from forum members that is unseen as indeed we will all have so the forum is still alive and kicking. :crazy:

I log on at least once a day , often more than that but at the moment I am pulling long hours during the week at work and the wife demands I spend time with the family or I can sleep with the 480 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nuff said ;)