Future 480 Purchase

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Future 480 Purchase

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:41 pm

Hey People...

As my user name suggests, i drive a 440. Its a facelift '94 model, and it's a 2.0i-it goes well. She is mod'd, and she's a good little car bless her. But, now i've stumbled across this forum, i want a 480-there seem to be alot more modifaction inclined owners here than there are 440's. My Dad has a Paris Blue 480 Turbo, 91 J, just over 60k on the clock and it is mint-the engine bay is still blinkin shiny! That's spurred me on a little more....:)

I took it out the other day, and did'nt actually think that is was much quicker...what would the actual Bhp be on a Turbo? I also noticed it was very quiet-are they generally like this or is this because it's in good nic? What's the best engine-i had a 1.7i 440 (equivalent to the ES), i do like my 2.0i 'cos it does go well, but i would like a Turbo. What would you reccomend? Also, i don't mind going back a few years as i would like a bit of spare cash to lower it, exhaust, clear indicators etc etc-what could i pick up for say, £1000? I'd like to think something on about a J....

Oh, and one more thing-unless i get a really good offer with the stereo i have in mine, it will come with me. How good are the 480's at hosting a large install?? I know the boot isn't as big and i just want to make sure i can get two amps and 2x12" subs in!

It won't be until the summer probably, but, i want to start looking incase a bargain comes up. So, sorry to run on so much, just need to get some decent info!

Cheers Guys/Gals...

Dan M
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:45 pm

i bought a '91 h reg turbo a couple of weeks ago. full leather,air con and in mint condition for only £500. For a grand i reckon you'd get an exceptional car!!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:29 pm

Sounds like you got a bargain! That would do me a treat!

Anybody else?
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:11 pm

your 440 looks pretty cool. my mum has an old shape turbo 440, it goes like shit off a shovel!!
as for engines i dont know if there is much to choose from power wise between the 2.0 and 1.7i. the 2.0 is smoother but the 1.7 is more keen to rev. its personal choice really. i have a 1.7i and a 1.7 turbo and the turbo is definately the daddy!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:23 pm

Cheers for that Murf...i'm surprised that only you have replied, thought i might have gotten a few more than that-a marvellous opportunity for people to promote the 480!...Oh well, i am a 440 driver, a bit of a rival perhaps??! ;)

Cheers for the advice. After one reply on the VOC forum, i may have to keep the 440 if i can't get enough for her-there's one chap who has an immaculate 460 on a '96 P, and he's been offered £400...bloody disgusting! I paid £1,700 for mine a year and a half ago, and i've spent just as much on it! I know i'll never get all that back, but something closer to the original buying price would be nice! Specially as without the stereo there's nearly a grands worth of stuff that is staying on the car, and it's under average mileage, and very well maintained! :shock:

I'd like a 480 Turbo though...they are nice cars. I know what you mean with the whole rev range thing-my 2.0i pulls well, but the old 1.7i i had was very quirky too. I think i'd def. have a Turbo...as i said, i've had a 2.0 and a 1.7, now it's time for a bit of Turbo fun!

With regards to Bhp, i think the 1.7 Turbo is around the 120 mark, and if i'm not mistaken (although i don't believe it) the 2.0i is about 108...although it seems to be alot quicker. I'm rambling now....

Cheers for that anyway...maybe we'll cross paths again!
Dan M