MOT Fail - subframe

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ace_basement
480 Newbie

MOT Fail - subframe

Post by ace_basement » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:04 am

Ah, the news no-one wants to hear.. our lovely 94 turbo has failed due to excessive corrosion on the subframe, don't have full details yet but the garage is saying beyond economic repair.

If I get hold of a second hand frame in good condition and clean it up and treat it etc, what sort of job is it to have it refitted? Obviously would need a crane so garage job as far as I'm concerned, but is it likely to be the cost of the replacement part that makes it uneconomical? Just trying to think things through for future plans. The car generally is in good shape, not perfect but better than many I've seen. Also mileage is low, something like 85k. It would be shame to get rid of it, though if we did we'd definitely get another one!

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: MOT Fail - subframe

Post by gingherheed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 pm

I have PM'd you. I have a subframe if you want it. I've had a couple of enquiries about it and it's first come, first served!!