Life is just so unfair !

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Life is just so unfair !

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Damn 3 times in 3 weeks been pulled over by the police on the same road at night , twice it was random check they just assume that it is a honda and stolen so hey pull me over is this your car sir blah blah blah. Fecking annoying.

Then last night at midnight got pulled over because I have inadvertently put on my foglights . ! Its an offence you know feck me they wouldnt dazzle a bloody rabbit in road what about all those F***ING 4 wheel drive BARSTWARDS with the highlevel headlights ncant see a thing because of them . Now I have a fine and have to report to an mot station to verify that the headlamp bulb is also changed.

Damn drive at steady 30mph in Maryhill at night and you get pulled over FFS changing my route home just the other way is littered with FECK*** enormous speed bumps they are like the pyramids but with the tops chopped off.

Maybe I should be a criminal drive shitty car have a stoopidly loud sound system shout abuse at passersby through open window whilst smoking ganja and pissed as a newt bet you I wouldnt get stopped then would I .

Seriously pissed off :badmood: :kill:

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Cops always pull old bangers...usually contain uninsured drivers. Get the polish out!
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:03 pm

old bangers ??? wotcha mean ? :)
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

Murf

Post by Murf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:07 pm

That'll be why the traffic feds were eyeballing my MR2 in Maryhill the other day, the wifey driving the cop car nearly snapped her neck turning to look at me!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Old bill

Post by gingherheed » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear the five-oh on your manner are pestering you so much Jim. Maybe they are a bot jealous and want to see a 480 close up with a view to getting one!! Imagine. A Turbo on duty with blue lights and all the stripes!!

I got ANPR'd in Dorset once. They said I had no insurance. I did but it was new and hadn't shown up.

I spent half an hour telling the copper that was dealing with me aaaaall about the two litre ES. It was older than he was and he hadn't seen one before.

He let me go. No further action. :D

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by POE » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

yeah i was followed back from gym ,they follwed me all the way home which was about 5 miles,stopped outside my house and started being cocky about me havin a light out,as i went round back of car i gave light a tap and it came on it wiped the smug look on his face then was told to take to garage and get checked out .WASTE OF SPACE AND THATS BEING NICE :angry:
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Don't get upset Jim. Polish police are also a pain in the arse. Recently the policeman comandeered my vehicle registration document because the number plate was dirty :x
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm

funnily enough in glasgow we call them polis as well !

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 pm

The problem is, the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't. People complain about the number of uninsured drivers on the road, as JT pointed out they won't be driving Merc 4x4s or Jags unless they’ve stolen them. they will buy a car for £100 which is an MOT failure but has 4 months tax and just drive it around without bothering about insurance. Thats why older cars are far more likely to be pulled. If the offence is something stupid like a number plate which is slightly dirty the cop is probably behind on his targets, you can thank the government for that.

2001 V70

Yossarian
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Yossarian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 pm

I'd agree with the first part of the above post, and go on to say that they'd pull you over for a busted number plate light or driving with fogs on because they're more likely to get an uninsured berk behind the wheel.

Watch things like Road Wars and you'll see what I mean. A routine stop by the traffic cops on that show often ends up with the driver being booked for no insurance or no tax or something majorly dodgy wrong on the car.

Generally, I can see how it'd be irritating to get pulled over for random checks, but to be honest, if you aren't guilty of anything then it doesn't matter really does it?

I've been pulled over three times. One was a random stop. One was because my tax disc was not firmly attached to the windscreen and the copper thought I was untaxed. The third time I was apparently "driving suspiciously", driving down random roads, and they even bought my slightly dodgy "I'm just killing time until college starts" (truthful) excuse without raising an eyebrow.
POE wrote:yeah i was followed back from gym ,they follwed me all the way home which was about 5 miles,stopped outside my house and started being cocky about me havin a light out,as i went round back of car i gave light a tap and it came on it wiped the smug look on his face then was told to take to garage and get checked out .WASTE OF SPACE AND THATS BEING NICE
I'd be on the copper's side here mate. Having a light that randomly flickers on/off depending on what bumps you hit isn't exactly a good setup.
[b]2.0ES.[/b] - [b][url=http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17327]Sold[/url][/b].

Hopefully for 2009 - 1.7 Turbo.

esta
480 Is my middle name

Re: Life is just so unfair !

Post by esta » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:38 pm

glasgowjim wrote: what about all those F***ING 4 wheel drive BARSTWARDS with the highlevel headlights ncant see a thing because of them .
And dont forget white van drivers-they are the worst cos not only do they have nigh level dazzling lights, but they also tail gate everywhere!
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

/

Post by ted clutch » Tue May 05, 2009 6:16 pm

they gave me a pink slip to take to the police and sent checked at a garage.only a blown bulb,why need a garage.it would have also cost me £5 into the deal.might be worth a try -i didnt go to the garage and didnt take the paperwork to the police either.never heard anymore.saved myself £5.i did change the bulb though just in case they came round and could dissapoint them.

Murf

Post by Murf » Tue May 05, 2009 7:08 pm

And dont forget white van drivers-they are the worst
Watch it, woman! :angry:
At least we can parallel park and reverse into spaces :wink:
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Murf wrote:
And dont forget white van drivers-they are the worst
Watch it, woman! :angry:
At least we can parallel park and reverse into spaces :wink:
:rofl:
FYI I NEVER drive into spaces, ONLY reverse-never know when you may need a quick getaway

As for parallel parking, no idea, cant remember the last time I needed to parallel park :lol:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm

White van drivers parallel parking get real they just stop in the road , pull in aye in your dreams. A bloody BIG white lorry reversed parked on top of me one time , just cos there were 2 white cars parked and one drove off he thought the spaces where empty . Guess he couldnt count to two without taking off his girlfriends jumper. Best of it was I was sleeping in the drivers seat wife had only popped out for a minute to do some shopping!!!!! :badmood: woke up as he revesred into me al l all I saw was a big tailgate looming on the horizon ;)

Darkstar32
Started learning about 480

Post by Darkstar32 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 pm

I was pulled over last year because I looked at the cops as they drove past me. They did a 360 turn and pulled me over. Found out it looked suspicious to them. "sorry for looking" :D

Greg-Mitchell
480 Newbie

Post by Greg-Mitchell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:10 am

I've had a few random checks, They always seem to get my numberplate wrong when they check and say its from somewhere completely different. very tedious...

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Well folks the latest news is that last night some bastard and I use the word with venom took a knife to every single tyre on my daughters car (480) which was parked outside the house . it was a big blade on the knife you should see the size of the slit in thetyres . Damn these tyres were hardly used and the excess is bigger than the replacement cost.
But that wasnt enough for the bastard he also stabbed the best tyre on my car as well , but I didnt notice till I took a corner at 50mph and found out the hard way that the same bastard had tampered with my car to. :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: bastards :angry:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 pm

they just took a phone report and that was that :(

Joolz

Post by Joolz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Blimey Jim......how can that happen in such a nice neighbourhood?

Was it that mad lady who complained? :?
Volvo 480 Celebration 466 Dark Grey Metallic (PUS)
previously
Volvo 480 2 ltr Paris Blue
Volvo 480 2 ltr Peacock Green
Volvo 480 1.7 White
Volvo 760 GLE Saloon 2.8 V6 Blue