Cleaning products advise please

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Cleaning products advise please

Post by Rachel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 am

Hello!
I'm on a mission today, and cleaning up all the interior that has come out of the 480. What is the best product for the plastic? I have done all the leather with the Auto Glym stuff...looks good and smells goood!

I'm hoping for some advise from the Master here....Dan! ;)

Cheers

:D
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:59 pm

:lol:

Got my computer back today so trawling through the forum posts! Glad to see your 480 repair is on track, looks like the damage is all superficial...and good to see you have a helping hand from somebody who has taken 480's apart alot!

Anyway-cleaning. I get a squirty bottle and fill it with fairy liquid (small amount) and warm water. I then proceed to squirt and wipe with a cotton rag. Then I get another to dry, and then believe it or not, I actually use dash-wipes. But what I do is when the wipe is fresh, do all round the hand brake and lower part of the centre console first-purely because when first used, the wipes can make things a little too shiney, so I wear it out a little on the areas you don't see when driving. Then I fold the wipe in half, and rub it over the top of the dash. When thats all done, I get the drying off cotton rag and buff everything off.

And I used to go through the whole car-the plastic trims by the sill come up very well. However, a tiny bit of Auto Glym leather cleaner is good on the vinyl covering on the dash too, but can make it look a little patchy!

The wipes I used have a Viking on the front....they may be Armoral, but I haven't cleaned a car Dan style for a very long time....Shaneeka tends not to keep hers clean very long, so I don't bother! Oh the shame... :oops: The main thing is consistency-the more you clean it, the easier it becomes regularly. I could get a soapy wash and wax down to about an hour and a half, and you'll find the interior the same. Whilst your interior is out, I'd also recommend getting an industrial carpet hoover cleaner thingy and doing your seats. I done this when I popped the Jaquard in and you should have seen the colour of the water when i was done... Think that may be where the OCD came from :lol:

But yes, soapy water, cotton rags and Armoral dash-wipes! And a healthy dose of Vanilla Magic tree's, such a pleasent smell! And when they're dead, I built up a little forest of the buggers in the rear storage bins, and when the bag is fully removed, I tear it open and rub it over the headlining.

Yes. I do know I'm weird.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Dan!
Thanks for your reply :D
I do plan on getting one of those carpet cleaners to do the carpet and seats at some point. The difference from under the seats and the foot well is unbelievable :shock:
No sure I will be doing the Magic Tree thing though
:lol: ;)

Take care mate :D
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold