Question for our Scandinavian friends

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Van
480 Connoisseur

Question for our Scandinavian friends

Post by Van » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 pm

When driving in Denmark, Sweden, Finland where lights are obligatory during day time, are the 480's day lights sufficient or does one need to pop up the head lights?
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 pm

look up the AA website

akroto
480 Newbie

Post by akroto » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 am

I use the day lights and I haven't been stopped by the police.
Been to Sweden too and wasn't stopped there either. So I guess they are sufficient.
Anders K.
Norway
Proud owner of a -87 480 ES

aibast
480 Connoisseur

Post by aibast » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I haven't also been stoped because of that. The norm by the police is that if you are enough visable to others, then they don't care. I drive around all day long with my DRL's. I have used pup-ups, and been pulled over, for driving with my "fog" lights on. But they understud that they are DRL's and not fogs.
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm

I drive with the DRL's but have been pulled over here in Finland. However the registration book states that the DRL's are legal for road use :) So they usually back off with that.

Also there is the issue with rear light clusters being darkened. It is not legal to darken them by yourself so they might cry about that too. However again the registration book says they are legal for road use :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Captain Crunch
Started learning about 480

Post by Captain Crunch » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 am

In Sweden the DRL's are sufficient until dusk starts to set in.
I always have the DRL's and the foglights on during daytime if it's not cloudy and raining/snowing.
I don't want to pop up my popups if it's not necessary and have them covered with road filth.
480's never die, they just transcend.
Jens Lumbye
Storfors, Sweden

jimmi_swe

Post by jimmi_swe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:56 pm

i do the same as Capt'n Crunch..
Volvo 480 turbo -90- Full original bodykit.
http://www.garaget.org/Qwert

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Couldn't believe it last night I was stopped by the Garda (Irish police)
Because my dipped beams are not working at the moment I was expecting to be told off for this, but no. The power-tripping policeman pulled me over (roaring and shouting as if I was a threat to national security) because I had 'too many lights' on my car!

I tried to explain that I was driving with the fog lights on to compensate for the lack of dipped-beam light but he could not fathom what I was on about. He thought the DRL's were my dipped and the pop-ups my full beams and I was using the fogs solely for the purpose of pissing off other motorists. I tried to exlplain to him the concept of DRL's (being a Swedish car they are needed by law,etc, etc.) but he was in such a state of confusion he just looked at the NCT (car test) disc, told me to turn off my fogs (meaning I couldn't see) and went away laughing to himself.

So any 480 owners who happen to be driving in 'freindly' Ireland beware!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks my friends.
DaKyy what exactly do you mean with the register?
When I drive in Finland with my daytime driving lights and unfortunately the police stops me, what do I tell them?
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:11 am

Van wrote:Thanks my friends.
DaKyy what exactly do you mean with the register?
When I drive in Finland with my daytime driving lights and unfortunately the police stops me, what do I tell them?
The registration book contains quotes from the traffic law which allows the use of DRL's & dimmed rear lights on this car.

If police stops you in Finland, you tell them they are Daytime running lights, not parking lights :) Seemed to clear up when I demonstrated to the police what is the difference between them :)
David wrote: I tried to explain that I was driving with the fog lights on to compensate for the lack of dipped-beam light but he could not fathom what I was on about. He thought the DRL's were my dipped and the pop-ups my full beams and I was using the fogs solely for the purpose of pissing off other motorists.
It is actually illegal here to drive with your fogs on - if there is no fog or lack of visibility. You could get a ticket. And normal fog isn't enough. It has to be very very foggy until you can use them.
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Iroll480 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:48 am

And normal fog isn't enough. It has to be very very foggy until you can use them.
Here in NL the sight has to be less then 50 meters, only then driving with foglights is allowed. And that is pretty damned dense, the kind of fog that you have to read the roadsigns to know where the hell you're located.

jimmi_swe

Post by jimmi_swe » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am

the same here, i have got a ticket for my foglights was on and the sight was not that bad..driving whit combination daylights fogs.
but i have also been stoped when having my positions light (5w) and and my fogs, then the police don´t know what to say so i have only been told to change.. beacuse they dont know if the car is made on running like this whitout popping the hedlights up, legaly.
Beacuse in sweden back in time it was ok to drive whit positions lights and are the car made in that period.... its ok . they cant make you fix the car beacuse the law changes. :)
Volvo 480 turbo -90- Full original bodykit.
http://www.garaget.org/Qwert