Hello - newbie from Northern Ireland seeks advice

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Hello - newbie from Northern Ireland seeks advice

Post by johnny_e » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Hello! :wink:

Been doing a lot of searching and reading - but need to pick a few brains if you dont mind :D

Thinking of buying my 1st 480 soon.... I drive a V40 bi-fuel daily and love it to bits - but have admired the 480 for many years. I owned a couple of old TR7s not so long ago - a 2.0 litre and then a 240hp 3.9 V8 which was fun :lol: Truth is, they did my head in. Unreliable, bad handling... but cheap to own and insure.

I've since been enjoying a full blown mid life crisis since - on my 4th bike in 3 years. Just got a 2004 Kawasaki Z750 a couple of months ago which is a hoot - but I've promised myself (and the missus) that I'll stop soon. It only takes 1 mistake to have some big consequences - and I have a wee 2 yr old to think about.

.. which brings me to the 480!

When I sell the bike, I'll bank a bit and spend a bit. My 480 budget will be £1k max. I want a model/variant that will be reliable and cheap to maintain. Not worried about fuel consumption - but if I can get a 15+ yr old, I'm hoping/assuming that I'll get a classic policy on it.

My initial thoughts are that I'd enjoy a turbo... but would a 2.0 be a safer proposition for me? I dont want big bills... 2 months after spending over £5k buying my TR7V8, the fuel tank perforated and ended up costing me a fortune to replace - so I dont want to repeat that. I swore I wouldnt buy an old car again, and having 4 utterly reliable Jap bikes has been a maintenance free experience. Overall, am I in for a headache?

I'm in Northern Ireland - and rarely see a 480 so expect that a trip on the Belfast-Stranraer ferry may be the way to go... I have family round Edinburgh and Fife. Anyone selling up a nice clean example before the end of the year?

John

Yossarian
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Yossarian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 pm

The engines are undoubtedly the strongest part of the car. A 1.7 turbo in standard form isn't particularly thirsty, even when you boot it, and neither is it's power going to kill you if you're not careful.

I've got a 2.0ES and on an average 400 (just about) mile tank of petrol, get 32mpg.

This is 80 / 20 town to motorway driving biased.

I have a K plate, 15 years old, and whilst I'm too young to get a classic policy, I'm only paying £45 a month on the insurance.

The only thing is, the rear arches on mine are starting to show and there is a spec or two of rust on the door, and a teensy bit on the top of the windscreen.

The bodywork and the electrics would be the most problematic parts of the car, but neither will cost you horrendous amounts. The anti-rollbar linkages go; I've just had my passenger side one done for £50 (part & fitting).

I'm not mechanically minded and for £550 I'm enjoying an awesome looking quirky car which is in very good condition despite the few blemishes. I don't intend on spending huge amounts making it perfect because it works, and I like it.

Definitely worth the trip over the pond for :D.

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:23 am

The 2.0 models are the most reliable sure, but as mentioned the standard turbo is hardly insane.

I once bought a turbo from a biker....for parts as it was rotten. He said it was the only car that he'd owned gave him any degree of the same thrill as his bike. - Might just have been saying it though!!
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 am

I can see how a turbo car could give you the kick that a bike does... depends on what he was riding. My last bike was a 160bhp Fireblade which weighed just over 170kg, so it'd take a pretty large boost to match that thrill!

I'm limiting my choice.. but was always bowled over by the sight of a black 480. So, for now, its between a 2.0 or a Turbo. For my lowish (£800-1000) budget, I suppose I'd get a cleaner 2.0 for the money wouldn't I?

Is there much more oomph from the Turbo version?

John

Yossarian
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Yossarian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 am

£800 - £1000 should get you a really good example.

Mine cost me £550 (I tried to post a photo, but it wouldn't let me.. :sad: PM me if you want to see).

Everything works except for the heated seats. FSH, 62k on the clock when I bought it.

The 2.0 has 110bhp, and the fact the car is light makes it a scrabble wagon in anything except bone dry conditions. Plenty of oomph in 2nd and 3rd to get you out of trouble.

The 1.7 turbo has about 120bhp and obviously this is delivered differently, as a "kick in the back". I can't describe it properly as I've yet to be driven in one or own one. Some day :).

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm

*I will be down sizing the families "fleet" of 480's :lol:

Have an extremely good 480 ES 2 ltr with half leather seats and virtually brand new tyres wih upgraded alloys (oops forgot its an M reg).
Everything electrical works on it info centre the lot !
Bodywork is clean and sound.
Will come with a years mot and 3 months tax.
Can be picked up from Troon ferry terminal and driven over to Larne.
(P&O irish ferries driver + car £144 one way foot passenger one way £22)
Paris Blue with black jacquard interior/sunroof /JVC radioCD player 4 speakers.

if interested pm me with email address and I can send you all the details.

As my "name" suggests I am in glasgow only an hour away from Troon.
If you want the vehicle checked by someone from the website who stays in scotland or by a relative then that is no problem.

regards Jim

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 am

Well.. I've made the 1st moves to sell my bike. I tell you what did it - my 2 1/2 year old said to me yesterday "Dad, sell your bike. If you get knocked off I'll have no Daddy". I've been teetering on the edge of selling up for 2 years now - but that did it.

He did however go on to say "I want a black Subaru with a big spoiler" just after that... so I'll have to sort him out into the 480 way of thinking! :lol:

Anyway... now that the decision is made I'm actively looking for a 480 - either a 2.0 or a Turbo. I'll post a wanted ad in the proper place to see if theres any more sellers in the next months.

John

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 am

John, I'll keep my eyes peeled for you too.

C
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

NATHANWALLER THE 480 NUTT
480 Newbie

Post by NATHANWALLER THE 480 NUTT » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:35 pm

As soon as your nipper sees the pop up head lights he will forget all about other cars.

Should be OK with the child seat in the back as I take it he is no longer sitting in a rear facing seat?

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:12 pm

NATHANWALLER THE 480 NUTT wrote:As soon as your nipper sees the pop up head lights he will forget all about other cars.

Should be OK with the child seat in the back as I take it he is no longer sitting in a rear facing seat?
He's already talking about the pop ups from the pics I've shown him! And as you say - he's in a proper child seat (forward facing) so it should be no problem.

Just a matter of finding a buyer for the bike... but its a minter and the weather's picking up... so we'll see....

John