Why my signature say the car is squashed (aka I crashed it)

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Why my signature say the car is squashed (aka I crashed it)

Post by rpruen » Thu May 08, 2008 8:44 am

I'm sure people are wondering what happened, so here goes...

It is squashed, quite badly too.

I was going to repair it, but having noticed that there was a crease as far back as under the drivers seat, there is just no way.

I hit a rock, and then the sump hit a bigger rock, and while airborne, the car hit a wall. Speed at the time was abour 50 MPH, and the damage didn't look so bad to start with. The bumper was trashed, and the front rails bent a bit, the wings where still good. The problem is the whole floorpan has crumpled slightly, with easily noticable creases as far back as the front seats.

It wasn't easy to spot until I was under the car taking the engine out. I think the strut brace, and much strenthened (and two extra engine mounts on the strut brace) engine mounts basicaly held the front of the car together.

The funny thing is after the accident, I didn't have one injury, or even any aches or pains. If you are going to crash (I hope not, but it happens) then a 480 isn't a bad car to crash in. I can think of many, many cars of like size, where I would have been badly hurt, or even killed.

I now have a 760, in good condition, with everything working, including the AC/climate control. It's not as interesting to drive, but it goes quite well, with hardly a hint that it has an engine, you just press the pedal and with minimum fuss it takes off. The main problem is to remember you are driving a car, not accidentaly fall asleep sitting in the nice leather armchair....

Frankly I don't have the time to keep a 480 on the road, afterall they do like to be looked after, usualy needing 3-4 hours a week on average, of tinkering to keep them going properly.

Mine was more than this, as I was slowly, by degrees tuning the ECUs for higher boost, I got to 2.5 bar, so not so far off my 3.0 bar target. Though it was clearly too much power for the car, as all hell would break loose, whatever gear it was in. I am keeping the engine, and hope to transplant it into something RWD (340 maybe?)

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

MrE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by MrE » Thu May 08, 2008 10:00 am

Well your 480 has left a mark on the 480 world Rich and a wall somewhere in the country side! Nice solid limestone wall with a 10 yard go-faster strip half way up it! Tis a shame considering we spent a year and a half developing it, but these things happen and now its a go excuse to creat a rear wheel drive monster........... P.s Rich it has now gone to the 480 scrapyard in the sky :(
Edd
1993 Es, turbo conversion. First ceramic coated engine running sweet. Sold! :( miss her
www.teamvolvo.co.uk

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Thu May 08, 2008 10:32 am

Sorry to hear this Rich. Your car was truly the maddest thing I have ever experienced as a passenger in a car and that was before the supercharger and the monster turbo! It was the most grin inducing car ride I have ever been on! I'm glad you were ok and not hurt in the crash. All I can say is good luck for the future and hopefully that monster engine will end up in another car!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

480_rocket
480 Veteran

Re: Why my signature say the car is squashed (aka I crashed

Post by 480_rocket » Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm

rpruen wrote: I am keeping the engine, and hope to transplant it into something RWD (340 maybe?)
Do it! Get over to www.volvo300mania.com, pretty good forum :D

Plus, a lot of 340 or 360 have really low mileage like 30-50k.
'92 480 Turbo, full leather and air con

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Sad to hear, luckily you all right.

I would imagine the torque of your engine will tear the 340 body apart. The 480 is so much stiffer.
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Ettore Bugatti wrote:Sad to hear, luckily you all right.

I would imagine the torque of your engine will tear the 340 body apart. The 480 is so much stiffer.
Agree with you there, but having an engine to gearbox/diff torque tube will do a lot to solve that. The 360 has that as standard, but I'd need something a bit more solid than that.

I think the front of the car was held together by my massively over engineered engine mounting / strut brace effort. I realise the problems of holding the engine in place, even in a 480, so I think that can be solved.

I'm kind of glad to be unhurt too, I was actualy surprised that nothing hurt the next morning. I ca't help but be impressed by how solid the 480 is.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

rpruen

Re: Why my signature say the car is squashed (aka I crashed

Post by rpruen » Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

480_rocket wrote: Do it! Get over to www.volvo300mania.com, pretty good forum :D

Plus, a lot of 340 or 360 have really low mileage like 30-50k.
I'm going to take a little break for a while, if only to save up some money. I spent so much doing this project that it's frightning. Most of that was engine related, so isn't wasted.

I'm going to do something, I'm just not ready to start just yet.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Thu May 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Glad youre OK Rich.

You were always after a better shell anyway eh?!!!lol!

You totally transformed my car and I was always chuffed and grateful with your mod!

Your car was indeed mindblowing,never got to see the full extent but the drive over the Levels that night was grin central!!

Take care matey!

Steve :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Cerberus
480 Expert

Post by Cerberus » Thu May 08, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm sorta sad the beast hit the wall cos means I won't get to see it..

but I'm really glad yr ok dude... especially because stories of 480's
being tough little things makes me feel better about the way the missus
drives hers... :D

You should at least have a bruise! Glad you don't tho ;)

C

rpruen

Re: .

Post by rpruen » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm

catgroom wrote:Glad youre OK Rich.

You were always after a better shell anyway eh?!!!lol!

You totally transformed my car and I was always chuffed and grateful with your mod!

Your car was indeed mindblowing,never got to see the full extent but the drive over the Levels that night was grin central!!
Things happen. It's just the way it goes. I looked at quite a few 480s and never did find the perfect shell.

Well that was before the supercharger wasn't it? That changed things a little. There was much more noise, and an instant burst of power on pressing the peadal.

My favorite tune, was about 200 bhp, with as near as possible a flat torque curve from 2500 rpm to redline. It's not unlike the 2.8 V6 I have now, but was a lot more 'raw', not refined. It was good, and great fun to drive.

I got one of those warning ticket things from the police, for driving a screaming monster at night time. If eaton superchargers are supposed to be quiet, then I'd hate to hear a loud one.

Having spent all that time building the thing, at least I got to drive it for a while, even if it was never technicaly finished. Several times I almost gave up, as the amount of work to be done was so great. I mean moving the engine up 20mm and forward 30mm to make room for the huge T3, and then still having to find room for the supercharger at the front. None of it was easy, and problem solving became a way of life. That and having to add to/brace up all the existing engine mounting hardware. Nothing was easy, even the easy bits turned out to be hard!

Then there is the eprom emulator, wideband O2 sensor, data logging, and trying to tune the thing. Many hours of tinkering with electronics, and computerised dohickies, it's enough to turn you mental.

Then there is the ceramic coating, nobody has done what I wanted before, so that too was started from scratch. Looking a the various processes, the thickness of the coating, how well it is attached to the metal, thermal factors, what finish to apply to each part(as is, light polish, fine polish, machined?) before and after coating, what process (es) to use and in what order. For example the pistons... Machined for lower compression ratio and balanced, then lightly polished, then metal sparayed externaly, then machined to size externaly, final balance, then masked for first keronite treatment, then masked for seccond keronite treatment, then lightly polished the ceramic parts on the crown, then fine polish the first ring grove (also ceramic coated, for strength). No pressure or anything, right first time, or waste £800 and a set of pistons.

Most people never see this part of it. They look at the finished item, and half of the stuff done isn't even there to see, it's buried in the middle of the engine.

This is why I am taking a break, because it's all got too much, and I need some time to recover, before starting anything new.

Sorry, slighty rantish post :)

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Cerberus wrote:I'm sorta sad the beast hit the wall cos means I won't get to see it..

but I'm really glad yr ok dude... especially because stories of 480's
being tough little things makes me feel better about the way the missus
drives hers... :D

You should at least have a bruise! Glad you don't tho ;)

C
I know, it's sad, after so much work too.

The 480 is tough, and will look after you should the worst happen. That I can be sure of.

Given a little time, the engine will end up back in some sort of car, maybe even a 480. It's too early to say yet.

Whatever happens it will always be a 480 engine, whatever it is wearing.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

sr480t
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by sr480t » Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 pm

I did wonder what happened to ya mate, but as i said to ya over the phone, better you were not hurt. Shame the damage was so far along the car, glad your saving the engine and iam sure you'll find a good shell to put it into. Iam sure everyone here will keep there eyes open for ya, Sham.

AKelly1989
480 Newbie

Post by AKelly1989 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:57 pm

is there pics of your car rich? never did see it only ever heard about it :D

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 am

AKelly1989 wrote:is there pics of your car rich? never did see it only ever heard about it :D
There where some pics of the engine etc. I think they have gone now since I changed ISPs.

The actual car itself was totaly standard looking from the outside, so not much to show. I have all the pictures stored, so I'll see if I can find somewhere to put them.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

Chris_C
Started learning about 480

Post by Chris_C » Wed May 14, 2008 10:43 am

Really sorry to here that Rich, I've often looked at your gallery's pics and been so impressed with the work gone in, but as everyone else has said, very very glad you walked out.

If you ever do decide to put that engine in a 300, give me a shout and I'll offer whatever advice I can, I've one sat with an 18FT bolted in, just need a free week to get to my parents house to finish the plumbing. Don't worry about the chassis too much, the other 18ft'd 340 is pushing around 220 atm, the gearbox is good for it, though that engine might ditate some other bits :D