New girl on the block

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

New girl on the block

Post by MiniHaHa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Hello! I need some advice please. I am in the market for a cool, retro car as a run about & have always adored the 480. I am a total car nut & also own a Clio Williams & original Mini Cooper.
So what model is reliable & cheapish to run please? I presume the Turbo versions will be a lot more to insure & run & the Clio already bleeds me dry there!

Thanks in advance

Jaine

aibast
480 Connoisseur

Post by aibast » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 pm

if you want performance then get a turbo car I think. And try to find a late modelyear like 94-95 I think they are the best.
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold

macaroni
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by macaroni » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:44 pm

I know you...welcome!

We almost arranged a meet once and I was going to bring my 480 along.

I have a '94 turbo and love it. Mechanically-wise, a well-looked after one is pretty reliable and mine can give an average 36mpg when driven sensibly. However, who wants to be sensible and a turbo with a "Richmod", MBC and decat is monstrously fast.

I would sell mine for a decent price and if I could find a good 205gti, the best french hot hatch ever!

If you want any more advice, or fancy a drive in one, give me a shout!

Macaroni

P.S. Did you ever get to the Thames Sea Forts?

eEm
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eEm » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Welcome, nice to see a lady who likes to get her hands dirty!

The 2.0l is the easiest on fuel and the smoothest to drive.
The 1.7l is a little bit more thirsty and a fair bit rougher when you bury the right boot.
The turbo is obviously the juciest and there's alot more to go wrong.

Insurance wise theres not really much in it group 14/15 so peanuts really.

These aren't cars for pencil-necks! If you're the sort of person who takes your car to a dealer or mechanic to have an oil change!!! then don't bother, get a fiesta or a corsa!!!!!!!!!!!! Volvo will charge you 60-70% more for the same part you would find on a Saab or Renault, that is if they still make it! and nothing is simple to remove or replace ie. clutch is an engine-out / subframe off job.
You need to keep an observant eye on these cars to pre-empt problems because they were not designed by a genius and made from recycled plastic and poorly welded.

Enjoy ;)
Why won't God heal amputees?

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:22 pm

Macaroni.
Hey honey how you doing? How lovely to find you here.
Is it only the 1.7 that are turbo? I am totally new to these so bear with me as I have seen a really nice 2.0ES for sale.
Jaine x

No going this year if you fancy it?
Last edited by MiniHaHa on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eEm
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eEm » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Correct, same engine for all three really, its just that the 2.0l was bored out slightly and given a different head.
Why won't God heal amputees?

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:36 pm

I would sell mine for a decent price and if I could find a good 205gti, the best french hot hatch ever!
We could have a good discussion about that one :wink:

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm

the turbo is the three i have but i have also had every other engine option going.

My opinion for what its worth is to go for the 2ltr as you are after cheaper insurance and good mpg. The 2ltr engine also has the option of being tuned but will decrease the mpg

The turbo is the same as a 2ltr in standard form but is more tunable but uses more fuel than the 2ltr

The 1.7 can be quite good on fuel as long as you don't cane the arse of it. Which is what you will have to do to get aywhere in a hurry.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Thank you for the various advice, because I have the Willy I really dont need a turbo as want to keep costs down. I have seen 2.0ES go for about £500-600 in good nick, is this the right sort of price?
Cannot see any for sale on here :(
Jaine

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:53 pm

I have driven all three engines and must say that the 2 liter was the most relaxed engine of all three, turbo is a bit more fun though. Must say tham mine is not chipped/tuned, so the difference between a 2-liter and a turbo would certainly increase by tuning.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 pm

If the Williams is costing you quite a bit to run, then forget about a Turbo.

I've had all 3 variants in different 400 series Volvo's- 1.7 GLEi (equivalent to an ES in a 480) in a Mk1 440 which was great. 140k on the clock and still sweet as a nut-but always felt like i wanted a little more. I had the B20F 2.0i engine in my later 440 (also used in the 480), and it was a brilliant engine. It did use a little more oil than the 1.7, but the 2.0's do have a bit of a reputation for this-but it didn't consume it at a rate that worried me, just kept an eye on it a little more. The 1993 1.7 Turbo (in my late 480) i had was brilliant. Even in standard form it was fun, but with the Rich Mod...wow. But it is true, there is more to go wrong and they can be very thirsty.

If i was in your situation, i'd put the 2.0i at the top of my list. It's a nice smooth engine (good torque and bhp-not too much for the size of the car). It pulled fine in my 440 (and that was heavy with a ridiculous heavy install in the boot), so in the 480 should be quite fun. I remeber coming back from Skegness at the Lincs meet '06, and Stu Chacks and i were gunning it a bit (VBB had surprisingly disappeared in the distance somewhere :lol: ;)), and i remember being quite surprised at how quick Stu's 2.0i was. No match for the Rich Mod'd Turbo mind, but he was giving it some and it did hoss along.

If i was to have one again as a second car, it would be a toss up between the Turbo and the 2.0i...the only thing with having a Turbo (and Rich Mod) is that it's hard to go back to an N/A car, and thats what i'd struggle with...

Er, but yes-if you're running a money pit already, then get a 2.0i. :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:06 pm

Thank you again. Tis not so much the Willy is a money pit but he is a stunner so I try to keep him garaged & in as good as nick as possible so the Volvo will be outside & going back & forth to work or taking dogs out.
I have checked Pistonheads, AutoTrader & Ebay, there are a couple of nice ones but not too sure what I should be looking for on a 2.0.
Jaine

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:05 am

There is a 480 ES on Ebay at the moment, in Gt Yarmouth, what do people reckon to this one? I was going to bid. I asked the bloke outright what he wants & he said £900? Sounds a fair bit to me?
Jaine

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:28 am

Sounds a bit steep for a 2litre to me, but it looks quite good.

It's only at £450 now, so he might be disappointed.

Sophie
480 Is my middle name

Post by Sophie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 pm

MiniHaHa wrote:
We could have a good discussion about that one :wink:
Oh come on, it's not because Jeremy Clarkson said it was the best hot hatch on earth that you have to believe it... It's good, with TCT or T16 swap... :D
The only good thing about them is the chassis, but you'll get that on any Pug...

Anyway, 480's ! :hopping: If you want something reliable, don't go for an early Turbo. 88-89 turbos are great fun, but you spend your life with your head under the bonnet... The most reliable I found was the ES with B18EP engine. A mix of B18E and B18EP will give you a bit of extra power.
2nd series Turbos are good, never had any problems with the ones I had, but the fun factor is non existant, and you feel like you're driving a lambda modern car, there's no impression of driving an 80's "sports" anymore.

The thing is to try a few before deciding, it's unlikely that you'll get an unbiased opinion from us, all being 480 lovers for different reasons.

Good luck :wink:
480 Turbo > 1989 Graphite Grey
MR2 MK1 > 1989...
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/cosworth/la_team-bordelaise/Sophie.gif[/img]

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Williams is better than a 205 anyday ;) :wink:

480 idea may be on hold as rad got two leaks on Willy so got to get that sorted first bless him.

Thanks for all your help & if anyone local to Essex with a 480 I would love to see & go out in it.

Jaine

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:33 pm

205 vs Willy? No contest.

You have an open invite to try my 480!

MiniHaHa
480 Newbie

Post by MiniHaHa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 pm

I would love to as the Mini will be being sold probably once I can break my heart to do it & then I will have a decent amount of spare cash to get a car.
I will bring the Willy to our meet so you can say Bonjour to a REAL french hot hatch :rofl:

Jaine

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:04 pm

That TT is only up the road from me. Looks pretty clean, and came from the Volvo centre in my town, and the guy there doesn't buy/sell rubbish, so i'd go on the impression it'd be pretty good... With regards to 2.0i pricing, on a 'K', i'd pay no more than £600, but it depends how much you want to spend/how much you want one...

Williams Vs 205 GTi (would have to be the 1.9, just for the nicer wheels alone)...it's a tough call. The Williams was a very 'wow' car imo-you had the Clio 16v's etc, but when the Williams were new... I guess to me, they're in the same Category as the R5 Raiders-in as much as they're different to the norm, but also if you had the choice between an R5 GTT or a GT Raider, i'd pick the Raider-same as i'd pick the Williams over the 16v. However. 205 GTi's in mint condition are great. And they did do the 'Goodwood' edition or something like that (dark green with different interior??)-i had a work colleague who had one years ago...and that was nice. So you have the same with the 205's. But, if it were my choice-a nice K plate 205 GTi or Williams, i'd pick the.....

:D

Williams are still nice, but 205's are nicer (but it would have to be the 1.9...i can't stress that enough :lol:)
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:28 pm

£900 for a 480 with a duffed info centre. Thats way over the top he must think there are people out there with more money than sense!

Fixing an info centre can be a real major problem or a simple fix there is no way of knowing beforehand. You do really need a petrol guage. I thought it would be relatively easy to adapt a 10 bar led display circuit but had to admit defeat after a number of goes and trial circuit adaptions.

Ended up using an analogue meter with a scale adaption. For £900 it has to be at least in mint condition all electrics working and good neat body work with half leather seats (jaquard) not corded ones.