When do you start to miss it?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

When do you start to miss it?

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Well...

The sale of the car hasn't gone as well as planned. It's still in my drive as we speak, and yes, the blurb next to the avatar is true-i have only washed her once in a month...shock! Surprising how a lack of enthusiasm can affect your 'relationship' so much. Guess thats why some people never get married :lol:

Anyway-i suppose this only really counts to people who've sold a 480, but come back again. When did you miss it?

It sunk in again on my way home tonight. Just left Shaneeka's, got about halfway home and a little boy really really liked the either the glass hatch, the badging, or the rear bumper. Or perhaps his eyesight was bad and he was just trying to read the URL plastered across the top of the hatch... He came hairing up behind me. I was enjoying a nice leisurely drive home, the stereo about 50% listening to the classic, that is 'Jericho', by the Prodigy :lol:. I just couldn't help it. I had teased him at a few junctions, pulling away fast until i hit 30mph where i stayed dead on it until the next one. Everytime he had to hammer on-are these boys stupid? I stuck my foot down on a small bit of dual carriageway and burned him. I saw his headlights point upwards as he 'tried' to imitate the acceleration. Unluckily for him the road turned single again and he had to wait behind me. He still couldn't see the URL either... Next bit of dual carriageway was great. I floored it upto 70ish, and then sat there in 3rd. I could see him catching, and just as his mate opened the window and made a round handed gesture (i think he was referring to some form of manual relief) i put my foot down and waved out the window as he nearly caught me up. Needless to say the old Turbo + Richmod just pulled and pulled, unitil i turned off at the roundabout, whereabouts i had given him enough time to read the badge once more...yes mate, it said 'Volvo', embarrased?, as he flew over the roundabout in an '55 (2005 to the Euro members) reg Seat of somesort. Think it was an Ibiza. I mean, come on... But the whole time, the car never faultered. I wasn't thrashing her, there was no boost issues-nothing (touchwood!)-it was effortless. Which is a testament, that after 14 years, the car still goes. It's not an 'airy fairy' everyday lump thats found in 500 cars, it's got a bit of stature-the car still felt solid, tight and reliable-i never questioned it or had any doubt in my mind when i was participating in the carrot dangling :lol:. Totally great car. (i should add, that i'm quite a fart normally, but i couldn't turn this opportunity down...had it have been a Skyline like the one that did overtake me the other day, i would have just let it go. Or at least had a bash anyway...:lol:)

My point is-i think i'm coming to terms how much i'm going to miss it. The pop-ups, the info centre, the totally unique shape associated to a Volvo-the half leather, the Momo, the quality exhaust scraping ride height (drove today with the driver door open slightly...bloody hell it's low lol)-the Turbo + Mod-the fact that aside from the clear indicators and the suspension, the exterior of the car is standard and it still looks awsome.

I can't pin-point what i'll miss the most. The stereo is cool, but audio can be replaced, the 480 can't. I will be sad to see it go-no matter how practical the situation is, i can honestly say this is the car i've had the most fun in in the 8 years of driving i've had.

It's still in the middle of a sale negotiation with another forum member (and no, it's not Roo...infact, he's not even scottish :shock: :lol: ;)), so may not be too long before it goes anyway.

So, 480 addicts, what made you return/what will you miss when the day comes/came? I think i'll miss it all. Oh, actually, i won't miss paying £1.03 p/l of petrol for a while though :lol: (But lets not start a petrol debate... :no: )

Fire away! :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Lol, I was listening
Whitesnake - Is this love (EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnH4yNqL8E)
Fits to your post too, the lyrics are a bit different though ;)

I've never lost my ride, altough I've only driven it about 150km in last two and a half years. I still have to wait for another six months to get it on the road. To be honest there hasn't been a day that I haven't thought about that car.

For me its somehow hard to describe what I like about it. Its a huge factor that it was my first car but there is something on its looks that any other car wouldn't do. Also I've got that car constantly in my dreams, mainly they are nightmares of me crashing it. I know I'll be very nervous when I can drive it again.

Fixing the car for well over two years has given me a feeling of success. I've never done something similar with my own two hands. I've renovated my small apartment together with my missus from top to bottom without outsider help, but that doesn't come even close with this.

480 never let me down. Now I cannot let her down :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Shut up Dan!
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:11 am

As i said in my pm a few weeks ago Dan... I can very happily not drive my 480.

I sit for 2 hours a day in a slow, soul-less nissan, listening to radio two.
This is alright because i have a 480 in my garage.

I also just sat in a pub talking about fast cars with member's of Loki's quick car club.
I feel not even a tiny bit like a pretrender, because,
i have a 480 in my garage.

It doesn't matter that its not insured, or taxed, or that i don't know when the next time i drive it will be.

You wouldn't believe the shit i take at work over my 480, but my callender remains resolute, defiant on my wall.
I could go out tomorrow and buy a new car with my savings but i don't need to because i have a 480 in my garage, and i couldn't explain to them the feeling that i get from that, so i don't even try.

So I guess for the 8 months, more, or less that might go between drives of my 480, i don't really miss it, but its never really gone.

Without one...i dunno how i'd feel.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:12 am

I am getting withdrawal symptoms now. It has been 3 weeks since I drove mine, with a good possibility that this will be my last day of ownership.

I miss the sheer fun of it, the darting, weaving, twisting and turning. The irresistable urge to move onward that the car gives me.
With a Rich mod the car is still a capable performer.

I have a feeling that I would like another in the future.
And, if today is to be my last with her, I will be very sad.

Even now I have my doubts about selling her.

:(

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Don`t you will regret it.Put it in a garage or lend it out.The money you
are asking is nothing.What would spend it on ? Before you know it you
wil have no 480 and nothing to show for it.
Sorry if that sounds a bit heavy but take it from me I have sold things
for next to nothing and a few weeks after kicked myself for it.
[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/aelhead/480-1.jpg[/img]

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 pm

I havent sold mine, but the minute she was off the road i missed her! I do love my new car (its another 80s quirky & nippy car [its actually faster than the GT 0-60 wise) But now people look at me for different reasons...god how i miss those pop ups...the air con...heated seats... :rofl:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:33 pm

kev wrote:Don`t you will regret it.Put it in a garage or lend it out.The money you
are asking is nothing.What would spend it on ? Before you know it you
wil have no 480 and nothing to show for it.
Sorry if that sounds a bit heavy but take it from me I have sold things
for next to nothing and a few weeks after kicked myself for it.
No worries...but it is going towards paying the last of my overdraft off, so no chance of wasting it! ;) If it wasn't for the overdraft i'd be keeping it...i think :?
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 pm

I've had a 480 before, years ago. It was replaced by a great car no doubt. But yes I always felt I wanted one back. Because of the looks, because of the great seats, because of the road holding and handling, because of the stupid little trunk and the rear window wiper.
When I make a two hour drive I get out as fresh as when started my journey. That's not so with any other car I've driven.
What I do miss on my 480: Mercedes automatic, Citroën suspension, Audi build quality, BMW 6 cylinder, Prius economy, Porsche brakes, affordable parts prices. If it had that it would be perfect. Oh and the steering wheel in the center.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

crispy-d
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by crispy-d » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 am

Haha - amazing! I just popped back onto the site as I'm missing my 460 like mad and wanted to see how things were going, then saw this! Mine wasn't even a 480 and I'm missing it dearly!

I got rid of mine because it was costing a fortune. I serviced it every 4000miles, but that was the cheap bit! Suspension bits, tyres, idle valves and pretty much anything else I could think of needed changing or tweaking - but I realise now that was the fun!

My new car is without a doubt amazing - I've had it for half a year now, and I've not been to the garage once, apart from to service it. It's smooth, BIG, sounds amazing and is RWD! Thought it'd be the answer to my woes - but as it happens, I'm almost bored with the constant faultless driving. And the boost! Where's all the boost gone? :( I miss the whistling, being pushed back into the seat each time the Richmod kicked in after every gearchange - in fact I miss the gearchange!! Automatic's BORING! (No offence intended, Martin ;) )

Looking back on it, it was sooooo fun to drive, and was quick too! I'm also beginning to think the seats were even more comfortable than my current ones, which is surprising.

Basically, it wasn't a great car, and would regularly break or undress itself as it pleased. And it needed constant attention. But it was fun and added a bit of spice to the journey, in that every journey was interesting. Whether you race some pleb in a suped-up hatch or just drive along steadily at 80mph on the motorway and still manage to return 35mpg. No matter what, the handling always ensured an exciting trip!

In other words, if you sell it, you'll miss it. Other cars simply don't have the character the 480 does. And assuming it drives the same as mine did, you won't find a car that's as fun very easily (I know, I know - there are quicker cars out there which are very fun to drive but not in the same way).

I wish I'd kept mine hidden away somewhere, to play with at the weekends, but I didn't cos I'm a scabby student. Only got £525 for it. That's only £125 off what I paid for the exhaust alone!! :shock:

KEEP IT!

All the best

Crispin
Volvo 340 GL 1.7 :) - Nice (RWD missed) - sold
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E34 540i 6-speed Manual V8 :) - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Dan,never mate!

I never miss my 480.I dont even think about it.As far as Im concerned yer well shot of their problematic nature.

I found that they did have a certain something but in even more time,that will go too.I just plain dont miss it at all.Theyre harsh engined,poorly built,and a complete money pit.

As far as Im concerned,youve got great taste in cars-go out there and sample some others then see if youre still drawn by the 480.

I now drive a car which has nowhere near the ummm "character",cough,of a 480 but is so well made and leaves you still feeling fresh after a journey.My 480s never did.

All I will say in their favour is they do go well for what they are and mainly .....the insurance is bloody cheap!Thats why I owned them!

Go sample my man! :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

JohnTurbo

Re: .

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm

catgroom wrote:Dan,never mate!

I never miss my 480.I dont even think about it.As far as Im concerned yer well shot of their problematic nature.
In that case get tha frick off this site you doubting nancy, lest i go on audi-lust.org and start pontificating about Audis being no more than glorified sour-kraut.

And another thing:-

I don't like you, and i don't like people who look like you.

Git.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:09 pm

ROFL!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

Please note how this dissing was taken in good humour :D ;)

stu chacks

Post by stu chacks » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Ahh, well don't shoot me down with Groomiester, as I'm 480-less these days too but....

I miss the looks, unique-ness(?) and the drive of the 480. Still think my old 89' black turbo was the best car I've driven, smile factor 10 when you blew away newer cars in a rusting G reg Volvo, so I know where your comming from Dan. Other cars might be as quick/quicker but VFM you can't beat the 480t me finks.

But, I know I can (and probably will) get back into one again somtime (f there's any decent ones left in the future), so no worries there.

Enjoying our new mx5 atm anyway, 480 may be the best drive, but mazdas are the most reliable car I've ever had, and loads of fun (especially coming off wet roundabouts), and we haven't even had the top down yet!

Suppose I need to get a leaving post sorted out :cryhard:

Stu.

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Noble Green Stu???

Same as the family Maz we have!

You must also indulge in weekend slicks then,that you whack on just for your Sunday afternoon quick theres no coppers about back road spins!!

We know we do!

:D

macaroni
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by macaroni » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:03 pm

Oh shut up!! I am about to maybe swap mine for a 205gti and I am worried I will miss the 480 uncontrollably.

Having said that, I can happily leave my 480 on the drive for weeks whilst I drive the Matra without missing it. But that is the point, the 480 is on the drive!

I do love 205s though... Oh for a big garage!

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm

as i have said in another post. You will only miss a car that reflects you and is in your soul. If you can part with it in the first place for the litle money these cars are worth then i would honestly say that either you haven't found the one or its not in your soul.

People like ED have found the car and when the time came to change to the turbo he couldn't part with it. So he simply carried out the turbo conversion. This is just one example.

Mine is sat in the garage in quite a sorry state yet even if someone offered me an obsence amount of money i wouldn't part with it. I was once parked up a safeway (thats going back some) and some bloke offered me 3.5K for my twinpipes. But i just wasn't interested and still wouldn't be even in the state that its in.

I would rather just park it up and know that its there and not being raped by some chav smoking his joint flicking ash all over it.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:04 am

lee wrote:as i have said in another post. You will only miss a car that reflects you and is in your soul. If you can part with it in the first place for the litle money these cars are worth then i would honestly say that either you haven't found the one or its not in your soul.

People like ED have found the car and when the time came to change to the turbo he couldn't part with it. So he simply carried out the turbo conversion. This is just one example.

Mine is sat in the garage in quite a sorry state yet even if someone offered me an obsence amount of money i wouldn't part with it. I was once parked up a safeway (thats going back some) and some bloke offered me 3.5K for my twinpipes. But i just wasn't interested and still wouldn't be even in the state that its in.

I would rather just park it up and know that its there and not being raped by some chav smoking his joint flicking ash all over it.
do you know....my turbo is pretty much in the same state.....its rotten, and pretty knackered....and ive stripped it with the intention of rebuilding to its former glory....god knows when i will ever get it finished.....but i would NEVER part with it.....
at the moment i havent got a driveable 480 (might change soon...seeing bank manager this afternoon ;) ) and i miss the fun of the 480.....its too iconic to me to ever be without one. its either in your blood, or it isnt.....my blood is flooded with rain water in the back, and rusty round the bendy bits.....through and through.
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Joolz

Post by Joolz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:25 pm

I've driven 480's continuously without a break and no winter car to fall back on, for over 10 years now (is that a record?) Time is not on my side anymore though and being an old gal one day I may want something a little more reliable.

But for now the thought of giving up on my 480 makes me hyperventilate :lol:
Volvo 480 Celebration 466 Dark Grey Metallic (PUS)
previously
Volvo 480 2 ltr Paris Blue
Volvo 480 2 ltr Peacock Green
Volvo 480 1.7 White
Volvo 760 GLE Saloon 2.8 V6 Blue

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 pm

god I love those popups!

drives like on rails

cheap as chips to buy anyway

get a spares car and strip for spares and sit back and enjoy.

remember theres no pockets in a shroud so LIVE brothers indulge those fastest fantasies burn rubber
be an adrenaline junkie get your 480 fix and too hell with the cost of petrol if you want economy get a diesel till then just VROOM VROOM its what your right foot was for ;)