RichMod gone....The end of an era!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

RichMod gone....The end of an era!

Post by VanDerGraaf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 am

Yes, it is true :( last week I sold my Richmod to a forum member who will no doubt reveal himself soon extolling its virtues!

It really is the end of an era for me, and I am rather sad about it.

I will have to leave the world of the 480 for now. :(

After close to 4 years with 480 Turbos, I have had to change vehicle.
Recently I quit my job of the last 6 years. My musical goals were never going to become reality quickly enough without doing this, so I took the plunge. I fully intend not to get a regular job again till the new year. I will be spending my time making my aims become closer to reality.

The 480 was starting to get a bit, shall we say, cramped. It is a wonderfully versatile car with regards to carrying things, but eventually the laws of physics kick in and you reach a limit. I was starting to reach that limit with the 480. I knew I had to get something else that was big enough to swallow all of my musical equipment with ease. However, after the (modded) 480, it would also have to be quick enough to give me some fun thrashing it about...

At this point in similar discussions, a Volvo estate appears in the picture- usually an 850 T-5.
After consideration, I decided to become a traitor to the marque.

I bought a Saab! :dispute:

Only once I had got the thing home (450 miles), and had realised that even with an overboost issue clouding its performance, the thing was rather quick, bloody comfy and handled better than I'd been led to believe, could I finally let go of the richmod. And, now, the 480 itself. :cryhard:

Guys, I really don't want to sell my Turbo. I don't. But circumstances dictate that it must be so.

I can't really put my thoughts into words (for once). All the time I have spent with the forum, all the people I have met, friends I have made, all that I have learned about cars where once I knew nothing at all.

It's too much to think about to be honest.

:(

So my Turbo is for sale, you've all seen the pics on the forum, PM me if you like.
I have an interested party who gets first refusal but let me know if you are interested.

Feeling sad now....

Rohan

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:13 am

Awww Rohan no. I know what its like, I have to get a bigger car to soon, its just one of those things unfortunatly.

I thought you had a couple of turbos? Or have they both got to go?

Also what Saab did you get?

2001 V70

LASEROWL
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by LASEROWL » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 am

Sorry to hear you'll be 480 less soon mate.

I must admit i have a soft spot for Saab's, im sure it will prove to be a good buy and as much fun in its own way.

Congratulations on taking that step to acheive your goal and the very very best of luck to you. So many of us have Dreams, Aims, Goals but just sit back and do nothing about obtaining them.

It was a pleasure to meet you a couple of years ago and i sincerley hope our paths cross again sometime. Keep coming back to the forum, in fact im sure you will, I'll stop witterin on now except to wish you all the best again.

Good luck

Wayne :D
1994 480ES 2.0l White.....Mechanically restored,Full Hausser Kit fitted..possibly for sale. NOW SOLD..on route to Hungary for T4 transplant!!!
2012 Fiat 500 Twin Air.....Italian style.
Previous - 1992 480ES 1.7l Lavendel Metallic
- 1991 480ES Paris Edition
- 1991 480 SE Paris Blue Edition 52 Reg
- 1998 S80 SE T6...272BHP

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v186/LASEROWL/

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 pm

As you well know i can relate to your situation my friend-and it's a hard descision to make. The 480 has a soul which makes it equally harder to part company with, but to quote yourself, it is just a car. Doesn't make it any easier at times. I noticed you hadn't been around much and had kinda guessed it was heading this way after a few things you had mentioned up in Cumbria...

Glad you've purchased something you're happy with though-hopefully it'll go someway to plugging the gap the 480 leaves, and Saab's are very nice cars.

Always a hard choice, never easy-but consider it an evolution of your life. 480's have been a part of yours for a while-but things change and priorities change with them, so think of it as a positive move forward.

Aside from that, to quote you again-don't be a stranger on the forum, it would be a shame to lose one of the forum characters-most of your posts always seem to be very meaningful and heartfelt, and i admire a person who can carry their opinion without resorting hostility.

Hope you're happy with the Saab, may it bring you reliability and quality plastic trim! :lol: ;)
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:27 pm

I have to repect you for grabbing your life by the ball and following your dream. I hope you don't forget us when you make it in to the premiership.

Good luck and all the best mate. just remember we are all here 480 or no 480

lee
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Ok, here's what I bought:

Saab 9000 Aero: Cargo swallower, rapid long distance traveller, I'm very impressed with it so far. No rust :) and full service history. I am lucky owner number 3!

With 225bhp it isn't exactly slow- and there is apparently easy potential for more..... :twisted:

The seating is brilliant- probably the most comfortable (and supportive) car seats I have experienced.

And here's my favourite pic:

If only it could stay that way.....

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:21 am

You'll work of this insolance in the acid mines!!! ;)
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Murf

Post by Murf » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Hey, thats pretty nice actually!! No pop ups though, you can get a shot of mine if you feel the urge :D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Bugger, the damn thing's broken already!

Back to the Volvo! :lol:

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Sorry to see you'll be 480-less soon mate. May I wish you every success with your musical aims and I hope you wont be a stranger round here. The forums lost a few decent members recently. :(
Your Saab looks really nice, i've always had a notion for one of those or the earlier shape 900 Turbo.

Keep in touch! :D

sallysal
480 Veteran

Post by sallysal » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Rohan,

sorry to hear that the call of the other side was so strong.................actually, I rather like Saabs myself - always loved the Saab 96!
modern Saabs though - darned comfy! :)

I know what you mean about space - I often find I'm having to piece all my equipment and materials in the car like a jigsaw when I'm teaching.

You'll miss it, but in the words of the great freedom fighter (not) Sean Connery.....never say never! (bloody awful film), who knows what the future holds - you may well be back in the seat of a 480 in the not too distant future.........the call is strong........ ;)

Ally's saving for new arches for his, and I need an exhaust and 4 new tyres for mine, ....it never ends............ :(
Sx
1995 M reg 2.0l flamer, with Ltd Ed interior, sadly departed, but not forgotten

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah and a set of Tauri wouldnt go a miss for Xmas either Ally :D ;)
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

barnsleyGT
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by barnsleyGT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 pm

takes massive kahuna's to pack in your job to concentrate fully on an ambition so i have big respect for ya.

good luck Rohan.

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:53 am

Sad news indeed...

Good luck mate

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 am

Sorry you are leaving the 480 experience.
Saab looks a good choice though.
You don`t know how tempted I am to buy your car but I have a
holiday to pay for.Also I cant polish two 480`s as it would take too
much time & effort. :lol:
God I`m tempted.
Did I mention I`m tempted.
[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/aelhead/480-1.jpg[/img]

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:33 am

kev wrote:Sorry you are leaving the 480 experience.
Saab looks a good choice though.
You don`t know how tempted I am to buy your car but I have a
holiday to pay for.Also I cant polish two 480`s as it would take too
much time & effort. :lol:
God I`m tempted.
Did I mention I`m tempted.
Do it Kev, worry about the consequences later. :D Thats what i did with the charger. :lol:

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Hey VDG, I'm sure i replied to this post before, but it's not there! :dunno: Perhaps i was too abusive! (only messing!)

Anyhow, thats a shame your no longer a 480 owner, it couldn't have been an easy desission to make. Just because you don't have a 480 anymore, it doesn't make you a bad person, and a Saab is a good choice of replacement, even tho it has funny wing mirrors and an even stranger gear knob!

Don't you think the pic where the 480 nose is facing the Saab's nose looks like their snarling at each other?
VanDerGraaf wrote: Image
good luck with the new music wagon!
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i