My descision to sell the 480...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

My descision to sell the 480...

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi people.

Basically, i've had a few PM's enquiring into my descision-so rather than keep PM'ing, i'll fill you in. This has been a really good forum, and despite the recent lack of enthusiasm in the club, it's still a great place. I've made some good 'cyber' friends, but all the people i've met along the way have been really great too. Very supportive, very kind-and often sarcastic and crude, which is right up my street. I don't have to explain myself to anybody, but you're a good bunch and i feel happy telling you. I PM'd JT as he was a naughty naughty boy posting in my diary thread, so rather than type it out again, i'll just paste the content here:
I'll fill you in on the details. Basically, my overdraft has been hanging over my head since i was about 18. It's turned into a bit of a long running joke. But it's not just that, i'm just not happy with things the way they are full stop. You know about my situation regarding my degree etc. The job at Volvo didn't happen as you may have guessed-long story, but basically my face didn't fit after all that and they made me fully aware.

So, i'm still looking for graphics work, but i've been doing alot of thinking the last few weeks. I spoke to a friend who was in the industry, and after a chat with him i realised i had to take the situation by the horns so to speak. I feel like i'm still in student mode. I work part time, i've got a £1050 overdraft (it was -£3k, so i've done well to get it down) and i'm driving an older car (i'm not a snob, i just want something newer)-this situation is exactly the same one i was in 8 years ago, and i don't want it to be like this anymore. I love the 480, but i told Shaneeka a long while before the meet that i was losing enthusiasm-and i've had time to reflect the last few weeks. I've wanted a late T4 or a V/S70 T5/R for ages-i've wanted my overdraft cleared for ages. And now that the car is running fine, it's probably at it's best-so i figured why not wipe the slate clean. I'm applying for loads of different full time jobs, with the money i've been offered for the car, i can clear my overdraft and have a bit left. Ok, i'll be car-less, but i'll be debt free-something i've wanted for a long while. Not having a car has been easy the last 6 weeks-i use the Clio if i need it, but i bike everywhere. And i've been a bit better off too!

I love the 480 to bits as you know-and it really, really is breaking my heart to do it-but i've got to address my situation-i don't want to be here in another years time-so i'm taking the first in a series of positive steps to change my life-only i can do it. It's been frustrating of late, so the time has come to move on. It's not just the 480, it's alot of things in my life too. Time to let go of alot of memories that i've clung onto for too long.

I'll miss the 480, and i'lll miss the forum-but it's time to part company. You know what i mean-you get a little shunt that puts things into perspective?

I know for a fact i'm wasting my time advertising on the forum, hence the slightly abrupt diary thread-i know what everyone on here is like with regards to a 480's worth. I've spoken to a couple of other members and they suggested private because they think the car is worth more than it would be on the forum lol. I've actually got a guy calling me later-he's just checking the insurance (he's only 21), but he knows the car and has said that if the insurance is ok he'd like to put a deposit on it asap! So perhaps it's meant to be? Who knows! Cheers for the post though-nice to see that somebody cares! I think it's surprised a few people actually, i've had a few PM's today :lol:

Dan the sad nearly 480-less man :)
So thats the story. It's not an easy decision, but it's a good time for me to do it. I've got thousands of pictures of the car, so it won't feel like i've sold it for a long while i don't reckon! And the lad checking the insurance is a good mate of mine-and he looks after his cars. Never thrashed or anything-he's a bit of a Grandad really :lol:, but a good guy. I'd be happy selling it to him, i just don't know how i'd feel seeing it being driven about when i'm in the rain on my bike :lol:.

There you have it guys! Gutted, but a sense of relief also if you know what i mean. I'm closing alot of old doors. If Groom was about, he'd know what i mean, we had some good chats before he moved further away.

I do feel a bit emotional, as cheesy as it sounds-it's not just the car thats going, it's the good old 480 community spirit-and it's funny too becasue i know that there's some people i'll never meet again-which is a shame. But life goes on! I know i'll never find another close knit forum like this with another Volvo, but i can't keep it just for that. I'll be about for a while anyway...

Dan :cryhard:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

barnsleyGT
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by barnsleyGT » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:20 pm

you'll be missed dan. your enthusiam, obsessive cleaning and tinkering make great reading. the forum will lose one of the main players and a genuinly nice guy.

glad i got to meet you and persil.

best of luck in whatever wheel u decide to get behind next.

later mate

all the gt's (mark claire n amelia)

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Its a real shame Dan. You can pop back on occasionally just to say Hi can't you?

2001 V70

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: My descision to sell the 480...

Post by owen080808 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Dan the 480 Man wrote: Basically, my overdraft has been hanging over my head since i was about 18. It's turned into a bit of a long running joke.

I feel like i'm still in student mode. I work part time, i've got a £1050 overdraft
Tell me about it man, i'm in the same situation, and equally non-plussed about trying to get a job that i want to do. Its a shame to see that you're selling up, i thought about it, but the money i would get would be spent before i know it, and i would be back at square one. But it seems like it has perhaps got to the point where you won't be talked out of it?

On another note, don't hate on the bike, I cycle daily and it's great, in fact i spend significantly more on buying my bikes than i did on my 480 :lol:

Good luck man, i think i speak for everyone when i say don't be a stranger!
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Sad so see you go Dan, I've always liked to chat with you about our cars :cryhard: Would've liked to meet you in person.

Well atleast you'll get one later, no matter what. I just know it :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Curtis480Action
Started learning about 480

Re: My descision to sell the 480...

Post by Curtis480Action » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:13 pm

I know for a fact i'm wasting my time advertising on the forum, hence the slightly abrupt diary thread-i know what everyone on here is like with regards to a 480's worth.
She's a beauty, and you probably will never find a cleaner one :lol:

Hope you get a good price, im sure you will

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 pm

this is a total shock Dan! I read your reasons and i give you permission to leave! :lol: seriously tho, i hope it works out, and maybe you'll find a 480 turbo bargin, sooner rather than later!

hopefully you will pop back on, if for no other reason than to show pic's of your new wheels!

you'll have to hand the OCD cleaning honours down ... perhaps to Roo!? :lol:
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Oh well mate. Gotta do what you gotta do aint you.

Least you got the balls and do something about it. I can relate to some of what your doing and respect it and your respect yourself more for sorting your life out.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm

A tough choice but a wise one by the sounds of it!
You can still go to meets though and if you feel th eneed to take out your cleaning OCD on a 480 then your welcome to borrow mine :)
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

kev
480 Rookie

Post by kev » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 am

Sorry that you are selling your 480 Dan .You will be missed by many
people I know.
Although we only recently met I found you to be a very affable fellow.
Where will I get ideas for my mods?
Every time I polish the car it won`t be the same !
I wish you well and I hope you are successfull in your career.
All the best
Kev
[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/aelhead/480-1.jpg[/img]

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 am

Hi guys.

Thanks for the kind words-it's nice to that some will miss me as i will miss this place. The forum is a big part of my free time-it's just as much of a hobby as the car is. I don't post many useful things, but i like to participate!

I don't know if my next car will be as clean as it will probably be bigger...will i have the enthusiasm to clean it? I think i already know the answer to that one :lol:

It's not been an easy descision-i took Shaneeka's Clio out last night to pop to Asda, and it was ok. But it didn't take long to hit home-i missed the turbo whistle, i missed bobbling along because the ride was too low, i missed the Momo, i missed the bloody stereo-i missed the way the ECU mod throws you back in the seat. I miss the whole bloody thing! But i know i have to do this, so as much as it pains me, i stil have to go through with it...

I've just had confirmation from my friend-he's had an insurance quote for the car that he's happy with. He just want's to take it for a test drive when the clutch is done-but other than that, the car has been provisionally sold. I'll get the clutch done, spend a day running it to make sure it's ok, then it'll go. Stuck £30 petrol in the day it broke down too! :x

Gutted. :(
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

ForZe
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ForZe » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 am

Good luck with selling the car and that, its a shame they make driving a car that expensive :angry:
White 480 Turbo '91, full leather, white blinkers, daily driver.

rgreenhalf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by rgreenhalf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:03 pm

Sorry to hear and read this Dan, from the brief time we've met I know youll be missed by myself and the others on the Forum!

Im sure youll always be scouring ebay for the ever ellusive cheap turbo to get!

Ross
1998 Nissan 200SX - RWD / 260 BHP :)
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1994 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1990 Volvo 480 ES - Broken

JayTee
480 Expert

Post by JayTee » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 pm

its the end of an era Dan ;) but I reckon you'll love the T4

Good luck and happy motoring to you all
There's a bit of 480 in all of us

http://img46.photobucket.com/albums/v140/JayTee7774/

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:23 pm

All the best Dan..... ;)
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

Anton_K
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Anton_K » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Take care, always liked to read your "reportages"!
And, keep that enthusiam :D

regards,
Anton

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:54 am

Sad news indeed.....

Good luck with whatever your new wheels turn out to be

All the best mate

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Keep in touch man!

Oh yeah,we already are;-)

Hope UPW goes to as equally a hygenic homeus.

:hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:34 am

Fair play to you mate for grabbing the bull by the horns to sort your shit out.

My advice should you decide to take it or not is remember the T before the number (T4, T5, T6) means trouble and expense. Dragon had the T%r and it cost alot, I have the T5 and every little thing that goes costs min £150 and Laserowl has the daddy of a money eater the T6. I don't want to put and one of the T series i am just warning you. They are as reliable as old boot until they go wrong and then it will eat your money, overdraft and credit cards. Never mind the fact that tyres disappear like billio.

Hope that your chosen path will lead you to enlightenment and let the volvo spirit guide you there.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 am

Hi Dan, I was really susprised when I read your post on this. Having read your reasons for following the path you have set I can sympathise and I really respect your decision. Your friend is going to get a lovely car! :D
And you'll feel a bit more free than before.

It was really lovely to have met you at the meet earlier this year, and remember just because there is no 480 doesn't mean you can't come to a meet! You could always borrow your dad's car. :)

Something about this year has seemed like a time of change and renewal for me, maybe it has been for you too.
At the end of the day as lovely (and clean) as the 480 is it is just a car. I've been paying a bit less attention to mine as, like you, my real priorities in life come to the fore. I'm sure you are making the right decision.

What else can I say but wish you all the luck in the world in achieving your aims and reaching your goals, and being happy.

Don't be a stranger- hope to see you on here now and then! Because it would be a shame if this forum lost such a positive and good-natured guy.

Rohan :D