The Final Insult

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

default_user
Knows where Volvo is from

It's over now.

Post by default_user » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:33 pm

It didn't have any problems I couldn't have fixed myself apart from the welding. I just didn't want to. I got to the point where I hated it. It was a bitch. It disappointed me. It cost me too much money. It got me down. I'm glad it's gone.

Yes, I'm too honest. But that makes me a good person to know and be friends with and I wouldn't change that.

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Re: It's over now.

Post by Brasco » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:48 pm

default_user wrote:Yes, I'm too honest. But that makes me a good person to know and be friends with and I wouldn't change that.
Not if you're female:-

"Yes, your bum looks huge in that"

"I'd say you were average at best"

"No, your hair looks embarrassing, I'd go and punch the hairdresser"

etc. and so on....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Replacement...

Post by chris1roll » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:32 pm

default_user wrote:... Focus Diesel Sport. It's faster, handles better,
:rofl: :rofl:

Dude, your 480 must have been fooked!
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Murf

Post by Murf » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Dude, your 480 must have been fooked!
Prob not, think of the advances in technology since the 480 was designed and the focus was designed!
Plus, i hate to say it, modern diesels are pretty torquey and some are fast as fook!

I still wouldnt swap though!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 am

So how come they are always on the wrong side of the road on bends and/or in my bloody way then! ;)
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

default_user

It's the drivers!

Post by default_user » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 am

So how come they are always on the wrong side of the road on bends and/or in my bloody way then!
It's not the fault of the car if it's being driven by a complete duffer! Normal Focus diesels are really family cars driven by people who think 40mph is too fast but the diesel sport is a different beast entirely. Ford didn't make many and it's a bit of a sleeper. Admittedly, in a straight line it's not blistering (but neither is the 480 unless it's a turbo) but the handling means it goes round corners like it's on rails so you can really chuck it around and the brakes are way better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so down on the 480 that I'm just going to criticise it for spite. I can believe that a properly sorted 480 (especially with a Richmod) really is a lot of fun and there were times I really did enjoy driving it (such as on the motorway at respectable speed) but unfortunately my owning/driving experience has been coloured by the one I owned. There was nothing wrong with the engine and it pulled very well. I was happy to hammer it in a straight line but it didn't inspire confidence in the bends at all, even after I renewed the front springs. It suffered from terrible oversteer and rolled like a Weeble (anyone old enough to remember them?) into and out of the corners.

I'm still smitten by the 480s looks. I really have admired it for a long time and still think the design is great. It attracts attention from other drivers and that's always a bit of an ego boost. The Focus is just another car in comparison and people don't notice because there's loads of them. I don't care about that though. I'm not looking at the car when I'm inside it, just driving it, and the Focus is an enjoyable and rewarding car to drive.

Had money/space been no object I would have had all the work needed done professionally and kept it as a toy for nice days. However, my situation meant that I had to let it go for all the reasons previously stated. I can now relax and not worry about what's going to be needed to be done next, take my time with my other projects and I'm happier for that.[/quote]

Drazyl

Re: It's the drivers!

Post by Drazyl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:03 pm

default_user wrote: Admittedly, in a straight line it's not blistering (but neither is the 480 unless it's a turbo) but the handling means it goes round corners like it's on rails so you can really chuck it around and the brakes are way better.
I've never driven a Focus, and I wouldn't argue about the brakes at the moment (maybe after the EBC's have been fitted, but certainly not now), but my 480 corners on rails, and the faster I push it around a corner the better it seems to handle it. In a straight line it can be a bit 'interesting', but on country roads it eats them alive and leaves other cars in the dust. Compared to a Volvo V50 it's just a much more lively car (the V50 made me feel like falling asleep, although I also felt that if I did the car would still get me home...).
SAAB 9-3 2.0t
(Previously) [b]1994 480 GT[/b] - Metallic Green...

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun May 20, 2007 11:58 pm

benmagoo wrote:See what you have missed there is the timing.

5 years down the line these will start fetching money again.
I'm not sure about that. In 5 years all but about 10 480s will have rusted away to nothing. Plus in 5 years it's unlikely that the parts to keep them going will be available. There aren't enough of them about for the non OEM parts manufacturers to make parts, and Volvo have stopped. The only parts left are those in stock, I have no idea how long they will last.

The prices of parts seem to be going down, as Volvo try to clear the stock (I guess).

I think the issues these cars have are more than enough to put most people off. I sort of hope you are right, but it doesn't seem all that likely at the moment. I would be very happy to be proved wrong BTW.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Well, year by year the good maintained ones are seperated from the poorly maintained ones. Decent servicing is what makes or breaks a 480 in my opinion. And there is still some good material around. There aren't so many P1800 on the roads as well, but it remain possible for those cars to obtain spare parts. So as soon as the group of caring drivers is big enough to make it attractive to produce the required parts they will be produced.

That's what I sincerely hope 8)
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm

coyote1980 wrote: There aren't so many P1800 on the roads as well, but it remain possible for those cars to obtain spare parts.
Bear in mind that the P1800 was given extra status by being The Saint's car, a good coupe will still only set you back £3.5K... that's not a lot. It's a gorgeous looking car, so there has to be some reason that people aren't prepared to spend more getting one. :?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 am

Well, for the 480 the following is true: when you've bought yours cheap, and your arches start to go, it's cheaper to scrap it and buy another one without rotten arches. This too will become harder over the years.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Tue May 22, 2007 8:05 am

rpruen wrote: In 5 years all but about 10 480s will have rusted away to nothing. Plus in 5 years it's unlikely that the parts to keep them going will be available. There aren't enough of them about for the non OEM parts manufacturers to make parts, and Volvo have stopped. The only parts left are those in stock, I have no idea how long they will last.

The prices of parts seem to be going down, as Volvo try to clear the stock (I guess).

Richard
If you are right, then it is high time we all stopped giving away parts specific to the 480 for peanuts on Ebay (within the forum this is entirely acceptable ;) ).

This is why I just asked someone for £35 for a single Taurus wheel, rather than the £20 I asked sometime last year. There really are not many of these parts around, and I think we shouldn't throw them away for beer money really, unless we are confident that we can get replacements. If we value our cars and parts more, eventually this may work in our favour.

I think anyone thinking about keeping a 480 for the long term should hold on to parts they may have.

And if you are feeling flush, perhaps this is a good time to get down to the dealers and bag things like rear clusters and clear front lights!