Update on the 480 track day car

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

98kellrs
480 Expert

Update on the 480 track day car

Post by 98kellrs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Finally managed to de-cat the car using the pipe supplied by Trevor. Fitted like a charm, needed a new gasket as the previous one was corroded badly and miss-shapen. The exhaust is now composed solely of a powerflow mid system silencer exiting just infront of the rear LH side and is nearly 100% stainless steel. Unfortunately the lamba sensor had to be disconnected, so i'll need to monitor the engine for a bit to check everything is ok.

Overall I'm really happy with it, noise is a bit OTT, but that's my own fault for removing the back box. I've driven it twice since the operation and I can't feel any loss of power. I think power is a little reduced in low revs due to back pressure loss but that'll soon go when I get the turbo engine transplanted over summer. The idle is constant and steady so far, so overall i'm a happy bunny! :hopping:

(P.s I'll try and get some pics tonight :D )
Ryan.

1992 480 ES, 110k, Paris blue, custom SS side-exit exhaust, De-catted, custom fibreglass lightweight bonnet, custom fibreglass front spoiler, stripped interior, Slate Black textured metal paint throughout, Cobra Imola S drivers Seat, Ricco 4 point 3 inch harness, Magnecor KV85 leads.

Current Status: A very impressive track car. :-D

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Finally got some pics done :D

Ryan.

1992 480 ES, 110k, Paris blue, custom SS side-exit exhaust, De-catted, custom fibreglass lightweight bonnet, custom fibreglass front spoiler, stripped interior, Slate Black textured metal paint throughout, Cobra Imola S drivers Seat, Ricco 4 point 3 inch harness, Magnecor KV85 leads.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Is that URL on your doors a sponsor? Looks like they haven't been paying their bills :lol:

Does look good though :)

2001 V70

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 pm

haha nooo I wish i had a sponsor! I did the Student Gumball Rally last September and covered the car with decals for that. It's for my mates blues/rock band. They're currently being jetted round canada by their record company playing gigs everywhere, and america in summer! Im sooooo jealous!

Cheers, whilst i know most of you will hate what i've done to the car, i've tried to keep her as normal looking on the outside as possible to preserve the beauty of the 480's!
Ryan.

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:48 am

Cool! Looks really good so far.

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:02 am

I think that's quite an interesting set of mods, original in concept.
:D

Rohan

Ral
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Ral » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:20 am

I like it, it looks good. But that may be my soft spot for blue :)

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Me too matey!

I think the front splitter is growing on me.

Door decals may not work in PC form but do look great on the doors.

Yeah,I like the mutha!

:hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:03 pm

Thanks guys! Wasn't expecting such a good response considering this is my first ever project car! The said door URL's are unfortunately coming off, as the band have now changed to a .COM website and mine say .NET :angry: ! Gah!

I dont really have any other exterior mods in mind, except for some 16x8 compomotives if I can ever find the spare cash, so i'm glad you all like her. Hopefully one day i'll manage to get myself along to a meet and see the faces behind all these names! :D
Ryan.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:45 pm

It's very Blinky looking :D !

Here's some more ideas.

Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:06 pm

oo looks like a good job, I'm gunna have to wait untill the turbo conversion first though before I worry about induction too much, i've been umm'ing and ahh'ing over it for some time trying to figure out what's the best way to do it!
Ryan.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Is that bracket mounting the air filter a suspension mount from an old radio controlled car by any chance?!

pol

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm

UPDATE: After hearing some odd sounds and rattles from the exhaust I crawled under and found that both ends of the de-cat were blowing badly. :angry:

Been in to town today though and bought some silicone gasket sealant and i've applied lots of that in the vain hope that it'll work cure the problem! Just gotta wait 24 hours now to test it properly :cryhard: (Although this has given me time to paint the footwells and the insides of the doors that i've been meaning to do for weeks! :D )
Ryan.

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Looking great :)

Love track sl@gs :hopping:
Make: Renault : Model:Clio t : Year: 1993 : Colour: Blue Met.. : Engine: 1721cc

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Ps: keep me up to date, i have always wanted to build a track car!

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 pm

hehe Cheers Dave!

Well the gasket sealant went off, and has cured the blowing exhaust, however there is still a really loud rattle in the exhaust, which unfortunately means the silencer is bust, sounds like some of the baffling is loose and is rattling around. Only happens at high revs, but causes the silencer to knock against the car body which is right under my arse!

Considering its a "Longlife" silencer it's only lasted a year and a half!! :angry: . Imma gunna have a rant at the exhaust people tomorrow and get them to replace it before I go back to uni on Saturday morning!
Ryan.

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 pm

98kellrs wrote:hehe Cheers Dave!

Well the gasket sealant went off, and has cured the blowing exhaust, however there is still a really loud rattle in the exhaust, which unfortunately means the silencer is bust, sounds like some of the baffling is loose and is rattling around. Only happens at high revs, but causes the silencer to knock against the car body which is right under my arse!

Considering its a "Longlife" silencer it's only lasted a year and a half!! :angry: . Imma gunna have a rant at the exhaust people tomorrow and get them to replace it before I go back to uni on Saturday morning!
'Longlife' eh, get down there and get ranting!!

Still more that can coem out that interior though ;)

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 pm

life time on a longlife exhuast (if on same car)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:14 pm

dave wrote:Still more that can come out that interior though ;)
Haha besides the headlining, the passenger seat, and chopping off half of the dash i'm getting stuck for ideas! I would have taken the headlining out ages ago but that'd leave me issues with the sunroof switch, and the interior lights, and sun visors etc..
martinholmesuk wrote: life time on a longlife exhuast
Unfortunately not on this one! Although to be fair I have given it a tough time! Not that i'll tell the garage what i've been doing with the car... :wink:
Ryan.

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:02 pm

98kellrs wrote:
dave wrote:Still more that can come out that interior though ;)
Haha besides the headlining, the passenger seat, and chopping off half of the dash i'm getting stuck for ideas! I would have taken the headlining out ages ago but that'd leave me issues with the sunroof switch, and the interior lights, and sun visors etc..
martinholmesuk wrote: life time on a longlife exhuast
Unfortunately not on this one! Although to be fair I have given it a tough time! Not that i'll tell the garage what i've been doing with the car... :wink:
Sunroof out, plastic panel in place, bin headlining and visors, lights etc.

Cut off parts of dash

Happy days ;)

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)