removing inner trim to check leaks in roof

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Spacemonkey
Knows where Volvo is from

removing inner trim to check leaks in roof

Post by Spacemonkey » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:59 pm

I imagine this is for the VolvoFox!!<br>How do I go about removing the trim inside the back to check for the roof leaks that you mention? It must be the right hand side I think.. <p></p><i></i>

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Re: removing inner trim to check leaks in roof

Post by volvofox » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:23 am

Hi, <br>Yes, its a long lime ago, Hmm lets see, <br>Take out the back mat(dry the sponge!), the inner lid over the rearlight, the lid of the righthand side storage box (was there a screw inside ?) lossen all screws you see. test with a slow, easy pull if, and where it is fixed.(I don't know anymore where exact the screws were)<br><br>Open the back, remove the backwindow rubber a bit, and slowly remove the inner trim over the C-beam, the steel part between the last window and the backwindow, going up to the roof.I think it was pushed in "clicks" .Now put the rubber in place whitout the trim.<br><br>I am not sure anymore, It is not nescesary to remove the whole side panel, you can have a good look with a flashlight behind it, if it is loose from the rear.<br><br>With a full running garden hose on the roof <br><br>I saw a tiny water stream inside the car, allong the C-beam (is this english ?), In this case no way from the backwindow, or rearlights(seal them first)<br><br>For the owners of a water cooled seat belt, try the same with the B-Beam <br><br>In my case it leaked at the righthand side too. <br>I guess Ahmed has forgotten to seal with sillecone there....(no offence)<br><br>The roof plate is put in rubber I think, not welded. Glue the rubber in which it is mount, to the roofplate with silecone.<br>(push the plastic shield between roof and backwindow VERY GENTLY inside and forward(or was it backward?), with door and hatch open.)It slides out of plastic hooks.<br><br>My car is ever since as dry as saddam's backyard in summer <br><br>I advise everyone to try this and finally get rid of the water problem, as it is only good for corrosion in the steel, and the electics.Windows get to easyly dampened, and moist is bad for your health, and the car int.cannot realy get warm.etc.<br><br>Be easy with the plastic.<br><br>Luck<br><br>JPF <p></p><i></i>

Spacemonkey
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Spacemonkey » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:03 pm

Thanks mate. Do you mean that I have to remove the plastic panel on the OUTSIDE between the window and roof? It is already loose I think ao I was going to to replace the plastic clips. <p></p><i></i>

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:20 pm

Hi, <br>Yep, the outside ones , remove, so you can glue the whole roof rubber from the front uptil the back, and get an impression what you are doing.<br><br>That they are loose a bit I am used to.May be glue them a bit with silecon from the inside (big dot of silecon on the inside)<br><br>Be gentle with the "roofwings" as they are fragile, and hard to replace (same worn colour?)<br><br>Sorry, explanation is not my best skill<br><br>Luck<br><br>frgr JPF<br> <p></p><i></i>