A spare need is friend indeed.

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Tripper
Knows where Volvo is from

A spare need is friend indeed.

Post by Tripper » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:06 am

Fast asleep, nudge in the ribs, then another. Wake up, groggy to wife moaning in serious pain. 4.15 a.m.
( Has to be bad as she refuses pain killer at the dentist.) Scramble into 480 and make seriously illegal haste to hospital.
Don’t ask as I don’t know, but somehow the heavy door swung back and banged my elbow so dropped keys. Heard the chink, then the plonk. Water. They’d fallen through a grill into a big sump. Left unlocked 480, no time, get wife into ER. Taken immediately as bleeding from lady bits. Great medic’s. Didn’t think at all of 480 till around 8 a.m. when she’d been stabilised. Was told to bugger off, they’d phone when to come back. Thinks, “no keys,” down the drain. No worries. Phoned best mate to whom I’d given a complete set of all, who turned up pronto. Relief as I could use the car and unlock the house. Motto is: always keep duplicates unmarked and elsewhere as you never know when you’ll need them. It costs a bloody fortune, not to mention the inconvenience to call out the locksmiths and trying to get a new key for a 480 on a Saturday is a nightmare. As of writing, car and me back home, dog and cat fed, wallet in tact waiting for the call to go back to my wife. Monday will get two sets of everything keys and give to my pal for safekeeping. Afterthought was how I’d have fared had my mate been away, so will give another set to wife’s sister.

Tripper

Post by Tripper » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:41 am

Have sponged the front passenger seat with cold water to remove blood stains. Have removed most, but there are two bits proving obstinate. Being Volvo, there are are bound to be problems using usual household cleaners. Any suggestions? The seats are still damp, so is it best to let the stains dry then spray with something? Bit muddled at the moment.

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Tripper, hope all goes well with your wife, and that you can get her home soon!

I am sometimes standing over a drain locking/unlocking my car and sometimes it crosses my mind: 'how bad it would be if I were to drop my keys in there'...

Luckily this has never happened. I am also very careful when I'm putting things like groceries in the back of my car (having unlocked only the tailgate, and not the doors...). It would be extremely bad if I were to drop my keys inside and shut the tailgate :wink:

I have an extra set of keys at home, might be a good idea to drop off an extra set at my brothers house (you never know what it's good for)...

O yeah, drains are filtered here in Holland, it might be worth checking the sewage company if they retrieve your keys, or they might be able to tell you how long it would take for the keys to arrive at a filter station. Just an idea...
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

clubman_dan
480 Rookie

Post by clubman_dan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:11 pm

sorry to hear that your wife is in hospital, i hope she is ok.
its definatley a good idea leaving a key with a friend or family member, i had never thought of that before, might have to give a set to my girlfriends parents.
Dan
'05 Skoda Fabia Vrs- diesel power baby!
'91 turbo oyster grey- full leather, momo wheel, aircon- SOLD
'94 turbo, metallic black- Scrapped
'95 2.0 es SOLD!
'86 mini 1380 rather fast!!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,clubman-unl-dan,white,black.png[/img][/url]

Sophie
480 Is my middle name

Post by Sophie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:37 pm

clubman_dan wrote:sorry to hear that your wife is in hospital, i hope she is ok.
its definatley a good idea leaving a key with a friend or family member, i had never thought of that before, might have to give a set to my girlfriends parents.
Dan
Wouldn't dare give my boyfriends parents a key, they'd lose it or wouldn't answer the phone if I called...If I gave one to the boyfriend, I'd never see the 480...

Hope your wife gets better soon Tripper !
480 Turbo > 1989 Graphite Grey
MR2 MK1 > 1989...
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/cosworth/la_team-bordelaise/Sophie.gif[/img]

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Hello,

Hope your mrs is well soon.

Martin
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Tripper

Post by Tripper » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks for the replies. All is good again with the boss back at home.
Attacked the little bloodstains on the seat with diluted bleach and a toothbrush and tissue paper. Looks fine.
Cheers from NZ.