Steering wheel

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Joey
Started learning about 480

Steering wheel

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:32 am

How easy is it to remove and replace the steering wheel? <br><br>I would like to replace mine (as it's showing signs of age and is going really smooth) with a leather one from another 480.<br><br>Can anyone offer me some simple steps/hints/tips? <p></p><i></i>

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

re:Steering wheel

Post by gerrsvolvo » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:07 am

It depends of th equestion of having a airbag or not.<br>Without aibag it is a straight forward action.<br>- remove hornpad<br>- now you see the nut that holds the streeing wheel<br>- remove nut<br>- remove steering wheel by pulling it up<br>- replacve steeringwhee<br>- replace and thighten nut<br>- replace hornpad.<br>With an airbag dont even start doing it yourself.<br>Unless you air an expert and have the right tools.<br><br>goodluck<br>Gerrsvolvo<br> <p></p><i></i>

Master-480
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: re:Steering wheel

Post by Master-480 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:08 pm

It's no problem even if it has an airbag. You don't have to be an expert on airbags... The new Haynes Manual (printed 2000) tells you exactly how to do it... <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Real power and Turbo-shit</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><!--EZCODE BR START--><br /><!--EZCODE BR END--><br><br><br></p><i></i>

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

re:Steering wheel

Post by gerrsvolvo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:10 am

My Haynesmanual is from fore 2000.<br>So I did not know that it is mentioned in teh new Haynesmanual<br>Save Kilometers<br>Gerrsvolvo <p></p><i></i>

dan
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: re:Steering wheel

Post by dan » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:09 am

Whilst trying to remove a stubborn torx screw from a seat l was hoping to fit, l'd managed to hacksaw about halfway through before a helpful friend decided that belting the screw head repeatedly with a piece of seatbelt fastener...and strange cannister like handle would speed things along.<br><br>The explosive gas belt retractor blew his hand clean off...<br><br>In an alternate reality this would have happened. I thought l'd investigate Haynes manual regarding the strange cylinder. Which says something like don't even look at this thing or it'll have you. Fortunately for my friend the scrappers who had removed the seat from the donor car had already set it off and it was inert. <p></p><i></i>