Door panels creaking??

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

cslogg
480 Newbie

Door panels creaking??

Post by cslogg » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:58 am

I have recently purchased a 1989 480 and have managed to put right nearly all the little faults that came with it apart from this one.The is a horrible sound of creaking which appears to be coming from both door panels.This starts up as soon as I am on the move.Most of the time this sound is louder then the engine. A few days ago I tried to get one of the panels off but only managed to break a couple of fixings.As a complete novice when it comes to cars I stopped,fearful I would do more damage and have to go cap in hand to a Volvo dealer for them to sort it out and I dont think I can afford it.Can anyone help.<br><br>Thanks<br>goods.in@ffei.co.uk <p></p><i></i>

Bally Atwal
480 Newbie

Door panels creaking??

Post by Bally Atwal » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:03 pm

I had exactly the same problem with the driver side panel. I discovered the creaking was due to the bottom of the door trim rubbing against the door frame.<br><br>You will notice three protrusions along the bottom of the trim. I simply pushed the center one in very slightly (the culprit), to stop the creaking. Removing the door trim is not too difficult the trickiest part is removing the remote handle, do this first and the rest is straight forward. I hope this helps. <p></p><i></i>