Power Steering Hoses

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Landa
480 Newbie

Power Steering Hoses

Post by Landa » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:19 pm

Afternoon all,

My Daily driver is a UK 1992 1.7L Non-Turbo Limited Edition.

My power steering started groaning and I found the reservoir was low.
I've topped it up but the root cause is a worn power steering pump.

I removed the alternator and managed to get the high pressure union loose (pig of a job!), but the pipe is corroded and I decided to put everything back together until I have a good set of pipes in my hand ready for a swap.

Pumps are available but I been unable to locate any hoses.

Can anyone help please?

Kind regards,

Chris
'92 1.7L Limited Ed - Daily driver
'93 2.0L Limited Ed - resto project
'74 Stag - Made out of rust
'64 Mini - looooooong term project
'63 Landrover - 11mpg!!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Power Steering Hoses

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

Chris

I sourced the FLEXIBLE sections from 'Hydraulic mega store', about £25 for the flexible and then similar for various fittings

they also supply steel tube and all the fittings, all at reasonable price, if you are OK to DIY :wink:

I had planned to fit these to some RIGID STAINLESS pipe a friend had bent to size, but bottled out when I wasn't convinced I had properly made off the compression fitting onto the SS pipe :-(

eventually I found a decent old PRESSURE line but replaced the return line with 'COHLINE' and a short section of RIGID actually 're-worked' from a C30!!! in my case the return line was MUCH worse than the supply.

I assume that you don't have Air-Con, so different fitting at the top end (3/8" OD) AND the early racks used an additional part vs the later version.

Early racks used a M16 fitting to compression (I think 10mm) but the later units use a 'push-fit' into the alloy of the rack and the fitting just 'holds it in' , there is a diddy O-ring fitted onto the tube, (preformed) and easily lost!!!

AFAIK the fitting at the rack is M16 and the fitting for the pump (with Air Con) is a '16mm Banjo', I'll revert with the details of the early pump if nobody else does.
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Landa
480 Newbie

Post by Landa » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

Hi Alan

Really appreciate your advice on this.

I’ll have a look on the hydraulic superstore.

On mine, the metal pipe is corroded as it goes into the top of the pump. Not sure of the thread but the fitting is 17mm AF. I assume this is the pressure line as the other one is rubber hose with a crimp.

Did you have to flare the stainless steel pipe? I have brake pipe flaring tools but nothing larger.

I haven’t seen the steering rack fittings yet, as I was expecting to replace the alternator not find a worn pas pump, so wasn’t prepared.

If anyone has a hose for sale that would be my preferred route and then I would use the old one to use as a guide to make up a DIY hose as a spare for a rainy day.

Cheers

Chris
'63 Landrover - 11mpg!!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

Landa wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

On mine, the metal pipe is corroded as it goes into the top of the pump. Not sure of the thread but the fitting is 17mm AF. I assume this is the pressure line as the other one is rubber hose with a crimp.

Did you have to flare the stainless steel pipe? I have brake pipe flaring tools but nothing larger.

I haven’t seen the steering rack fittings yet, as I was expecting to replace the alternator not find a worn pas pump, so wasn’t prepared.
Yes pressure fitting is on top of the pump, and the pipe does an 'abrupt' U turn from up to down? on those with Air-Con it leaves horizontally from the banjo.

for fitting onto the steel pipes then it uses a compression fitting and olive(s) similar to 10, 15 or 22mm domestic plumbing, SS uses an olive and a wee second backing ring as the SS is 'ruddy hard'

I did some looking and there are 'DIY' inserts for hyadraulic pipes, but the cost of the flexible was 'buttons' and the comfort that it would be 'tight' :wink:

I specced a hydraulic hose with banjo one end and a 3/8" fitting at opposite end so that I could then fit a 3/8" to 10mm compression fitting

(my part number ZZ00020482, and was £25 inc VAT

3/8" 2SC Hose, 1.20m O/A,

16mm Banjo, top end
3/8" BSP Straight Female BSPP Male Stud Fitting- 60 °cone bottom end

FI-GE-10LR3/8-DF-W3-MS L Series 10mm Tube to 3/8" only £2.50 , but the special SS ferrules/olives were £4.50 EACH :( so stick with normal steel pipes!

this latter bit allowed me to connect to the rigid pipe under the engine.

I cant recall if the 'existing' fitting for the non AC car could be removed and you could screw in a banjo fitting, saves making up a pipe at the 'top-end'

I'll have a look at the spare pump on Tuesday?
Alan

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm

I checked the pump I have here and it is M16 thread so an option is to convert from rigid-flexible-rigid to flexible-rigid.

With banjo at pump if you can arrange the flexible to go horizontal towards battery and then down under sump, or a right angle fitting, make sure it is the style that 'spins' to allow any orientation!

If opt for banjo then the standard Volvo banjo is too short for the fitting on end of hose, different supplier will use various sizes and the Volvo Banjo was thinner than new one

If doing so you will probably need a crows foot adapter to slacken fitting at rack, I could get a spanner onto it but not enough leverage to slacken, not VERY tight just the initial locked?

Hope this helps?
Alan

Landa
480 Newbie

Post by Landa » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:26 pm

Hi Alan

Really appreciate your help on this.

I've never thought of a custom hose and never been to the megastore. I found it fascinating!

I spent about an hour on it tonight but not quite sure exactly what I need yet. I'm at home with copper plumbing fittings but these are new to me, and as the car is 25mins away I have to wait to the weekend to have a look.

So I think what you are suggesting is the following

Pump end:
16mm banjo bolt
(Do these need copper compression washers like sump plugs?)

Hose
2SC hose type 3/8" I/D 1200mm length
16mm banjo fitting at the pump end
3/8" female at the rack end

Rack end
3/8" male to 10mm male adapter

I'll have a better look at the weekend and see if it all makes sense

Thanks again

Chris
'63 Landrover - 11mpg!!!

Landa
480 Newbie

Post by Landa » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:33 pm

Just read this again and maybe I've misunderstood something.

I thought the 10mm thread was to go directlu into the rack.

Now I'm wondering the the rack has permanent 10mm steel pipes which I will need to use a compression joint to join onto the hose, hence a 3/8 hose end to a 3/8-10mm thread adapter which is one half of the compression joint.
'63 Landrover - 11mpg!!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:03 pm

Landa wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:33 pm
Just read this again and maybe I've misunderstood something.

I thought the 10mm thread was to go directlu into the rack.

Now I'm wondering the the rack has permanent 10mm steel pipes which I will need to use a compression joint to join onto the hose, hence a 3/8 hose end to a 3/8-10mm thread adapter which is one half of the compression joint.
yes you need to convert from the hose end to 'steel pipe' hence this part
FI-GE-10LR3/8-DF-W3-MS L Series 10mm Tube to 3/8" only £2.50
I'll need to check which has the MALE , BSPP Stud Fitting- 60 °cone

You will need a LONG banjo bolt and a pair of 'copper washers'
AND some steel pipe.
best you see what the rack end looks like FIRST as the existing steel pipes might be jiggered :(
and the fittings are different old to new
I can take a photo of what the OLD rack fitting looked like, not so easy with the new style as it's on the car :wink:
Alan