Help/Advice needed!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AdamG
480 Newbie

Help/Advice needed!

Post by AdamG » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 pm

Hi there,

I’ve been having a problem with my car over the past couple of days. I’ve noticed some Rev hanging during gear changes. This comes a couple of days after putting fresh coolant in my car (it was empty), and now every time I change gear the revs are significantly slower to go down than prior to this. I used to be able to shift fast and drive the car with haste, however now I’m really struggling to build speed. To give some context, on the same day this occurred, I noticed my Speedo has now stopped working. Also, I have a severe rupture on my exhaust at the right angled spot towards the back of the car, and wondered whether this may be playing a part in it. Any advice/help is hugely appreciated, and before typing anything please be aware that I am extremely new to actually working on cars and thus my knowledge is limited.

Thank you in advance,

Adam :)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Re: Help/Advice needed!

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:46 pm

With these cars being a traditional throttle cable, the most common cause for hanging revs between gearchanges is a binding cable.

The easiest answer is simply buy a new cable - but I appreciate that's easier said than done in the world of 480 parts.

I have had mixed results with lubricating cables. I cut a finger off a laytex glove and zip tie the cut finger to the cable outer. I then fill the glove with oil overnight and let it gravity bleed down the cable...

Sometimes they are beyond lubricating because the inner nylon core wears away and the cable frays.

Or its another reason to cause a bind, such as a partially seized throttle butterfly spindle, broken throttle body return spring or even a stray carpet or floor mat!

If it is that, it shouldn't need test driving, it will do it when parked, at idle, just blipping the throttle.

I think the other matters, such as an inoperative speedo and a blowing exhaust are merely coincidence; the speedo being a 480 trait well documented on here.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

AdamG
480 Newbie

Post by AdamG » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:21 pm

Hi!

Thank you for the reply, I had a check of the throttle body and throttle cable today with a more experienced friend of mine and he said they both seem to be in working order. It seems it may not have had coolant in it for some time, and I’m worried that I may have damaged it more than I thought by driving it coolant-less unknowingly!

Adam

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:47 am

You should be OK re the coolant - the car should have warned you if it was getting too hot so as long as you haven't ignored any red light warnings on the info centre....

When I see you we will hopefully get to the bottom of all this :)

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:21 pm

Hey Adam,

Check where the accelerator goes through the blukhead in the engine bay. I know two of my early cars have had the sort of guide tube on the cable break up and cause it to stick. I've sort of bodged it with garden hose and tie-wraps to guide it better but on my current car it sometimes still rears its head now and again.

Does your car have a catalytic converter? I ask because if the leak on the exhaust is before the Lambda (oxygen sensor) it will affect the fuelling as it tries to correct itself for what will appear a weak mixture. If you have no Lambda sensor, you are just making noise but not affecting the fuelling.
[edit: you have a Celebration, so it will have a catalytic converter. Some members have had them break up internally and block the exhaust gasses, with the corresponding major lack of power].

P.S. a lot of those faults seem unrelated!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

AdamG
480 Newbie

Post by AdamG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 pm

At first the speedo seems to only want to drop when I’m accelerating more heavily than usual, but after a while just goes altogether! This all starts as soon as my engine has warmed up and as soon as the Rev hanging starts to occur. This is the only reason I believe they must be linked to each other! The car also won’t stall even when in gear. It will happily roll at 400-1000rpm in ANY gear and not stall. Also an absence of noticeable engine braking. Literally none! I could be at 40mph in second, let off the throttle and it just sloooowly cruises back down. Very slowly lol. I’m beyond confused!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:11 pm

It might be the throttle position switch, mine failed and left the revs at 'fast idle' which is not clever in town when dropping down a gear or 'lifting off'

different models have different switching settings.

I think it is a three position switch, mine was filled with oil from the throttle body, cured by drilling a drain hole .. . .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

AdamG
480 Newbie

Post by AdamG » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:33 pm

Car has stalled twice today when decreasing speed for a set of lights or roundabout etc. Worried about it now!

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:34 pm

Hello, my 480 stalled a few times when the speedo wasn't working. My understanding is that after going to the speedo the signal goes to the car management and without the signal it gets confused then stalls the car. Seems that speedo issues are usually that the cable on the cluster electronics board needs re-seating or there is a dry joint on the board.
Cheers, Richard.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:37 pm

This can be so many things, unfortunately. Throttle Position Sensor faulty or oily; dirty throttle butterfly valve; ICV dirty or faulty; ECU or engine management system related (perhaps not helped by your knackered exhaust); clutch related (thinking about some of your earlier posts); clogged air filter (if so, why?); speedo related (another issue you've mentioned - speed signal goes via speedo to ECU) etc etc...

You're amassing so many problems with this car it's likely that at least some are related. However, it is a 480 so it's always possible they're not, of course.

I think your only answer is a methodical analysis and look at the car and all its issues. I know we're trying to arrange this and hopefully we can manage it sooner rather than later! I'm reluctant in the meantime to throw too many suggestions out there for you.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!