Remap??

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Post Reply
Inne712
480 Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 pm
Location: Skye

Remap??

Post by Inne712 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi anyone know where I can get a remap for the 480 turbo ?year 89
Kr inne

User avatar
MisterH
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Remap??

Post by MisterH » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm

Well I have never heard of a 480 getting remapped as such, however there are 2 main chip modifications, Robou and Richmod.

Now I don't know the precise difference but one gives you insane acceleration the other gives you more power I think. One of them basically restores the spec to what Porsche developed for the turbo before Volvo intervened to bring the power down to "acceptable" levels

dragonflyjewels or Jay-Key-Em will know the answer better than me
Current Jobs to do (13/9/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
New Shocks
Flickering Dash warning lights
Annoying Scratching Squeak

Inne712
480 Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 pm
Location: Skye

Re: Remap??

Post by Inne712 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:17 pm

That's great thanks Any idea how I would get a hold of the robou or Richmond chip? Contact number or email would be great kr inne

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1973
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Remap??

Post by jifflemon » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Sadly both are no longer available.

The people behind the projects are no longer producing new units.

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Remap??

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:25 pm

To see the power difference on the mods, have a look at this thread where I posted rolling road results, comparing standard with richmod and roboumod.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35378&hilit=Lilys+ ... n&start=40

Porsche gave the engine 190bhp, so these mods are well within the tolerance of the strengthening they added to the engine. (Volvo only changed the ecu when they reduced the bhp.)

Sadly neither mod is now available unless you can find a secondhand one.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:37 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:25 pm
To see the power difference on the mods, have a look at this thread where I posted rolling road results, comparing standard with richmod and roboumod.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35378&hilit=Lilys+ ... n&start=40

Porsche gave the engine 190bhp, so these mods are well within the tolerance of the strengthening they added to the engine. (Volvo only changed the ecu when they reduced the bhp.)

Sadly neither mod is now available unless you can find a secondhand one.
Hello everybody!
Can you find out why mods are not available?
is it permanent or temporary?
Because I really want a mod for myself!
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Remap??

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:49 am

The richmods were designed and produced by a genius called Richard. When his health started to fail he passed his knowledge on to Roland who altered the design slightly to make roboumods. Roland is now in his 80s and no longer able to make them. He has not trained anyone.
Unless we can find another automotive electronics wizard, there will be no more mods.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:32 am

I correspond with Roland in the mail, I will try to find out everything from him! I am ready to make these mods, I have knowledge, and I have a friend who has even more knowledge. If everything works out, I'll let you know! if all the same, God forbid, it happens, I think I can restore the data, well then you will need at least 1 working ECU with a mod!
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

User avatar
Jay-Kay-Em
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Huntingdon
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Spainal,

I admire your enthusiasm!

In 2021, I would raise the following two points...

1) Times have changed from the Richmod era 2000-2005. 480's at that time were getting scrapped like disposable paper cups. Every scrap yard in the land had a 440/480 Turbo breaking. The B18FT has some unique engine internals. These are rare and in most cases unobtanium in 2021. Even the 215mm clutch needs a replacement workaround. On that basis, do you still want to push the B18FT to its limits? I point you in the direction of Cranna.... using a more modern engine from the Renault family that should guarantee another 10 years parts availability. That way, if you get BHP greedy and bend a rod, it's no sweat!

2) The B18FT is a rare 2x ECU set-up for fuel (Bosch Jetronic) and boost/ignition (Bosch EZ210K). Why faff about with 30 year old technology? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an "off the shelf" ECU solution (like LINKECU.COM) so you can make you own fuel/ignition/boost map easily and quickly with a laptop and a rolling road? You can then use all modern sensor technology like wide-band O2 sensors, more accurate MAP sensors, variable boost control, data-logging, diagnostics and a multiple map choice dependant on how you feel that day....

Just two things to consider.

I wish you all the best in your strive for more B18FT power.

JKM.

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:58 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi Spainal,

I admire your enthusiasm!

In 2021, I would raise the following two points...

1) Times have changed from the Richmod era 2000-2005. 480's at that time were getting scrapped like disposable paper cups. Every scrap yard in the land had a 440/480 Turbo breaking. The B18FT has some unique engine internals. These are rare and in most cases unobtanium in 2021. Even the 215mm clutch needs a replacement workaround. On that basis, do you still want to push the B18FT to its limits? I point you in the direction of Cranna.... using a more modern engine from the Renault family that should guarantee another 10 years parts availability. That way, if you get BHP greedy and bend a rod, it's no sweat!

2) The B18FT is a rare 2x ECU set-up for fuel (Bosch Jetronic) and boost/ignition (Bosch EZ210K). Why faff about with 30 year old technology? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an "off the shelf" ECU solution (like LINKECU.COM) so you can make you own fuel/ignition/boost map easily and quickly with a laptop and a rolling road? You can then use all modern sensor technology like wide-band O2 sensors, more accurate MAP sensors, variable boost control, data-logging, diagnostics and a multiple map choice dependant on how you feel that day....

Just two things to consider.

I wish you all the best in your strive for more B18FT power.

JKM.
Hi Jay-Kay-Em!
Yes, I agree that you can install a more modern engine and even more modern brakes, well, then the point is in this car? Body? I plan to make a car close to the original, this is a car for the soul, if I want to arrange a race, then I'll take whatever thread is more interesting =) for example, mark 2 or chayzer.It's easy to hunt to make the car go with dignity, and why not do it if possible, well, and help others who want this mod? not everyone has the opportunity to buy something more powerful, my salary in Siberia is 500-600 euros per month, and this is still considered a good salary, you will not receive a drain everywhere, on average everyone gets 250-320 euros, this is about 75% with us So your price is higher for us than for you, and you won't be able to immediately change something for a more expensive one.
Regarding the ECU, I can say that I did not find a cheaper option than our January, it can also be installed with small costs in the B18FT engine, you can also do everything from a laptop, the main question is, do you want to save everything from the factory or make a racing car ? if the racing one, then you are right, you need to redo it, if there is no money, then you need to think to get the most out of the engine and at the same time keep the car as if it were from the factory!
Maybe I'm wrong and I misunderstood something, correct me, as I write and read through a translator.
Didn't understand the word (Cranna .....) what does it mean?
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Remap??

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 am

Haha “Cranna” is the name of one of our members, Fraser, up in Scotland who has a very fast 480 project on the go. You can read about his adventures here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35970
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:46 am

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 am
Haha “Cranna” is the name of one of our members, Fraser, up in Scotland who has a very fast 480 project on the go. You can read about his adventures here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35970
Thanks a lot!
I will read it!
Well, I've already bought another mod for Mod and will send it to Roland for rework!
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

cranna21
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Huntly

Re: Remap??

Post by cranna21 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi Spainal,

I admire your enthusiasm!

In 2021, I would raise the following two points...

1) Times have changed from the Richmod era 2000-2005. 480's at that time were getting scrapped like disposable paper cups. Every scrap yard in the land had a 440/480 Turbo breaking. The B18FT has some unique engine internals. These are rare and in most cases unobtanium in 2021. Even the 215mm clutch needs a replacement workaround. On that basis, do you still want to push the B18FT to its limits? I point you in the direction of Cranna.... using a more modern engine from the Renault family that should guarantee another 10 years parts availability. That way, if you get BHP greedy and bend a rod, it's no sweat!

2) The B18FT is a rare 2x ECU set-up for fuel (Bosch Jetronic) and boost/ignition (Bosch EZ210K). Why faff about with 30 year old technology? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an "off the shelf" ECU solution (like LINKECU.COM) so you can make you own fuel/ignition/boost map easily and quickly with a laptop and a rolling road? You can then use all modern sensor technology like wide-band O2 sensors, more accurate MAP sensors, variable boost control, data-logging, diagnostics and a multiple map choice dependant on how you feel that day....

Just two things to consider.

I wish you all the best in your strive for more B18FT power.

JKM.
an FYI for anyone, clutch fix:

http://clutch-fix.co.uk/

made me an uprated 3 piece clio clutch to run with my clio flywheel, its the same but different dims to a 480, no reason why they wouldn't be able to make a brand new 215mm 480 clutch kit for less than £100 :)
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 208bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'09 S40 D5 Manual R-Design

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:05 am

cranna21 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 am
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi Spainal,

I admire your enthusiasm!

In 2021, I would raise the following two points...

1) Times have changed from the Richmod era 2000-2005. 480's at that time were getting scrapped like disposable paper cups. Every scrap yard in the land had a 440/480 Turbo breaking. The B18FT has some unique engine internals. These are rare and in most cases unobtanium in 2021. Even the 215mm clutch needs a replacement workaround. On that basis, do you still want to push the B18FT to its limits? I point you in the direction of Cranna.... using a more modern engine from the Renault family that should guarantee another 10 years parts availability. That way, if you get BHP greedy and bend a rod, it's no sweat!

2) The B18FT is a rare 2x ECU set-up for fuel (Bosch Jetronic) and boost/ignition (Bosch EZ210K). Why faff about with 30 year old technology? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an "off the shelf" ECU solution (like LINKECU.COM) so you can make you own fuel/ignition/boost map easily and quickly with a laptop and a rolling road? You can then use all modern sensor technology like wide-band O2 sensors, more accurate MAP sensors, variable boost control, data-logging, diagnostics and a multiple map choice dependant on how you feel that day....

Just two things to consider.

I wish you all the best in your strive for more B18FT power.

JKM.
an FYI for anyone, clutch fix:

http://clutch-fix.co.uk/

made me an uprated 3 piece clio clutch to run with my clio flywheel, its the same but different dims to a 480, no reason why they wouldn't be able to make a brand new 215mm 480 clutch kit for less than £100 :)
Hey cranna21
What budget did you spend on the rework? exemplary?
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

cranna21
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Huntly

Re: Remap??

Post by cranna21 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:13 pm

All in my 480 owes me almost £20000

But for the engine and running gear swap, maybe £8500
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 208bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'09 S40 D5 Manual R-Design

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm

cranna21 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:13 pm
All in my 480 owes me almost £20000

But for the engine and running gear swap, maybe £8500
That's a lot!
For such a price you can buy an apartment with 3 rooms from us.
And if you transfer it to my salary, I have to work for almost 7 years, there is nothing not to pay for and nothing to eat =))) For me it is very expensive !!
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

User avatar
MisterH
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Remap??

Post by MisterH » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Spainal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm
cranna21 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:13 pm
All in my 480 owes me almost £20000

But for the engine and running gear swap, maybe £8500
That's a lot!
For such a price you can buy an apartment with 3 rooms from us.
And if you transfer it to my salary, I have to work for almost 7 years, there is nothing not to pay for and nothing to eat =))) For me it is very expensive !!
Wow, I can see now that your own project must be a real dedication for you, I hope things are going well with you :D
Current Jobs to do (13/9/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
New Shocks
Flickering Dash warning lights
Annoying Scratching Squeak

Spainal
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
Contact:

Re: Remap??

Post by Spainal » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 am

MisterH wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 pm
Spainal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm
cranna21 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:13 pm
All in my 480 owes me almost £20000

But for the engine and running gear swap, maybe £8500
That's a lot!
For such a price you can buy an apartment with 3 rooms from us.
And if you transfer it to my salary, I have to work for almost 7 years, there is nothing not to pay for and nothing to eat =))) For me it is very expensive !!
Wow, I can see now that your own project must be a real dedication for you, I hope things are going well with you :D
I work a lot to support the project and the family, sometimes I have to work for several months to buy a part. I work 6 days a week, every day for 12 hours, well, allocate time for the car, right now I am writing and standing in the garage repairing the car. :) that's why I may not succeed well, I strive for everything to work out.
Volvo 480 Turbo!
I was born and live in Siberia! :hopping:

User avatar
MisterH
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Remap??

Post by MisterH » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:59 am

Spainal wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 am
MisterH wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 pm
Spainal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm


That's a lot!
For such a price you can buy an apartment with 3 rooms from us.
And if you transfer it to my salary, I have to work for almost 7 years, there is nothing not to pay for and nothing to eat =))) For me it is very expensive !!
Wow, I can see now that your own project must be a real dedication for you, I hope things are going well with you :D
I work a lot to support the project and the family, sometimes I have to work for several months to buy a part. I work 6 days a week, every day for 12 hours, well, allocate time for the car, right now I am writing and standing in the garage repairing the car. :) that's why I may not succeed well, I strive for everything to work out.
Keep thinking up, you've found the right place for sure!
Current Jobs to do (13/9/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
New Shocks
Flickering Dash warning lights
Annoying Scratching Squeak

cranna21
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Huntly

Re: Remap??

Post by cranna21 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm

it is worth noting that if i was to do it aaallll again, you could maybe almost half the cost i have spent over the years, by being clever and shopping around, biding your time etc etc!

alot of the expense was from when i was less experienced so would pay someone to do work, as I learn I can save money! i have had my car for 7 years now since i was 18 years old, so when i was younger i had no bills, so spent way too much on my car as any stupid young guy does haha, now, things are more reserved as like you say, food is important!
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 208bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'09 S40 D5 Manual R-Design

Post Reply