Celebration ID number

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

C6REW
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Celebration ID number

Post by C6REW » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:18 pm

Hi Knowledgable 480 owners,

I have just bought a 480 Celebration and will be picking up on Friday this week (31/10/03). However, I understand that there where only 480 of these made in the UK and there must be a way of telling which number of the 480 the motor is. Anyone got any idea of how to find out?

This is a 95' Celebration and it is without radio, so anyone with a radio and I will be happy to purchase. It must be the original unit and if the original has a CD player good!

Regards

Chris

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:58 pm

i got a radio (non cd) from a 480turbo 1993 but the led display is not 100%
also has wear around the knob.

If you want it let me know, but would need to have led fixing/cleaning.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

TheXile
Started learning about 480

Celebration

Post by TheXile » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:19 pm

Hi Chris,
Mines a celebration, no. 128 I think.
There should be a metal plaque above the glove box confirming this, and if there isn't, you seriously need to know why not as you'll be paying a premium for the celebration badge.
The celebration came as standard with a philips CD player, which is still working well; so once again where is the one from yours.
I'm only being cautious for you.
Don't forget to check under the front mats for wet carpet.
Hope it goes well for pick up day.
Gedda :shock:
2 Marina Coupe's, 2 Ford Capri's, 1 Austin Maestro, 1 Polo, 1 Volvo 440, 1 Volvo 850, and at last my '95 Celebration.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Re: CELEBRATION ID NUMBER

Post by volvofox » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:20 pm

C6REW wrote:. However, I understand that there where only 480 of these made in the UK

Regards

Chris
all regards chris, I sometimes hope the 480 was UK made, they would probably make em still, like lots of other older cars they still keep making, with little changes. ;)

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

C6REW

CELEBRATION ID NUMBER

Post by C6REW » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:29 pm

Hi Martin,

May be interested and will need to see if led/lights will come up OK. Can you confirm that it has RDS?

Thanks Gedda, that is the info I need, I will check with the owner tomorrow. When you say above the glove box do you mean inside? or on the strip above?

I am aware that the current owner replaced the stereo and speakers with a serious set. The car was broken into (not serious damage) and stereo stolen but speakers which are behind standard Vovlo panels are still there.

Apologies Volvofox, just got back from the worst nightmare of a weekends travelling. On Friday set off at 10:00 and arrived 325 miles away at 22:30. Came back today in 5 1/2 hours. What I meant to say off course was there was only 480 Celebrations sold in the UK.

Regards

Chris

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:03 am

No problem at all...
driving such a dream car must make lots ok again.

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

gerrsvolvo

celebration or collection?

Post by gerrsvolvo » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:27 am

Maybe Daniel can show some lihts on this.
I fear there is a babylonian confusion on teh point of it is a celebration or collection.
I thought it is collection and there are in total 480 build.
As far as I know yhese have teh badge.

Daniel can you help out.
GGerrsvolvo

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:33 am

OK, this is how it was. Near the end of the 480 production period Volvo UK and Volvo Germany both decided they wanted a limited edition, this was done apart from each other. Both countries had a limited set of 480 Volvo 480 produced.

United Kingdom: 480 Celebrations were made, each with a aluminium plate above the dashboard storage compartment I believe. They were only available in the colors Burgundy Red (that's flame red for us continentals), Storm Grey (that's dark grey for us continentals again) and White Satin. As far as I know the car came standard with luggage roller blind and Philips CD Player...

Germany: also a let of 480 limited editions were made, but they were called Collections, also with a aluminium plate on the dash with the number in the range from 1 to 480. There is a lot of discussion about how well equipped a Collection is. Some seem to have not that much accessories. Some don't have TRACS on the ABS for instance, which is pretty awkward for Germany.

So, two series of 480 Volvo 480 were produced. I can say they weren't the last sets of 480 leaving the NedCar factory in Holland, mine is a simple 2-liter and has a higher chassis-number than a Collection...

Hope this all makes it a little more clear.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

C6REW

Post by C6REW » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:36 am

Well done Coyote and many thanks.

I am off this morning to have a look at another Celebration just to confirm the details on the one I have bought. It is the same colour and spec and confirms what you have said.

Still got the red 480 Turbo. Which will I like best?? Shall I keep both? Decisions decisions!!

Chris

C6REW

CELEBRATION

Post by C6REW » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:49 pm

Hi All,

Well I moved things on a bit and have the following information. First of all I stronly suggest no one bothers to go and see the Celebration in Bournemouth for sale currently at £1,695 down from £1,995. In my humble opinion and in the last year I have bought a total of four 480's it has a value under £500.

I have today collected the one I mention above and driven it back from West Midlands. It is very very good.

Both this one and the one in Bournemouth did not and do not have a CD Player. Remember my new one has nothing because the previous owner replaced the radio with a better hi fi which was knicked.

The ID badge is a very removable item much to my suprise and my new one does not have one. I am guessing that the original owner took it as a memento, I would have.

I checked with MRG Volvo in Chippenham giving them the registration and at first they where not sure. The parts guy called Gary said he would check further and called me back on my mobile. He had carried out a HPI check and confirmed it was a Celebration and let me know there was no problems with the car in terms of finance or having being written off. This all for nothing! What service! I am very impressed with that. For our European friends this is a service that costs approximately £50 which checks the history of a vehicle and gives you some legal reprimand if found to be incorrect.

I will keep you informed of the progress of cleaning and sorting out any niggles on another thread. In the meantime I would like the CD player that went in some of these. At the moment I understand they are £320 new and as a Volvo owners club member I get 10% discount. Anyone got one in the loft?

Regards

Chris

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:44 pm

sorry chris no rds i can get a pic if u want.

+ it's free if you want it! (+ p&p :rofl: )
Audi TT

C6REW

RDS RADIO

Post by C6REW » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:05 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that. Let me know how much and I will send. Perhaps I will put it in the turbo which is what was in there before I replaced it with RDS unit.

Regards

Chris

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:14 pm

Hi Chris, I'll find out for you. Pls pm me your address

Martin
Audi TT

JayTee
480 Expert

celebration id

Post by JayTee » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:39 pm

hello c6
mate can i ask did you ask the dealer in chippenham if the plates could be recreated
mine is :badmood: missing too and :cryhard: i kinda want it :
the v5 says celebration the vin plate is accurate according to the vin reader on this site

C6REW

Post by C6REW » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:36 pm

Hi JayTee,

The dealer looked into it and said they could not recreate the plate. However they did confirm that it was a Celebration.

Maybe if we could get a plate from someone it may be possible to get a copy made, have not looked too much into it.

Regards

Chris

JayTee
480 Expert

celebration id

Post by JayTee » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:16 am

:D ah hello mate thanks v much
any body out there who can help ?????
by the way chris congrats on the great purchase
also been away for a bit and would like to say thanks very much for the whiskey and i hope to make it for next years meet
without dog and hope to stay a bit longer