mot changes 2012

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

mot changes 2012

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Some interesting links ...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M ... 202010.pdf see page 8

"2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure. "

from wrecks2riches website

Originally Posted by Vosa

Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of 5 July 2010 adapted Directive 2009/40/EC. Article 2 of Directive 2010/48/EU requires Member States to comply with it by 31 December 2011 at the latest. Annex II and specifically the table at paragraph 4 lists the minimum inspection requirements. We will be working with the Department for Transport and the industry to ensure that we introduce the new Directive requirements in a pragmatic way that satisfies the Commission's intentions. In all cases below the test method is visual and from 1 January 2012 vehicles may fail the MOT test for the following reasons:

Item 4.1.4 deals with the lamp source and lamp compatibility.
Item 6.1.9 deals with Engine Performance and we know how difficult it is going to be to both define and identify "illegal" chipping.
Item 4.11 deals with electrical wiring security and condition
Item 7 deals with safety belts and restraint systems that includes airbag systems missing or malfunction indicator lights illuminated indicating a defect.

There will be consultation on the contents of our Inspection Manual in due course where there will be an opportunity to comment on our proposals.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: mot changes 2012

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 pm

More specifically..

Lifted from another foum

There are to be some changes to the MOT test from 1st January 2012 which are being introduced in response to European Commission Directive 2010/48/EU of the 5th July 2010 and which will effect those with aftermarket HID headlights and remapped ECUs:

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements:
(a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour
(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory):
(a) Device not operating.
(b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory):
Device not operating.

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

(by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring
(a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured.
(b) Wiring deteriorated.
(c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation

and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners:
Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag:
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems:
SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.

Some of the above won't be popular with some around here I know, but VOSA have confirmed that the necessary changes to the MOT test schedule will be introduced and from 1st January 2012 vehicles that fall foul of the new requirements will fail the test.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 pm

"This is a reply from vosa reguarding engine chipping

The EU Directive mandates for testing this item.

The Directive states the following as reasons for change:

In the interests of road-safety, environmental protection and fair competition it is important to ensure that vehicles in operation are properly maintained and tested, in order to maintain their performance as guaranteed by type-approval, without excessive degradation, throughout their life-time.
Standards and methods, as referred to in Art. 6 (1) of Directive 2009/40/EC, should be further defined and adapted to reflect technical progress, in order to improve motor vehicle roadworthiness testing in the European Union in a cost-effective manner.
The findings of two projects, Autofore Autofore study on the Future Options for Roadworthiness Enforcement in the European Union,
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/roadsa...utofore_en.htm and Idelsy IDELSY Initiative for Diagnosis of Electronic Systems in Motor Vehicles for PTI,
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/roadsa.../idelsy_en.htm, which recently dealt with future options for roadworthiness testing, and the outcome of an open and factual dialogue with stakeholders should be taken into account.
The current state of vehicle technology requires modern electronic systems to be included in the list of items to be tested.
In order to achieve further harmonisation of roadworthiness testing, testing methods should be introduced for each of the test items.
To facilitate further harmonisation and for reasons of consistency of standards, a non-exhaustive list of the main reasons for failure, as already exists for braking systems, should now be included for all test items. "

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 pm

and my final word on this for just now....

this one is for the anoraks :rofl:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications ... esting.htm

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: mot changes 2012 SRS

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am

Does this mean that the light must come on for a few seconds and then go out again when ignition turned on?

ours has just come on , maybe related to the steering being mucked about with when rack ball-joints replaced a few weeks ago. dicky wiring?

If it does not need to come on / go out for MoT then I will just pull the bulb!!

tempted to check manual and disable the darn thing??
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I pulled the several bulbs on mine and it passed without comment. :D

Alan would help if you said what bulb it is you are talking :lol:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:39 pm

och b*****r I should have said the SRS light!
the ABS one works fine and I have pulled the wires for the air bag that way it will not go off by accident BUT equally it will no tgo off in an accident!! :( just have to drive more carefully and watch out for idiots in their Volvos with fully insulated (air bag/curtains/ seatbags etc) car interiors :D
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1