heater, brrrrr!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Les Barbeux
480 Newbie

heater, brrrrr!

Post by Les Barbeux » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all,

am new to the "club" although am onto my 3rd 480!

True to form my latest (a 2.0i) has a less than efficient heater!...now that spring is on it's way, I thought that I might try and rectify it....perverse or what!

On previous cars I have flushed the heater matrix to some effect, but not enough effect to be able to say that the heater is good enough to use during a Swedish winter (or did they not take this model home?!).

Does anyone have a "magic" cure?

Regards, Trevor
I'd rather be following my piscatorial pursuits!

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Re: heater, brrrrr!

Post by coyote1980 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Couldn't it just be your thermostat being stuck?
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:53 pm

What temperature does your engine run at ?

1 can check if thermostat is jammed by looking at the temp gauge

2 check and see if the heater matrix is not covered by dried up leaves

3 make sure your coolant system is fully functional

3 does the heater flap actually move when you press the buttons or push the slider.

4 is your heater matrix leaking

5 remember the non scandanavian anti freeze is 33% which is down to -18C so the heater will struggle to keep you toasting hot at -15
(In sweden they use 50% which is ok to -30C )
Its a car not a sauna on wheels although the leaking boot can fool you :rofl:

Oh and this car is Dutch not Svensk !

Les Barbeux
480 Newbie

Post by Les Barbeux » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi again,

yep, all those things have been previously checked.....Both my previous ones were similar in that they were not the warmest of cars, am I to presume then that in the dead of winter, the heater is just not up to it?

By the way, I was aware that this little swede originates in holland......strange that my brother is now "seeing" a swede in Amsterdam!

Regards, T
I'd rather be following my piscatorial pursuits!

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Iroll480 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:48 pm

I had the same heating issues with my 2 liter. I removed both heater hose and flushed them with a garden hose. Let the water run for a couple of minutes through both hoses so you flush the matrix from top to bottom and vice versa. Now the interior is like a sauna at temp. of -15c. That was the lowest temp last december here in Holland.

shamusthegreat
480 Newbie

Post by shamusthegreat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 am

Hi All,
:scared: and I have a similar problem, even with the heater bar slide to max and the fan only on 1 the air blown into the cabin is barely warm at all. This evening when I got in my lovely 480 Turbo I had to scrape frozen condensation off the inside of the window as even after leaving it ideling for 5 minutes the incoming air was not warm enough to defrost the windows.
The outside temperature was only -2 degrees.
I found the coolant level was just below the minimum so topped it up after which there was some bubbles that came through to the expansion tank. Topping up helped a little but not enough.
So I am wondering: could there be an air-lock in the heating system? or do I need to start with a flush of the heater matrix?
I have a Haynes manuel so will try to find out which pipe to flush through (unless anyone can post a reply before I start) tomorrow morning.
many thanks for all advice
warm wishes
StG