Last day on the road for my 480 :(

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

phil480
Knows where Volvo is from

Last day on the road for my 480 :(

Post by phil480 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am

Unfortunatley, due to high road tax and low income etc etc, I am having to declare my 480 SORN for a few months. Not happy!

Gordon Browneye wants £101 off me for 6 months tax. And as I only drive my 480 at the weekends, that amount is steep!

Hopefully It'll be back on the road for August, I'm driving down to Devon for a week.

It shouldn't be too bad, I should have GTA 4 arriving in the post today, so I'll be occupied with that for the next few weeks, haha.
Current: 480 GT 2.0 '94 in Red
Previous: 480 ES 2.0 '93 in White K464SWP -Sold in 2009. Presumed dead

pepper

Post by pepper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

I think more and more people will be more tactfully taxing their cars in the future. I like you have the availability of several vehicles so I only tax them when I need them which is mainly for the summer months and then SORN them for the other half of the year.

Although 2 of my cars are Historical vehicles, or in the case of my VW bus I call the Hysterical vehicle! They get taxed for 12 months at a time cos its free.

I can see a lot of pre 2001 vehicles going up in value slightly as people realise they wont get taxed so badly on them. I can also see some unscrupulous people doing other things with their vehicle identities!
Oy Wanderer thats my Smoke Silver Volvo 480 now.

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Thats shite dude.

It just stirs up so much anger and annoyance reading things like this. You're just Joe Average, has a car that you enjoy, but can't use it because everyone in this country is taxed to the high heavens.

Thats one of the reasons, i haven't minded being car-less since i sold the 480. No running costs. Shaneeka has a 1.2 Clio and it's ideal. No fun on long journeys mind, especially when you're stuck behind a twat who obviously thinks the national speed limit is 42! :lol: But cheap petrol, cheap tax, cheap to run. Thats why i'm considering something smaller as i may have to start commuting to work. People will flame me for it, but i've been looking at 1.4 Saxo's. Chav-mobiles? Yes. Biscuit tins? Yes. Basic? Yes. £172 F/C for a year, with cheap tax and low fuel consumption? Yes. The thought of having to run another larger engine car worries me. But it's a reality for alot of people unfortunately.

Having something you enjoy and can't use because it's become too expensive is shit. I have my own political views, an i don't want to open a can of worms-but Gordie has right royally fucked up this time. I read in the EDP today that Shell & BP make £3 million an hour from the pumps, and in the first quarter of this year they are already something like 17% up on their forecast 'but it's impossible to tell who the rest of the year will turn out'. Well thats bollocks, they're never going to lose out. The politicians and the oil people are laughing all the way to the bank! Wankers! :angry:

Rant over.

So yeah, sorry, digressed! Thats shit dude. But least you still have it-think of it as a little something to look forward to, and time to iron out any niggles! :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Sorry to hear that. But at least you have the possibility to untax your car for a while. My car costs £ 127,98 for six months. We do have the possibility to take the car off the road but, as Dutch being Dutch, that costs money too.

But if you didn't buy GTA4 you would have half the £101?
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

480 Tatey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by 480 Tatey » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:45 pm

Sorry to hear that, it is getting harder to fund cars now. The government do take the piss with most things unfortunatly cars being high on their list. But hopefully you'l get her on the road again in the near future! That new GTA is awesome wasted 5 hours of my life on it today! :lol:

@dan - Firstly I like your attitude towards the government & oil comps, i hate the way they take the piss through EVERYTHING!

Saxo's aint bad, i dont think it would hurt to get the VTR it's only group 7 and the fuel economy is really good my mate had one and now has a VTS and it's a right chuckle! I have 2 mates that have owned saxo's and they aint rude boy chavs! The only thing bad is crashing. I have experienced it and it's not a fun! :shock:
Volvo 480 Celebration 19/480 now sold. Gutted.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/Tateys480/

phil480

Post by phil480 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Yeh, it really sucks, and the price of petrol don't help matters.
Luckily the company I work for provide me with a van and fuel costs etc, so I'm not without a vehicle. But driving an Astra van round is nowhere near as satisfying as driving a 480.

Well it's only for 2 or 3 months I hope. Like Dan says, this will be a good time sort out the odd jobs. I need a bit of welding doing inside one of the wheel arches that I've put off for way too long now :lol:

Like the rant by the way Dan :rofl:
Current: 480 GT 2.0 '94 in Red
Previous: 480 ES 2.0 '93 in White K464SWP -Sold in 2009. Presumed dead

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri May 02, 2008 5:06 pm

:lol:

I find it sooo frustrating because i personally can't do anything about it. But it just pisses me off anyway. I do get a bit irate sometimes! (you should see me in the work Van :lol:)

@ 480Tatey...yeah, a VTR would be ok-i did test a VTS when i was in the first year of college, but insurance was too much at 20 years old! I'd go for a Westcoast because of the tax tbh. I could tax the bugger for a year in one go as opposed to 6 months on a 1.6. I don't plan crashing one-infact, i never planned owning one after my Ex...her mirrir got smashed off, so off came the doorcard to replace it...and the door was just a bit of tinfoil shaped like a door! So to avoid collisions i'll only be doing 20mph anyway :lol:

A bloody Saxo...comedown after Volvo's for the last 8 years! Snob alert! :lol:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]