Major light problem - MOT failure - any ideas?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johnd
480 Expert

Major light problem - MOT failure - any ideas?

Post by johnd » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:12 pm

Hi,<br><br>My brake lights are constantly on when electrics on and also driving. Pressing the brake pedal even when switched off activates the computer/prevents engine shutdown on occasions. Any ideas?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>John <p></p><i></i>

David Thornber
Started learning about 480

Re: Major light problem - MOT failure - any ideas?

Post by David Thornber » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:45 pm

It sounds like an earthing problem somewhere, I would check the rear light connectors first to check for corrosion on contacts etc. <br><br>Another possibility is that the microswitch on the brake pedal is out of adjustment and not cutting power to the lights. You may be able to quickly test this by lifting the pedal to see if the lights go out. This wouldn't explain the prob with the info centre though. <p></p><i></i>

dan
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Major light problem - MOT failure - any ideas?

Post by dan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:45 pm

Even if your brake light switch were knackered and your lights were coming on/off at will even without the ignition, it should not cause the other problem so go with David's first suggestion. <p></p><i></i>