after market electrical antenna?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dabac
Started learning about 480

after market electrical antenna?

Post by dabac » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

Recently some moron broke the antenna off my car, so I'll have to get another one. I was thinking of using an universal electrical antenna this time instead of the stick that my car came with. Has anybody tried that before?

Will it fit, or should I try and find a used volvo one? Do they run on a direct hook-up from the blue wire from the radio, or are relays needed?

Cheers,

dabac

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:31 am

I once used an electric universal antenna, it made a terrible noise everytime it went up and down. And on every meeting people would point out 'hey, what kind of antenna is that?'. So I always use the Volvo ones since :wink:

I believe that it is run directly from the blue wire, the relay to put / remove current from that wire is inside the radio.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

dabac
Started learning about 480

Post by dabac » Tue May 02, 2006 7:26 am

coyote1980 wrote:I once used an electric universal antenna, it made a terrible noise everytime it went up and down.
But fitting was OK? I've given up keeping my car original a long time ago.. :cry:

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 pm

dabac wrote:
coyote1980 wrote:I once used an electric universal antenna, it made a terrible noise everytime it went up and down.
But fitting was OK? I've given up keeping my car original a long time ago.. :cry:
That's a shame, but then again: that is only my personal opinion... To me it's a sport to keep the car in original condition, and to only use original Volvo accessories.

Fitting the universal electric antenna was possible, but took much more hassle than the Volvo 480 original one.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Mon May 08, 2006 5:38 pm

Go down a scrappie and pull out an original one is my advice, I picked one up for £15 cple of months ago. It will sound fine and look the part - most 'off the shelf' e.aerials don't fit properly due to the fitting being horizontal, not on an angle as the 480 aerial is.

I tried fitting a replacement Halfrauds one to my turbo few years back, it was a nightmare and looked it too.

Stu.