Anyone fitted a DAB aerial?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ebdl
Started learning about 480

Anyone fitted a DAB aerial?

Post by ebdl » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 pm

I've bought myself a DAB headunit and it came with a glass-mount aerial with an external antenna. The instructions recommend putting the aerial in the centre of the rear screen at the top. Unfortunately this isn't possible on the 480 as it won't clear the wiper and would also be over the heater element, which can't happen.

I think my most likely options are to put it near the top corner of the rear driver's side window or I thought I could put it in the centre of the front screen at the top. Practically, the first option is probably the best.

Has anyone else fitted one of these, and if so, where did you fit it?

cheers, Ed

ebdl

Post by ebdl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Just to say I've fitted it now and the top-rear corner of the driver's side rear window turned out to be the best/easiest place to mount the aerial. Just waiting for the iPod adapter and some better rear speakers to arrive now and then my setup's complete. Budget, but pretty good quality:

Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52 (now superceded by DAB54, got it cheap at Halfords!!!!) - mp3, CD, FM/MW/LW, DAB + iPod. Front speakers already upgraded to some decent sounding Pioneers and a pair of JBLs going in the back.

Cooper

Post by Cooper » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:16 am

Ed

How is your DAB radio performing? I was tempted to get one for mine but was put off by the costs of the headunits at the time - is the aerial working OK?

Also - how easy was it to upgrade your speakers? Do you have the speakers specs? Do you have to take the front door card right off to upgrade them? Did you need the Autoleads adapters?

Sorry for the query list - got carried away as usual :D !

Cooper

ebdl

Post by ebdl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:47 am

Hi Cooper,

I've been very pleased with the DAB setup. Reception is excellent - I listened to the Grand Prix on 5 Live last weekend on my way from Birmingham to Plymouth with no breaks or loss of quality in the broadcast. Round Plymouth I've been listening to 6 Music and, likewise, no problems.

I didn't have to upgrade the front speakers, they've already been changed. But it's just a matter of levering off the plastic cover over the speakers, no need to take off the whole door card. If you look carefully round the edge of the speaker cover I think there are some recessed areas where you can stick the end of a screwdriver in. As long as you go gently you shouldn't crack anything.

My 480 ('93) has ISO connectors already, so I didn't need any adapters to fit the new head unit. I was very lucky to find an end-of-line model for £90, I think the cheapest DAB units are about £140 these days. As a matter of interest I've always found www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk to be cheapest online (delivery is quick if they've got what you order, otherwise it can take a while).

Another thing worth thinking about is that Blaupunkt units will plug straight into the Volvo head-unit fascia surround in the dash (they use the same U-shaped removal tool). Other head-units will require you to modify the surround to stop them falling out - there isn't any way to secure the retaining cradle through the solid plastic surround Volvo decided to fit as standard.

If you decide to fit a DAB unit, I'm happy to explain the routing I used for the aerial cable.

I hope that's helped. We're all going to have to go DAB eventually!

Cheers, Ed
1993 480 ES 2.0i *SOLD*
1989 VW Scirocco Scala 1.8i
1984 VW Polo LX
1982 VW T25 Devon 2L aircooled

Cooper

Post by Cooper » Mon May 01, 2006 5:30 am

Hi Ed and thanks for your advice. I had a look at the LowcostAudio website and the headunits have come down a lot in price since I was looking - think I will go DAB when I next ugrade!

I listen to 6 Music at home and so have to do without in the car at the mo :(

I have ISO wiring but had to add a relay to switch the live (http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=9123)

Cooper

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 pm

You will need to remove the door panel for the front speakers, but it's fairly straightforward. You'll then need to unscrew the plastic door pocket from the back of the door panel and remove it, as the front speakers are screwed into that (from memory).

You'll also find that you need to cut and splice the wiring for the front speakers, as I think the terminals for connecting to the new speakers will be different. I seem to remember that there's also something odd about the way the tweeters in the door wire up, but I can't remeber exactly what it was at the moment!

Ben.