Any Headunit Guru's in the house?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ReVolvoLution
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Any Headunit Guru's in the house?

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:39 am

OK... I wouldnt say i'm great with stereo setups but i know enough to get by (normally!) but I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to hook up my new JVC KD-LHX502 stereo (same as the LHX551 at Halfrauds but in black not silver) with some rather strange results....

Its like theres not enough Ignition Live running to the unit and everytime the ignition is turned off it dumps all of its memory apart from the odd radio station. Theres also interferance when accessing menu's or touching the screen. Its supposed to beep with every touch of the screen but sometimes it just crackles (like static)! Sometimes a lot more than others. During the night when the lights are on you cant even access any menus without the thing freezing out completely but when the engines running and nothing else is draining power from the battery it works fine..... ish!

I cleaned a load of earth's under the hood which seemed to reduce some of the interferance but not much. Is the headunit foowked or does it need a new Live / Ignition Live / Earth running to it and bypassing the original wire harness? Help, i'm outta ideas!!!! :cryhard:

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Is all the wiring correct in the back of the radio? If it's working sometimes an dnot others it coulkd be a short. I had a similar problem and it turned out the memory and the live wires had been swapped over(worked fine in old radio) but my new one didnt work. Best thing to do is brush off the old broadband modem and download the wiring diagram on dragons site. Just make sure that the wires are soirted out.
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Cheers bud, but were can I find the diagrams? any linkie links anyone?

The unit always works just drops its memory everytime the ignition's turned off and just seems to act like its not getting enough power when headlights etc are turned on even if the engines running. Also gets this weird interferance when scrolling through menu's, sometimes it beeps like it should when you press a button but sometimes it just sounds like a bad Medium Wave radio thats out of tune instead of a beep!

Must admit tho, just on standard speakers so far and the sound quality is fantastic! Just need to sort these faults out before I have 'even less' hair left ! ! ! ! !

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:24 pm

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/

Click downloads. Then choose your document - if before 91 you only need first document. If after you need second supplement as well. I'm almost certain it will be memory and power leads mixed up. The interference could be any of the earths? I know the ariel can get dirty and do this when radio is on so you could try cleaning it off where the ariel lead attaches to the lead!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:54 pm

Top Bombing mate!!!!

Just been pissing about with it in my dinner and it holds memory with the ignition off as long as the keys still in. When the keys removed from the ignition barrel the centre chamber pops out over.... thats when it drops its memory.

My ignition barrel seems a bit dodgy since i got the car. Theres a large electrical "click" when the keys put in and the ignitions turned on for the first time. Once the centre chamber of the ignition barrel has been depresed it doesnt do it again until the keys been removed and and the chamber pops back out. :(

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:08 pm

ReVolvoLution wrote:Top Bombing mate!!!!

Just been pissing about with it in my dinner and it holds memory with the ignition off as long as the keys still in. When the keys removed from the ignition barrel the centre chamber pops out over.... thats when it drops its memory.

My ignition barrel seems a bit dodgy since i got the car. Theres a large electrical "click" when the keys put in and the ignitions turned on for the first time. Once the centre chamber of the ignition barrel has been depresed it doesnt do it again until the keys been removed and and the chamber pops back out. :(

Mate this problem is simple, the 12v feed and ignition feed need to be crossed over on your iso harness to your head unit!

When your ignition is on you are getting a 12v to the head unit, when the key is turned off no volts. What needs to happen is a constant 12v sent to the power on the iso so that the radio retains it's memory.

This is quite common on european cars, especially Volks, Audis and Volvo's!!! and is normally listed in the manual (it is on Pioneers)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:51 am

Cheers Guys,

We have lift off....

now complete with nice retro colouring and a lot less static bastarding interferance!

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Gods Kitchen in the head unit!

I have a 3 disc minty condish set that was a tad hard for me.Bought in curiosity.U want it???

It made my nose bleed so much I fell down,and I love Tall Pall!

:hopping: :lol:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

ReVolvoLution

Re: .

Post by ReVolvoLution » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:05 pm

catgroom wrote: It made my nose bleed so much I fell down
In true Daniella Westbrook styleee?? "Snifffff"

I'm never one to knock a freebie mush, or look a gift horse in the mouth (or any other cavities for that matter!!) but that was the only CD i had in the car at the time and its Godskitchen Classics - Old Skool at its best :D

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Re: .

Post by Jamo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:36 pm

ReVolvoLution wrote:
catgroom wrote: It made my nose bleed so much I fell down
In true Daniella Westbrook styleee?? "Snifffff"

I'm never one to knock a freebie mush, or look a gift horse in the mouth (or any other cavities for that matter!!) but that was the only CD i had in the car at the time and its Godskitchen Classics - Old Skool at its best :D
I know the guys who started godkitchen ( i was a regular when it first started in Birmingham) it was cracking then it moved to Air and things went down hill as trance became hard house.

Oh those hedonistic days :wink: :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:41 pm

@ Jamo Hedonistic days definately mate,completely lost my 20s!!!!

I wonder how mny ex-ravers are on here!

I mean ones that were there when it all kicked off in '87

I enjoyed th Flying and Boys Own do's meself,alongside those very mad M25 massive outside parties,and of course Spiral Tribe bashes.

All our cars full of straw and mess,ah kinda miss it!

:shock: <<<<looking mainly like him too! :lol:

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 pm

LoL, More bloody envy!!!

I just missed out on all that by a couple of years and had to sit on my hands watching you all lead the rozzers on a merry dance around the UK while you bounced the night away all "luvd up" in a disused warehouse! By the time I got on board in the early '90 the scene was more or less funked over here...... made some interesting trips to Magaluf and Ibiza tho :)

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:46 pm

Ah yes sunny old Iiiiiybeeeefaaaarrrrrrr! :lol:

The sunset at Cafe Del Mar is a very special experience too. ;)

We've had "The Rizzla Poll" on here a couple of years ago to see how many avid puffheads drive the mighty wedge.Perhaps we could have "The Class A Poll" next!

All I can say is dont E and drive,never..........ever!

:hopping: <<smiley us in the disused warehouse :D
Last edited by catgroom on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Hmmm.... can we have a poll of how many are police first? :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:27 pm

:D Rozzers... SCATTER!!!!

@Groomz. What about LSD tho... does it not give you the ability to go even faster?!?!?! ;) especially when used in conjunction with the "E" Brake! Or is that only if you have a Crack in your windscreen? :?

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:56 pm

:rofl:

Well as it happens man,I was rushing down this ICEy road just last week and saw my mate out riding.

It was quite a near miss as he raged out of this side exit on THE HORSE.

Mind you I'd never slag off me old mucker CHARLIE.

I remarked "Cor CHARLIE has BILLY the HORSE been on the old go pills today as his SPEED seems a little more EXCESSive than normal"???

"No",he replied,"we have to take it realtively MELLOW round here cos the locals hate horses and theyre really old fashioned in their ways mate.In fact if we arent careful they promised that my horse would be STONED"!!!!

"Bollocks to you lot" I told 'em,you STONE my HORSE and I'll bring my LASHiest piece of S&M SKIN UP here and thrash you all with it.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:37 pm

Yo groomus, Now was this all in your head and did the horse end up talking to you aswell?

Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:41 pm

It did actually mate!

I should think so too,I paid enough for the stuff,I mean,thing! :lol:

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:34 pm

na your joking the 90's scene was cool i watching and enjoyed as techno and hardcore mutated into darkside and then spawned jungle then drum and base then garage.

The 90's music was music created by a techno generation. non of this pop idol crap.

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Jamo wrote:The 90's music was music created by a techno generation. non of this pop idol crap.
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub! :hopping:

aaaww the 90's :D