Big ICE project

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ed.
Started learning about 480

Big ICE project

Post by Ed. » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Has anyone on here built a big system in their car? If so, any pics? I'm just interested to see if there are any like minded people to myself on this forum.

Cheers,

Ed

turbo mad

Post by turbo mad » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:40 pm

Heres mine its not big but it did me :D be for the crash :cry:

AMDforce
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by AMDforce » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:50 pm

not finished yet
http://photobucket.com/albums/b328/amdforce/

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:04 pm

Hmm nice builds especially the 2nd pic but both your setups need tweaking for muscial sound.

In the first one the speakers are behind the sub and the 2nd one the 6x9 are level.

Optimum sub bass is acheived by using what is know as Mid Bass reinforcement i.e sub should be behind the mid range speakers reinforcing the bass generated by the mid range speakers.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:03 am

Sub should be behind mid range speakers? Thats a new one on me, sub bass, in its purest form should be frequencies that are felt rather than heard ie frequencies below 60hz. These frequencies are omni directional, ie you can't tell where they are coming from so it doesn't really matter where you put the sub. With most subs being in big heavy boxes, the only place to put then are in the boot.

For midbass reinforcement, the best way to do this is to have 3 way components upfront, which would consist of tweeters, midranges and midbass. Using a dedicated driver to play frequencies between 200hz and 60hz you will end up with good tight punchy bass, with the sub adding the low end rumble.

In a system that is dedicated to sound quality, you would only need a good set of front component speakers (2-way or 3-way) and a sub or two in the boot. This is one of the reasons why i frown upon the use of 6x9s in the rear of cars.... there is no need for them if you are using a sub.

I hope i haven't rained on anyones parade....

Ed

AMDforce
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by AMDforce » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:25 am

the 6x9 gives only high sound no bass and got 130 watts baxes in the doors at front but they need an amplifer to give only high sounds to in the front but its just an idéé i'm working out and it sounds great ive i say myself
http://photobucket.com/albums/b328/amdforce/

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:48 am

Jamo wrote:Optimum sub bass is acheived by using what is know as Mid Bass reinforcement i.e sub should be behind the mid range speakers reinforcing the bass generated by the mid range speakers.
I don't think the ear would be able to detect the delay time of the different speakers, but are you hinting at a phase issue!?
Ed. wrote:This is one of the reasons why i frown upon the use of 6x9s in the rear of cars.... there is no need for them if you are using a sub.
in my view, i'd say it depends on the type of music you listen to!

I used to have: 2 x 10" subs,
........................ 2 x 6x9's
........................ 2x13cm componants

in the boot alone! The sound was very full ... but was too much!
I'm not much of a fan, but when i played drum'n'bass on the stereo it really came into it's own! ;) What i am a fan of is punk rock (the movielife, motion city soundtrack, the ataris, etc) ... I found the subs just fogged up definition because the music is so fast!

So now i just have 6x9's in the 480. I think the trick is to have tweeters in the front of the car as these are the freqencies which struggle to rear the driver and passenger clearly, and the rest can be picked up by the 6x9's or front componants!

LONG LIVE THE 6x9's !!!! :lol:
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 am

piper1st wrote:
Ed. wrote:This is one of the reasons why i frown upon the use of 6x9s in the rear of cars.... there is no need for them if you are using a sub.
in my view, i'd say it depends on the type of music you listen to!

I used to have: 2 x 10" subs,
........................ 2 x 6x9's
........................ 2x13cm componants

in the boot alone! The sound was very full ... but was too much!
I'm not much of a fan, but when i played drum'n'bass on the stereo it really came into it's own! ;) What i am a fan of is punk rock (the movielife, motion city soundtrack, the ataris, etc) ... I found the subs just fogged up definition because the music is so fast!

So now i just have 6x9's in the 480. I think the trick is to have tweeters in the front of the car as these are the freqencies which struggle to rear the driver and passenger clearly, and the rest can be picked up by the 6x9's or front componants!

LONG LIVE THE 6x9's !!!! :lol:
:? Each to their own. I prefer a good solid front stage with sub bass filling in the low notes :)

The issue you had with the sub not being able to keep up with the music is related to the box that the sub was in. At a guess, was it a prefabricated ported box? You would be better off using a sealed box as the group delay is generally alot lower, ie it can keep up with quick changes in bass notes.

Why does everyone insist on filling their boots full of full range speakers? When you go to see a live band, do you sit with your back to them?

Ed

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 am

Would sitting the 6x9's behind the sub drown out any bass that they are producing?

In my 440, i was running 2x 12" 150 RMS Rockfords in sealed boxes, and 2x pairs of 35 RMS 13cm 3 way Pioneers....2 front, 2 rear. This was ample, but, i did run 6x9's for a period of time. They were in the mandatoy space on the parcel shelf, and aswell as providing more of a rear fill, they also produced a good mid-range bass when the volume was turned down. I noticed the difference when i took them out. The only reason i took them out was because some little git was about to break in the car, but they saw me coming and legged it.... :angry: Then i just decided to keep it subtle and hide all the stereo....other wise i would have kept them.

It's difficult in the 480 as there is no parcel shelf and space is limited. If more Bass is desired, could some meaty 15cm 2way speakers do the job in a custom made pod in the rear door cards? Or even normal ones in th back and bigger ones in the front? Then you get the low end Bass all round and a more mid-range bass for the front...

The trick is to keep it simple-you can flood the cabin with too much, downing out the best parts. Thats why i think an SQ system is the best way. Good top end and mid range, and one dedicated sub channel.

Was it worth me putting all that? :lol: :dunno:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:39 am

I used to use rear fill in my 440 too, but there is no need for it anymore.

Bass upfront is difficult with only 5.25" speakers. Rainbow used to make midrange/midbass speakers called kickbass. They were made specifically for punchy bass response.

If there is space under the front seats, then a small sub or a midbasses could be added. The proper way to do it would be to have kickbuilds in the footwells housing bigger 6" to 9" midbass drivers.

Ed

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:04 pm

ED is in the MIDLANDS and hasn't introduced himself to the HOMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINNER SINNER SINNER

Your system problems could be sorted at the HOMD
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 pm

lee wrote:ED is in the MIDLANDS and hasn't introduced himself to the HOMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINNER SINNER SINNER

Your system problems could be sorted at the HOMD
HOMD?

I don't have any system problems, and if i were to have any then i should be able to sort myself, thanks :) Car audio has been a big hobby of mine for a few years now ;)

If anyone else has any system problems though, then i am more than willing to give advice/help.

Ed

Brasco
480 Is my middle name

Post by Brasco » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Home Of Mentally Disturbed (480's)

It's a place to go if you want your doors to open upwards or your rear seatbelt sockets to face the wrong way round... :lol:

Ed, good to know we've got another experienced bod to answer questions on ICE ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/myelan3.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400024rip-1.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/fc85e36c.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Brasco480/SV400044-1.jpg[/img]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Brasco wrote:rear seatbelt sockets to face the wrong way round... :lol:
Bitch :P

2001 V70

billy5000
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by billy5000 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi all
It's a place to go if you want your doors to open upwards

i like lambo`s i want lambo`s :badmood: :)

but im happy with my belts as they are :lol:

sg
480 for life!!
1X)2 tone (silver/green)480ES 92 1.7i (140.000miles)(dead!!!

1x 480 es two tone silver/green 1992 1.7i(126.000)alive!!!godlike:)SOLD:(