DVD Player

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

DVD Player

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:02 pm

*Might* be receiving a 7" monitor soon...wasn't really looking for one but i've been offered one for £20, and it's like new (good old 'mate rates'!). Not too fussed about wiring a PS2 upto it, but would quite like a DVD player hooked up. I have seen a DVD player on eBay (not a dodgy Hong Kong import either), taht would also function as a regular CD player. It's standard DIN sized, but i don't want to take my curret HU out. So the question i ask is this: can i wire up, what would initially be a second headunit in the car?

Has anybody else done this? Or could anybody recomend just a decent incar DVD player?

Cheers! :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:09 pm

Hey Dan, I have one and I bought the kit of eBay too for £160

Here are a couple of pics

The DVD player and screen:

http://www.volvo480wales.com/images/Cel ... re_005.jpg

And the PS2 in the back

http://www.volvo480wales.com/images/Cel ... re_009.jpg

I had a problem with interference at first but then I put a direct power cable to the battery and a couple of inhibiters (if that’s what they are called), not completely got rid of the slight buzzing when the engine is going but when there is a DVD on its not noticeable. The PS2 is powered with an inverter from Halfords.

AD

2001 V70

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:39 am

The heater controls are DIN size I believe - but not the standard mounts - so you'd have to move the controls and hack up some way of mounting it all.
If you don't need to see the face of the DVD player while you're driving - mount it into the glovebox or boot. If it comes with an IR remote that you can't get a line-of-sight too then Maplin or RS will sort you out with a mini box of tricks to let you put an IR sensor in front of you - into a cable - and out of an IR LED to the sensor of the DVD player - handy.
To remove noise - A DC noise suppressor which filters out the high-frequency hum from the engines + computers in the car and dedicated power from the battery. Also a ground-loop supressor on the signal lines will help a lot if you can find one that won't filter out the DC signal from the video. Failing that - shield your signal cables and keep them well away from the power lines.
A second-hand X-Box or PS2 in the boot may be much cheaper off e-bay than an in-car DVD player and will run the DVDs + CDs happily. A mains invertor will keep them beating. <<plus always the opportunity of modding an X-Box to create an in-car pc if you know Linux :)>>
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:41 pm

Well, an in-car PC would be nice, but i think i'd be just as happy with a DVD and screen. I never had any intention of getting either a TV or PS2/DVD, so this is all just a bonus!

I'll probably go for a PS2, as it plays DVD's too. The new slim one is very....er....slim and portable, so if i want to take it indoors i can. I have seen (in...wait for it...Max Power!) a quite sound power adaptor with a remote switch so i could put it in the boot and still turn ito on in the cabin....but it's a staggering £70! The only reason i'm considering this is 'cos the screen was dirt cheap and i'm getting a PS2 for my birthday...i don't want to start spending loads of extra cash (which i don't have anyway!).

As i am fairly ignorant, could somebody expalin to me what an i
'invertor' is? I presume thats what i would use to get the PS2 up and running... :dunno:

Cheers guys...
Dan
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:52 pm

The inverter is the big black thing I velcroed to the passenger footwell.

http://www.volvo480wales.com/images/Cel ... re_008.jpg

Not very portable but it does its job, was thinking of removing the DVD player and putting it in the boot along with the PS2

Ad

2001 V70

480_rocket
480 Veteran

Post by 480_rocket » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:15 am

What voltage does the slim PS2 run off?

You can get inverters which convert the car battery to 240v AC for about £20. Thats for 150w which is more than adequate.
'92 480 Turbo, full leather and air con