After-market speakers in rear side wall speaker pods.. aaggh

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Geoff
480 Newbie

After-market speakers in rear side wall speaker pods.. aaggh

Post by Geoff » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:08 pm

Has anyone ever managed to fit anything other than the standard volvo speakers into the speaker pods that fit into the side wall next to the rear seats (not the pods that go in place of the storage bins)....??? if so which ones...?

standard 13cm aftermarket speakers seem to fine in the holes, but then fitting the volvo grill back on top for 'stealth' purposes seems to be impossible - all speakers i have tried other than volvo seem to have tweeters that stick too far out of the speaker so the grille wont fit back on.

This is beginning to really get my goat as i'd really like to put some decent speakers in the back but i'd like to keep the standard look as much as possible....

any suggestions would be absolutlely great...

cheers.

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Re: After-market speakers in rear side wall speaker pods.. a

Post by Jamo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Geoff wrote:Has anyone ever managed to fit anything other than the standard volvo speakers into the speaker pods that fit into the side wall next to the rear seats (not the pods that go in place of the storage bins)....??? if so which ones...?

standard 13cm aftermarket speakers seem to fine in the holes, but then fitting the volvo grill back on top for 'stealth' purposes seems to be impossible - all speakers i have tried other than volvo seem to have tweeters that stick too far out of the speaker so the grille wont fit back on.

This is beginning to really get my goat as i'd really like to put some decent speakers in the back but i'd like to keep the standard look as much as possible....

any suggestions would be absolutlely great...

cheers.

Caliber CSS 5 fit a treat. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 33580&rd=1
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:57 pm

Don't buy co-axial speakers, grab some with seperate tweeters and then either ditch the tweeters or mount them somewhere else or sell them on e-bay (some nutter is bound to grab them!)
Alpine S-Range 13cm are <very> nice in my opinion.
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten

Geoff
480 Newbie

Post by Geoff » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:42 pm

cheers guys, was thinking of components but i already got some for the front and it took me about three years to fit the darn things so i was wondering if there were any custom fit coaxials made for the 480 by another company....

pioneer say they do custom fit for volvo (dont know if its 480), but judging by every other speaker i've tried, i think they're likely to have too bigger woofers, or tweeters that stick too far out to let the grill fit back on.

Geoff
480 Newbie

Post by Geoff » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:46 pm

jamo,

checked out the calibre css5's on ebay you recommended... are you sure they'll fit in AND still let the factory grill clip back on...? only they look like maybe the plate around the screw holes would be too thick and rise up preventing the gill from clipping onto the plastic mount properly...

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:59 pm

Geoff wrote:jamo,

checked out the calibre css5's on ebay you recommended... are you sure they'll fit in AND still let the factory grill clip back on...? only they look like maybe the plate around the screw holes would be too thick and rise up preventing the gill from clipping onto the plastic mount properly...
Thinking about it, i used sticky pads to move the mount point of the grill underneath in the rear.

You need flush mounting 51/4 speakers, basically ones with a flat edge around the whole speaker.

There are a couple on the market, the pioneer one does fit but sounds sh*t.

If your using it for a fill then it's fine.

I used to have the Pioneer TSW range in the back of my 480
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:12 pm

Got pioneer TS-G1316 in back on mine, fit fine and the grill clips on with no problems, but they do seem to be all mid and not a lot else

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

jromaines
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by jromaines » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:54 am

Got alpines in the back of mine, not sure which ones. Fit fine with the volvo grilles back on, just had to take the spacer out. Sound isn't too bad either.
1993 480ES Metallic Black (2nd time I've owned this one!)
2000 Fiat Bravo HGT Petrol Blue
2007 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9TDi - Coming Soon!!!

Geoff
480 Newbie

Post by Geoff » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:08 pm

by the spacer, do you mean the plastic moulding that the speakers screw into, and which the grill clips oto?

if so, how did you get the vovlo grill back on without this...?

jromaines

Post by jromaines » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:48 pm

Right, got confused! The head unit is Alpine and the speakers are Sony. Basically the spacer is on the speaker itself, it was a plastic ring. Took it off and then put the volvo grille back over the top and fits perfectly. If I can find the model number I'll let you know.

Geoff
480 Newbie

Post by Geoff » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:58 am

cheers mate,

that would be crackng.

jromaines

Post by jromaines » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:37 pm

Really sorry for the delay - being honest I forgot!! I'm going to be taking the whole stereo out to fit in the new car and when I do it I'll make a note and send pics of it all if that helps.......