old radio: working aerial, new radio: nothing!

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

phels
480 Newbie

old radio: working aerial, new radio: nothing!

Post by phels » Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 am

I had the original volvo stereo fitted to my car and have just replaced it with a slightly ageing clarion cd player. I bought an iso adaptor and the cd player works fine, yet the aerial refuses to work even though i had got it to work instantly with my old radio. Why is this? I've checked all the connections and they seem fine so i can't understand why the bloody thing doesn't work! Any ideas???????
Poor student determined to keep is 480 ALIVE!!!!!

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

aerial

Post by stu chacks » Fri May 06, 2005 2:44 pm

Are you sure the old CD unit you've put in has an electric aerial option?
Not all sterios (even modern ones) have the necessary (usually yellow) wire to connect/activate it.

If it hasn't I'd route the electric aerial wire from your Volvo direct into the on/off power wire from your CD player. Better than having no arial at all?
Good luck with it.
Stu.

phels
480 Newbie

a bit of clarification

Post by phels » Fri May 06, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks for your help but.....
I think i get what your saying but there are no wires coming out of my stereo in the respect that the iso adaptor connects to my old wiring and is then plugged into the back of the stereo. The yellow wire (for aerial) is therefore channeled into the radio unit. Are you saying that the wire is not compatable with the unit? By routing it with the red (power) wire will i get my aerial to work whenever the unit is turned on???

kingrichy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by kingrichy » Fri May 06, 2005 4:05 pm

It can also be a blue wire.
My baby`s

1990 Red ES Automatic 145000km
1990 Lavendel metalic 223000km
1988 Grafite gray metalic Turbo 185000km Sold

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/kingrichy/

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Radio ga-ga?

Post by stu chacks » Sun May 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Phels, real pain to do it, but as your connector is straight into the back of your sterio and if it has no electric aerial option I'd cut the cars electric aerial wire and splice it into your (ignition only) power wire (not the permanent memory power connection). Should operate whenever you turn on the ignition then.
Good luck with it,
Stu.

phels
480 Newbie

update on aerial!

Post by phels » Mon May 09, 2005 9:05 am

Just to update: i wired the elec aerial wire into the ignition only wire and the aerial shot up, however it would not retract! I did some more cutting and general butchering and decided to connect the wire to the dash illumination feed. It worked a treat so now whenever i turn the ignition over the aerial pops up as the dash is illuminated all the time! I can now listen to the radio! Not that there are any decent stations on in leicester! I'll have to be patient and wait for my return to London!