Which connectors are best ???

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Which connectors are best ???

Post by catgroom » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have just ganned a http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/cms ... ge=english
for a really good price through ebay on Buy It Now.....

I dont want to use bullet connectors ideally,Id like to have a more secure connection,I find that the cabling can pop out of the terminals even with my crimpers which are realy good.

What else could I use???Something brass plated perhaps???Something that will enhance the quality of connection/signal too would be great!

Cant wait for the Parcel Force van tomorrow!!!!!!

Never had 4x50W plus Sub Amp before.Tomorrow will really feel like Monday,which was a birthday which did not feel very good at all!!!!

Steve. ;)
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Snap! I got the same toy! Nothing too flash about it but sounds nice. Loads of settings for bass and treble frequencies.

Have you not still got the standard volvo plugs back there? I bought an adapter from halfords, but it wasnt the one labeled volvo 400 - alpine. Think it was a ford - sony !? Was half the price and the other had the opposite male / female connectors on the volvo end. Think I had to swap the +ve switched and constant around a bit by removing pins from the plugs and putting them in the appropriate place. Did the trick for me.

pol

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:34 pm

skip the screw type and bullet connectors and solder all the wires in place. also, heatshrink the joins when you have finished, it makes for a tidy, safe and pro looking job!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Ta!

Post by catgroom » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Thanks both!!!!!

I currently have cross-overs for my 6" mids in my rear pockets and dome tweeters on the dash corners.

Do u guys know whether the cross-over network built into this unit will mean that the 2 will be fighting one another or cause a problem making sound far lower in quality???

So its good then Pollus??? :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

turbo_man
Started learning about 480

Post by turbo_man » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:32 pm

hi catgroom, only use 1 croqqover or you'll be forever tuning each one.

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Hey Steve.

I'd go with Murf on that one-i resoldered 90% of my wiring-connectors are good but never give a brilliant join. Also, if you solder and heatshrink the joins, it stops any moisture getting into the wiring and turning it a funny colour! Don't know where it cam from in the first place, but it was this that made me re-solder it all!

Tasty headunit by the way.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Another trick is you can buy AMP block connectors, or similar, from RS or maplins, etc. They're like most of the block connectors dotted around the wiring loom already.
Crimp the wires into the little copper connection blocks (or gold-plated jobbies if you pay a bit more - worth it for the speaker connectors) then dash a wee blob of solder (or solder paste + lighter) to hold them in place - they snap into the connector block making your own custom connector. Quality job and means you can easily change out the stereo or wire up accessories if you ever need to.

Oh - optional - see if you can fix up a mount for the little m3 screw at the back of the unit - sticks out of the middle with a rubber bush. It'll stop vibrations from the car as you thrash it from skipping the CDs as often - There wasn't anything there on my car, and the dashboard is so flimsy that my CDs skip to hell!

Enjoy dude!!
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten