RCA Connections (Get Comfy!)

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

RCA Connections (Get Comfy!)

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:53 pm

Hey Guys...get comfortable!

Right. I am running two Amp's in my car. They require 4 pairs of RCA leads, which means my headunit needed 4 pairs of RCA outputs. But, the headunit i bought only had two pairs of outputs (2 red and 2 white RCA's on the back of the unit). Still with me?

So, i bought two pairs of RCA leads, plugged them into the back of the headunit (as you would), and sent the other ends to my amp's, obviously. So, this covered 2 of the 4 outputs on my amp's.

I then proceeded to purchase 4 pairs of 1 female to 2 male splitters, therefore splitting 2 RCA connectors into 4. This then 'filled' all the required outputs on my amp's and they are all running fine and dandy to this day (touchwood).

Thing is this. My poor old headunit is dying a slow and painful death. I tortured it (a few pretty sparks here and there :oops: ) when installing it in my hamfisted (and in-experienced) ways several years ago, and it's given up the ghost. I have seen a nice Kenwood unit (dead simple, non-flashy and cheap-and has to be a Kenwood unit because i forked out £40 for an iPod adaptor for it before Christmas), but (you knew it was coming!).....it only has ONE pair of RCA outputs (1 Red and 1 White RCA output). Now, the question i have is this:

I know i can buy the splitters, i've seen the ones i would need-but can i split the output's on the back of the headunit, like i did when splitting the RCA cables to my amp's? I need split each of the outputs on the unit in two to make up for the one i would lose.

I know some RCA output's can be dedicated to the front and rear speakers, but i had mine running opposite way round (didn't realise for over a year!) and it didn't seem to make a sh*t's worth of difference.

I really hope that made some kind of sense...if anybody can shed any light, i might give you a kiss :shock: ...no, i'll just really appreciate it!

Here's hoping!

Dan M :crazy:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Yes,i cant see why you couldnt split them. they are signal level outputs and they dont really put any load on the HU so splitting them wouldnt make a difference.

the other way is to get some line level adapters which convert the speaker output connections on the HU to line level, you usually use these when you have a HU with no RCA outputs but i'm not sure how "clean" they are from a signal point of view.

im sure richard will be of more help than me on this subject as he really seems to know his stuff when it comes to audio!

:D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:51 pm

Good Old Murf, to the rescue again!

I don't know Richard, but if you could kind of maybe give him a little hint that there maybe something here he can help with, that would be great ;)

Cheers!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:12 am

I don't read this part of the forum often, but have seen this.

You can split the RCA outputs, hopefully without problems. It depends on the inputs on the amps more than anything. If the headunit can't supply enough output then it is unlikely to die, but you won't get much volume.

Normaly it will work fine, but some amps are funny and have a resonably low input impeadance to cut down on noise. I'd try it and see.

The converters for speaker outputs are not a good idea if you can do something else, since they tend to add a lot of distortion, plus the distortion from the internal amp in the headunit. Steer clear of them unless you actualy need to use them.

Hope that helps

I'm still trying to figure out how to even fit my 16 chanel setup into the 480.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

480_rocket
480 Veteran

Post by 480_rocket » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:27 am

Stay away from those nasty speaker level to line level adaptors. Chances are it's got a horrible transformer in the audio path.

Splitting the lineout from the headunit should work fine.

AFAIK, the only difference between front and rear outs on head units is the ability to still use the head units F-R fader.
'92 480 Turbo, full leather and air con

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Your problem is the line out voltage!

What your doing is perfectly fine but the head unit must have a 4v or 6v pre out voltage.

Really would suggest a Pioneer or Alpine unit.

I'm running a similar setup on my Audi i have 8 rca's in my car with 3 amps.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:09 am

Well, after much contemplation, i've decided against the splitter idea. For what i would pay in postage, and acquiring the additioal splitter leads, i could spend an extra £10 and get one with two pairs of outputs therefore no need to split. I'm glad you mentioned about the Volts Jamo on the RCA's, i would never had known. The one i was looking at only had 2 volts....would have been interesting!

I had to buy another Kenwood to accomodate my Aux in lead (on a bit of a budget so don't want to have to buy more leads etc). Managed to find a decent little unit...the kdc-6027 (i think). MP3/WMA compatible with the 2 pairs of outputs-brand spanking new (model been updated now) with delivery, £96. Bargain. Which means if the battery goes on my iPod, i still have an MP3 player so i still only need to carry 1 CD in the car. Sorted!

Cheers for the help guy's...despite the fact i own a 440, i'm starting to feel 'accepted, one of the gang' now!

Murf

Post by Murf » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Cheers for the help guy's...despite the fact i own a 440, i'm starting to feel 'accepted, one of the gang' now!
Huh, no chance mr complacent!
:D
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:46 pm

Your be asking to come to the meets next ;)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Mr Complacent....ok, ok, i know my place. I'll leave you all alone now....sorry :(

And with regards to the meet...funny you should say that....

It's ok, i know when i'm not wanted. :cryhard:

Bye :cry:

Murf

Post by Murf » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:27 pm

you'll be back soon with questions about the turbo transplant!!!

i'm sure you would be more than welcome at a meet, show us what a REAL car looks like! :D
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:29 pm

i'm sure you would be more than welcome at a meet, show us what a REAL car looks like!
I'm not sure how to take that one....i'll just smile and move swiftly on! The Turbo transplant is something i won't dismiss-but there are a few other things i want to do before the Turbo... I believe DBS is knocking up some front bumper extensions for the 300 series for some people at the VOC-and i think there might be a similar thing for the 400 series soon, if there is enogh interest. But you know what people are like, saying 'yes', until they have to really part with some money.... :angry: !

I'm being serious about coming along to a 480 meet-i really like the 400 series, and the pic's i've seen of all the 480's look really good-would be nice to see loads of 480's together-might even persuade my old man to come along too!

Anyway...i'm yapping. I shall bid you farewell-no doubt i'll be back here soon!

Oh-the stickers are off-i'll get some pic's Murf, just for you, up soon! :lol:

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Have you removed the sun strip too.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:35 pm

Thats one thing i wont be losing-i have to say, i quite like the old Sunstrip so it's there to stay! Only time it comes off is for the MOT, and then it goes straight back on! That's not too ott, it looks ok. Just fit's in well i think.

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:01 pm

sure do come to the meet, i don't see a problem with that.

I *think* chriskay is going and his got a 850t5 and gaz might have his v40 t4
Audi TT

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:14 pm

That would be well good. Where abouts do you hold it and when?

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Audi TT