What speakers for front + rear?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

What speakers for front + rear?

Post by pol » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:07 am

Thinking about getting some new front and rear speakers to replace the kenwood ones in my doors etc. I find the ones I have can't handle much bass. What would be a good set-up to comppliment my new alpine head unit?

pol

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 am

Well...

Forget trying to get too much bass out of the door speakers, because it's not the ideal sort of enclosure for it (by a long shot).

For the low stuff you will want a subwoofer, depending on the type of music you listen to, it will change what to get.

I guess you don't want to spend huge ammounts and go for an all round system?

For mostly rock/pop I'd go with a 10" subwoofer in a ported box. The rears, if you could get some 6x9s in there that will fill in the bass above the subwoofer. The fronts go for something that's got resonable mid/high range performance, you may want to filter out anything less than 100hz to the fonts, because you will get clearer midrange then (because the cone on the speaker isn't moving so far).

Idealy (if you have plenty of money)...

Active crossover with the following,

Subwoofer 15 to 60hz, a 3 chamber box for size reasons, unless you have room for an 18" speaker.

Bass fill 55hz to 250hz, 8" or 10" woofers in a sealed box.

Rear mids 6" midrange optimised speaker 250hz up, same for the front if poss, or a slightly smaller speaker.

Tweeters; titanium dome tweeters work welll, the crossover from mid to tweeters needs messing with depending on placement.

Idealy you set the thing up using a spectrum meter and white / pink noise to get as near to a flat response as possible. You will find that you need to put more power into the tweeters than you think due to the seats etc damping the higher frequencies.

Hope that helps

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:43 am

Thanks richard. Sounds like you know your stuff as always.
Think i'll look into cross-overs. I realise I wont get much bass from the doors, but feel they could have a little more punch. I have a sub but it's not great.

A friend bought infinity components. What people reckon?

pol

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:10 pm

I bought some JBL from groomus...sound great and you can point the tweeters upwards. Very nice.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:25 pm

Infinity are good speakers, but a little expencive for what they are.

Rockford fosgate are very very good, but you pay for it. The midrange are the ones to spend money on, tweeters a little less (go for the dome type, either titanium, or carbon) Titanium work well in cars as they are 'brighter' that helps offset the huge ammount of carpet and soft coverings everywhere.

If you are going for active crossovers, then you need one amplifier chanel per speaker. So at a minimum thats 2x subs, 2x midrange, 2 x tweeters. So that's six chanels as a bare minimum. Ten if you want rear midrange and woofers to fill the bass above the subwoofer. That's a lot of amps! Lucky they can all be resonably small in power output, and still get resonable volume.

Hope that helps

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

Breeze
480 Newbie

Post by Breeze » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:32 pm

I would agree with pretty much everything rpruen has said, Infinity make decent speakers (made by harman consumer UK, who make Harman/Kardon systems for the likes of BMW) though they also make JBL, who are the cheaper alternative and to my ear seem a bit bassier. try some JBL GTO525s (?) shouldnt cost more than £40 a pair.

As for the sub, I'd reccomend (if you can afford it, and if you dont mind losing most of your boot space) the Vibe Active range. A Package of sub and matched amp together in either 10 or 12 form.
£199 or £279 respectivley form Halfords, but much cheaper by mail order.

If not, i'd probably say try and build something interesting using the likes of JL audio / Sony / Rockford Fosgate etc. But avoid Fusion if I were you. total shite.
* 1993 Volvo 480 1.7S
* 1979 Austin Allegro 1.3L - being converted for the quarter mile!!!!!
* 1966 Lambretta Li125 - Dead, lost Vs. a ditch.
* 1974 Triumph Stag, 3.5L Rover V8.

480 Newbie

Post by 0603 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:27 pm

depends what you want really i have 4x 80w pioneer 4" with a 250w sub in the back hooked up to a 200w amp, that lot is hooked up to a sony 5000r or something like that the whole lot cost me under £150 as it was all aquired second hand! ive fitted it myself and it looks the biz! obviously this is the cheapest of cheap but with a £3000 insurance bill comin up i dont have alot of cash :cry: but obviously it gives you an idea of what can be achived on a tight budget! :wink:
VOLVO 480 1.7ES

NOT ALL YOUNG PEOPLE ARE BOY RACERS!

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:57 pm

£3000 insurance bill
what, are you 17 with 11 points and a drink driving conviction???

my insurance is £220 a year now that i'm 25, yipee!! :D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

turbo_man
Started learning about 480

Post by turbo_man » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:02 pm

true, depend what you want, i have a alpine 9813 mp3 player, alpine door components and 2 V12 amps running the 2 alpine type R 12 inch subs.

sounds absolutely mind blowing and very heavy at times

if you need any components let me know.

regards
chad