what's your favourite in car music?

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: what's your favourite in car music?

Post by Martin63 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 am

For an 80s touch I love The Cramps and the Pixies but had accidents whilst listening to them (on cassette tape of course!) in 1983 and 1988 respectively ......so I haven't listened to them in the car since! My daughter tells me that Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine' was almost constant play from 1998 to 2000......she is probably right!

Recently it's been the Manics and Amy Winehouse plus Interpol
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:43 am

Martin63 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 am
For an 80s touch I love The Cramps and the Pixies but had accidents whilst listening to them (on cassette tape of course!) in 1983 and 1988 respectively ......so I haven't listened to them in the car since! My daughter tells me that Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine' was almost constant play from 1998 to 2000......she is probably right!

Morning Martin, welcome to the club!

Until it was taken over, my favourite station was SamFM south coast, although JACKFM is a treat whenever we are up by Oxford, as it still has an amazing character!

In terms of music for cars, I have so many, but She Sells Sanctuary, Ordinary World and More Than This (The Cult, Duran Duran and Roxy Music) are just some of my favourites. But really, it is really music that just allows me some escapism from the modern world...

A little while back, I submitted some choices to Gavin at Petrolblog for his CarTunes series:
https://petrolblog.com/2020/08/cartunes ... en-hooper/

Great to have you as part of the club, welcome!

Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Anything by Depeche Mode on full volume is a good pick me up for me when in the car. Also Tears for Fears (Everybody wants to rule the world especially) and although technically not 80s, Fat Boy Slim (We've come a long way, Baby) always floats my 480 boat.

The best music though, is the rorty sound of the engine when going down through the gears, and the woooooohhhoooo feeling I get from squealing the tyres round tight corners and roundabouts :)

Anyway, gave her a wash this morning, and the sun was shining, and as we all know, happiness is a clean car and sunshine!
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 pm

I was glancing through this thread and didn't even notice who'd posted - but I saw the photo and thought "that's a nice looking 480!" Then I thought "N123...hang on, that's familiar..." Then I looked and saw who'd posted :lol:

Really pleased to see she still scrubs up well Martin :D

As for music - Roxy Music & Kate Bush top my list, plus Duran Duran, Phil Collins (am I showing my age yet?) - but, really, all sorts of things depending on the mood...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 pm
I was glancing through this thread and didn't even notice who'd posted - but I saw the photo and thought "that's a nice looking 480!" Then I thought "N123...hang on, that's familiar..." Then I looked and saw who'd posted :lol:

As for music - Roxy Music & Kate Bush top my list, plus Duran Duran, Phil Collins (am I showing my age yet?) - but, really, all sorts of things depending on the mood...

David
I remember the Rio cassette struck a chord with you when we tested it on that road in Newbury after installing that tape deck in the dark, that player is actually the best I have known, the one in the current unit doesn't have autoreverse, which is annoying, but your one is currently living in the quattro
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:32 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm
dcwalker wrote:

David
I remember the Rio cassette struck a chord with you when we tested it on that road in Newbury after installing that tape deck in the dark, that player is actually the best I have known, the one in the current unit doesn't have autoreverse, which is annoying, but your one is currently living in the quattro
Ahh...Rio...still one of their best!!

I remember it as being a really good sounding deck in Dad's Passat all those years ago. So in the Quattro does the screen work ok?

Really pleased - and Dad would be - to know it's making someone happy rather than sitting in my garage gathering dust :D

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Martin63 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:14 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:43 am
Martin63 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 am

Morning Martin, welcome to the club!

Until it was taken over, my favourite station was SamFM south coast, although JACKFM is a treat whenever we are up by Oxford, as it still has an amazing character!

In terms of music for cars, I have so many, but She Sells Sanctuary, Ordinary World and More Than This (The Cult, Duran Duran and Roxy Music) are just some of my favourites. But really, it is really music that just allows me some escapism from the modern world...

A little while back, I submitted some choices to Gavin at Petrolblog for his CarTunes series:
https://petrolblog.com/2020/08/cartunes ... en-hooper/

Great to have you as part of the club, welcome!

Ben
I saw Southern Death Cult, Death Cult and The Cult live between 1982 and 1987 Ben. I love Roxy Music, but Duran Duran have never done a lot for me. I still have a stack of cassette tapes (I know - sad!) so a decent tape deck in a 480 would be great :hopping:
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:04 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:32 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm
dcwalker wrote:

David
Ahh...Rio...still one of their best!!

I remember it as being a really good sounding deck in Dad's Passat all those years ago. So in the Quattro does the screen work ok?

Really pleased - and Dad would be - to know it's making someone happy rather than sitting in my garage gathering dust :D

David
All works in the quattro, and even managed to listen to one of my grandfather's tapes on the point he (probably) last left it at. It was his 100th birthday yesterday, so he would have been glad the car has had such an influence on me I am sure. The screen works fine in the quattro, as it has the right plug for it, just a shame GHR has taken over the airwaves where we are...

The radio will come out when the Toronto has been serviced, but I am always on the look out for cars which would fit it. (is it concerning that I am considering cars based on whether a radio would look good in them :crazy: ?)
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm a long-time Led Zep fan. Saw them live at Knebworth - The Song Remains the Same. Still got the T shirt! Not really music for the car though. My driving preference is for much more soothing sounds like Bo Hansson Van Gelis and anything by Enya - very haunting. Also like Queen, Robert Plant and some Sisters of Mercy tracks.
Lily has her original tape deck still while Snazzy has a modern CD player which was planned as all my music is one or the other. Sadly tape deck in Lily has gone wrong and Al has not yet got around to taking it out. When Snazzy finally came home I had trouble remembering how to use the cd player, it's not exactly intuitive and I cant find the hidden eject button whilst driving. Sigh.......one day I'll have music again.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

DEATH
480 Newbie

Post by DEATH » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:00 pm

Metal :D :hopping:

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:35 am

I like 80s and 90s music mainly. I love U2's Achtung Baby (just saw them perform it in The Sphere) and all the cool remixes that go with it. I like New Order, Joy Division, Peter Hook too. Also love the Stone Roses (both albums), the Pixies, the Rolling Stones and some wonderful Irish bands you've probably never heard of like The Sawdoctors, The Frank and Walters and the Sultans of Ping FC. Used to listen to CDs but mainly use Spotify in the car now through the AUX.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:15 pm

As a child of the 21st century, I like the music to complement the car - so as to take me back in time and hopefully get an anemoia overload as an escape from the modern world. With both of my cars being from the mid-late 80s, that means stuff from about 1987-1998 always goes down well in the Volvo, but in the Audi this rule also extends backwards to the early 80s as it is technically a 70s design. Basically transporting me to a time when these cars were just daily transport (as for me, they often still are used that way)

As for artists and albums, I have a few favourites - Duran Duran's Wedding Album being perhaps my most listened to cassette. a-ha's first 3 albums were a delight driving up to Denmark. Can't beat The Sisters of Mercy's Floodland for late night cross country navigation, and Whitesnake's Greatest Hits are great for blasting back from Le Mans
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:11 pm

MisterH wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:15 pm
As a child of the 21st century, I like the music to complement the car - so as to take me back in time and hopefully get an anemoia overload as an escape from the modern world. With both of my cars being from the mid-late 80s, that means stuff from about 1987-1998 always goes down well in the Volvo, but in the Audi this rule also extends backwards to the early 80s as it is technically a 70s design. Basically transporting me to a time when these cars were just daily transport (as for me, they often still are used that way)

As for artists and albums, I have a few favourites - Duran Duran's Wedding Album being perhaps my most listened to cassette. a-ha's first 3 albums were a delight driving up to Denmark. Can't beat The Sisters of Mercy's Floodland for late night cross country navigation, and Whitesnake's Greatest Hits are great for blasting back from Le Mans
^^ This ^^ I highly approve of, with one caveat (which I'm assuming you're fulfilling). ON period correct media! Tapes or, at a push (if you're swanky!) CD. Back in the day, you'd listen to a whole album. And if you wanted a mix, well, you'd craft your very own Mix tape!

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:07 am

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:11 pm
MisterH wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:15 pm

^^ This ^^ I highly approve of, with one caveat (which I'm assuming you're fulfilling). ON period correct media! Tapes or, at a push (if you're swanky!) CD. Back in the day, you'd listen to a whole album. And if you wanted a mix, well, you'd craft your very own Mix tape!
My old Celebration 480 had a Minidisc player! :)

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:44 am

My music taste is all over the place and clearly a lot different to most people here :lol: . I listen to pretty much every genre of any era. From Greensleeves to Eminem!

I’m mainly bound by the technology of my Philips RC348 radio & 6-disc CD changer combo, so can only listen to music that comes on tape or disc format. Coldplay, The Verve, Robbie Williams, Take-That and Cage The Elephant are some of my regular listens.

That being said, there is one song I listen to a lot (which is in keeping with the year of my car.) That is Duran Duran: Ordinary World, released in 1993.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:44 am

That being said, there is one song I listen to a lot (which is in keeping with the year of my car.) That is Duran Duran: Ordinary World, released in 1993.
Exceedingly good taste, my favourite song of all time, and sadly one that is quite underrated (hardly ever played on the radio)

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:11 pm

Looking into getting a bluetooth-FM converter to I can broadcast my phone to the radio so I can still "tune in" to the music - the only Radio station around Bath with a reliable signal is Greatest Fucking Hits Radio, and I refuse to entertain their monopoly now they have eaten JACKFM Oxford
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks