Need amp...

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

esta
480 Is my middle name

Need amp...

Post by esta » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi

I am currently looking for an amp for a pair of 6x9s i was bought as a present.

Im looking for something powerful but cheap (im a meer student ;) ) my 6x9s are 500w each so im not looking for an amp with 500 or less.

Also...according to this websites accessories there are 3 amplifiers that are (or were...) avialable:

Are they still available? and what prices? and where from?

Are they any good?

Thanks all ;)
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Re: Need amp...

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 pm

esta wrote: my 6x9s are 500w each
:shock:

Bloody hell, thats massive! Whats the RMS wattage of those? If you look in the booklet or on the box, it will tell you the RMS of those. Generally manufacturers tend to over-inflate the power. The 500w is probably the best it will perform in certain conditions at certain levels etc.

I had a 500w sub in my first 440-the actual RMS was about 200w. If you're looking for a 500w amp though, these work the same. You want the actual RMS figure. You don't want an Amp that is more powerful than your speakers-it will blow them!

If your speakers are 500w, i'd guess they're no more than 300w RMS, so you should be looking for an amp thats equal in RMS or a little lower. 500w amps are pretty expensive though...

As for the Volvo ones, i'd expect you'd have great difficulty sourcing one of those, but even if you could, i'd be doubtful as to whether they'd power your 6x9's!

Dan
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

esta
480 Is my middle name

Re: Need amp...

Post by esta » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Dan the 480 Man wrote:
esta wrote: my 6x9s are 500w each
:shock:

Bloody hell, thats massive!
Dan
:lol: just shows u what i know lol i thought that was quite low when u hear people goin on about 1000w speakers n that.

These were my mates old 6x9s (he's upgraded to 1000w RMS) apparently mine are actually 450w RMS...all these numbers :shock: Like u said think the 500w is the top it can do in those certain conditions.

Hmmm as for amp sze, my mate was able to get hold of an 800w amp and pioneer sub for £100 from soem market, so im hoping to nab the same offer ;) or would 800w b too strong??

and talkin about blowing speakers, will the front cones b able to cope? My friend tells me mine are paper (?) and will prob blow so i should consider getting some plastic ones...

Anyways, thanks for your reply, and for lettin me know bout the Volvo amps, will see what can be done over weekend !!! :hopping:

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Well, i don't think you'll have a problem with a bigger amp, you'll just have to set it up properly & not too loud!

With regards to the front speakers-if they're running off the headunit, then you could adjust the amp/6x9s when the paper cones are at their stress point, e.g. when they distort. Just turn the stereo up until the volvo cones distort, then adjust the amp accordingly-getting the most out of the 6x9s at the limit set by the Volvo cones.

I personally find amp/sub/component systems easier to work with. A bit more expensive, but a good quality. You can just dedicate the component speakers to mid/treble and dedicate the sub to the bass. But 6x9s work. I'd reccommend upgrading the speakers though. Depends how much you want to spend! My GF has some really good, wallet friendly Pioneers in the her Clio, and they're 13cm like the 480, and with just a sub they sound really crisp. Something like that, that can handle a bit of bass would be ideal with 6x9s, so you get a bit of punch coming from the front as opposed to just the rear.

I think that makes sense...i'm listening to some weird 'Boards Of Canada' atm, so my heads not really concentrating! Any Q's feel free to ask!

:D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Well thank you very much for your help :)

Today i managed to wangle a new Fli 800w amp and Champion Pioneer Sub for £95-both brand new!

Anyway, once i have my parcel shelf and sub box made n set up i hope all will be dandy. Thanks for the advice on the front cones, will be very careful wit them until i can get some plastic ones sorted.

Cheers again ;)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

pepper
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by pepper » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:19 pm

I was going to point you in the direction of Wellesborne market there's some chaps on there on saturday mornings who know their stuff.
Oy Wanderer thats my Smoke Silver Volvo 480 now.

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:21 pm

Its strange you should say that, as Wellesbourne IS where i got them!! :lol:

www.projectjaguar.co.uk