A Mac mini+7" LCD in 480

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

JJ
480 Newbie

A Mac mini+7" LCD in 480

Post by JJ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 am

Still not finished completely (need to get the bezels for both computer and the screen, also the dashboard will get a leather cover), but already quite usable and useful. The computer can handle the usual media playback (also from an attached iPod), navigation, online services (mail reader with voice output), telephone (proprietary GSM box as well as standard Bluetoot) and some more...

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 pm

That's really cool! Not many Mac user's here id on't think, due to the flaming we receive :lol: I was thinking about a Mac Mini a few months back-nice and small and ready to just slot into the car. You got any pics of the connections and how it's all wired in?

I'd like one in there as a permanent solution-i have my iPod in the car but it's just hassle. My concern was that iTunes was too fiddly to use on touchscreen though-but you've obviously found a player/plug-in/program to combat that. And i as i use my Digi SLR quite a bit (i always have it in the car, never know when a good photo opportunity will strike!), it would be a good way of downloading the pictures and being able to view them straight away without just relying on the camera screen.

Did the Mac have to be modified in anyway to get it into that space?

Good work, i like! :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:53 pm

You got any pics of the connections and how it's all wired in?
Yes, I will have a webpage with details up shortly. This is not actually my first installation. I did my first one in 2002 (with a PowerMac G4). The connections are rather easy - Carnetix P1900 as power supply and startup/shtutdown controller, the screen, rotary controller (USB), GPS receiver over Bluetooth. Using built-in audio jack now, but I will have to switch to an USB module to eliminate the noise.
My concern was that iTunes was too fiddly to use on touchscreen
It is indeed. As are most of the existing applications. But I do not use touchscreen for safety reasons (althought the screen I have does have a touch panel). I am using a rotary controller (Logitech NuLOOQ) instead.
but you've obviously found a player/plug-in/program to combat that
Not exactly. I could not find it so I wrote it :-)
And i as i use my Digi SLR quite a bit (i always have it in the car, never know when a good photo opportunity will strike!), it would be a good way of downloading the pictures and being able to view them straight away without just relying on the camera screen.
Something like this? ;-) Of course it also has a fullscreen mode.

Did the Mac have to be modified in anyway to get it into that space?
The Mac was not modified, except for small piece of plastics, that holds it in place - it is glued on the bottom, parallel to the front side. It sits against the plastic piece inside the tunnel, preventing the Mac from moving forwards. But I admit, it was a little tricky to get it where it is (after removing the carpeting on the side of the middle tunnel). Originally I planned to place it a bit lower and access it from the side (close to floor air outlet), but I was worried about bad air circulation (because the bottom of the computer would be on the carpet).

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Yeah, thats pretty cool. I'd like to do something similar but it's a long way off with all thing's i need to do though :lol:

Any pictures of your old install then? I like seeing thing's like this, it get's the creative juices flowing!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Whats a mac mini, come to think of it - whats a mac?

;-) sorry that prob wasn't very pc (!) of me.

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 am

Matthew Brennan wrote:Whats a mac mini, come to think of it - whats a mac?
A 'mac' is a raincoat ... inspector gadget always wears one!

sorry, couldn't resist! :D
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

ForZe
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ForZe » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:03 am

Perhaps you could give this one a go : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=140

I guess you optimalized the software for the logitech, but i dont see any saftey problems with a touchscreen... Ofcourse you need to have software to match thick fingers. but outside from that its the same as pushing a button on your radio ?

There are loads of frontends for windows (go with roadrunner), i know you can run windows on the newer macs perhaps also on the mac mini with a hack or two.. (prolly going to get flames by the mac fans now :P).. or port a linux frontend to mac .. dunno if that is possible.

Cant you port the interface to windows, have to say that i really like it.

Wish i had the time to put the screen in like you did, very nice job when the bezel is in place i think.
White 480 Turbo '91, full leather, white blinkers, daily driver.

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:14 pm

ForZe wrote:Ofcourse you need to have software to match thick fingers. but outside from that its the same as pushing a button on your radio ?
The buton does physically exist and you do not need to look at it to press it. With touchscreen it is quite difficult to hit any button, that does not take up *a lot* of screen space, without looking at it.
There are loads of frontends for windows (go with roadrunner), i know you can run windows on the newer macs perhaps also on the mac mini with a hack or two.. (prolly going to get flames by the mac fans now :P).. or port a linux frontend to mac .. dunno if that is possible.
Right. I can run Windows on Mac mini (without any hack, it is officially supported). I can also jump out of window (7th floor) or move from Holland to North Korea. I just do not have any reason to do any of these things ;-)
Cant you port the interface to windows, have to say that i really like it.
Perhaps over time when .NET and C# get more better - at the moment, they are still missing some of the capabilities of Cocoa/Objective C

ForZe
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ForZe » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:16 pm

JJ wrote: The buton does physically exist and you do not need to look at it to press it. With touchscreen it is quite difficult to hit any button, that does not take up *a lot* of screen space, without looking at it.
Just install road runner and try it on a 7" works like a charm for me... does help that you made a frontend that is able to work with it.. there hardly are any.. if any frontends around that work with a .. well 'idrive' like wheel
JJ wrote: Right. I can run Windows on Mac mini (without any hack, it is officially supported). I can also jump out of window (7th floor) or move from Holland to North Korea. I just do not have any reason to do any of these things ;-)
True :P tought about using linux myself but couldnt be botherd with taking the effort to making a perfect install.

Any plans for hooking it up to the pc, i can remember rpuen was looking into something like that. Still have not got the time to try anything myself
White 480 Turbo '91, full leather, white blinkers, daily driver.

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:01 pm

Amost done. I will need to redo the surface of the Mac front cover and the screen bezel, but except for that, everything is up and running nicely. I have an appointment for APK (MOT in UK) in two weeks, so I wonder whether I will hear any comments. I may remove the controller in order not to provoke too much (it is rather close to the stick) ;-) but other for that, I hope I will be fine.

muddyfox470
480 Rookie

Post by muddyfox470 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Sorry for only reading this now, but I am very intrigued and impressed by your work here.

Is it fully working now for you?

Ian
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,480ES,white,black.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/muddyfox470/480bilt/]'93 480ES 2litre - Steel Grey Metallic - 70k Miles - Bought March 07 :P[/url]
(Click for pictures :D )

JJ
480 Newbie

Post by JJ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:35 am

muddyfox470 wrote:Sorry for only reading this now, but I am very intrigued and impressed by your work here.

Is it fully working now for you?
Yes, it has been fully working for me for quite some time now. Just finishing our own navigation module this month.