ICE install and lights...

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

wreeve
Started learning about 480

ICE install and lights...

Post by wreeve » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:02 pm

... guys, wired up my pioneer head unit and it works well...apart from I seem to have broken the little "light bulb" indicator on the dash board! It used to be lit green to, I presume, indicate that the running lights were on. Now it doesn't light up! The running lights work as before. It might have something to do with the "illumination" feed to the Pioneer which is meant to dim the display when the headlights are on...but the feed in the ISO plus is live all the time the ignition is on...I presume as the running lights are on!

Also, the switched ignition feed in the ISO plug isn't switched; it's live all the time. This would explain why the head unit doesn't switch on/off with the accessory position on the ignition. The original Philips didn't switch off either.

Is there an easy switch live I can use. I was thinking of using the "illumination" wire as this seems to behave how I want.

I’ve also got to feed the changer cable to the boot, how do I get the plastic strip by the doors off (it holds the carpet down) without breaking it?

Keep well all,

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:24 pm

In my 440, I spliced into the cabling for the heated seats as these only work from acc1 and higher. To remove the carpet trim in my car, just pull upwards. They are only held down by clips.

Not sure about your lights on tell tale. Have you checked the bulb in the dash?

HTH

Ed
440 GLT Turbo

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Re: ICE install and lights...

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:53 pm

wreeve wrote: Is there an easy switch live I can use. I was thinking of using the "illumination" wire as this seems to behave how I want.
That's the wire I used, works fine

The light on the dash, as Ed says, it's probably the bulb thats blown

And the plastic strip, just pull it, it should come off, if it seems to not want to then use a screwdriver to prise it up

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

wreeve

Post by wreeve » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks guys, the cable is nearly routed to the back. I followed the original gaffer taped loom under the carpet and it's all gone back fine. You can't see the installation. I've decided to velcro the changer onto the rear wheel arch as I don't want to screw into the body work.
I was going to pick up GND from the big metal work in the center of the car, is this structual, it seems attached to the car via huge "gold" bolts!

Keep well,

Will
480 Celebration number 133
Too many 6 cylinder Vauxhalls
TR7 V8

Ed.

Post by Ed. » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Ground for what? an amp? The best ground would actually be the battery negative but for most uses, grounding to the bodywork is fine. To get a better ground/contact, rub down the contact area using emery cloth until it is down to metal.

Ed
440 GLT Turbo

kennymac
Location: In the poor hoose due to cash hemoraging from bank to Isuzu Trooper!!!!

Post by kennymac » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 pm

A smear of copper grease on the earth wire to body connection should help keep the tin worm at bay as well (Infact if its got a thread, whatever it is slap on some Coppaslip or similar, you wont regret it!) :D .

K
Y reg mk1 XR2 - braw fun, now departed
H reg 480 ES Just Goes, now departed
M reg 480 2.0l S (Chassis No 592056) Even better, still going (for now)
Thinking about a turbo - it's all your fault, mind you, saw a black XR4i the other day...........

Rikaitch
480 Newbie

Post by Rikaitch » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 pm

I have to admit I have a 12 volt feed direct from the battery to the boot, primarily for my amp and also a 240v 800w inverter. I used an old orange garden mains lead, and wound both cores inside together for extra current. That, and all the speaker cables etc I took along the top of the centre tunnel under the carpet because it's easy to remove the centre console and get to the hole in the carpet for the handbrake assembly. The cable then passes underneath the back seats into the boot easily.

I used the feed going to the fan speed control, because this is live only when the key is turned to position 1. it's right next to the stereo as well, so it's ideal for such an occasion.
Currently on Volvo 440 number 4, and after scrapping my first 480, I will get another one when space/money allows it.

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm

wreeve wrote:I was going to pick up GND from the big metal work in the center of the car, is this structual, it seems attached to the car via huge "gold" bolts!
I used the buckle of a rear seatbelt for my ground ;)
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i